babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » The Saddam Trial

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: The Saddam Trial
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 14 February 2006 02:26 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
We really should have an archive on this:

Saddam aides defy Iraqi tribunal

quote:
On entering court, Saddam Hussein said: "They have forcibly brought me here."

He told the judge: "Exercise your right to try me in absentia. Are you trying to overcome your own smallness?"

"The law will be implemented," said the judge, who banged his gavel on several occasions.

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 13 March 2006 04:02 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Co-defendants testify as Saddam trial resumes

quote:
But to convict the former Iraqi leader, they will likely have to convince the five-judge panel that Saddam was aware the crackdown went beyond the authors of the assassination attempt and aimed to punish a large civilian population.

Families — including women and young children — were swept up in the arrests and spent years in prison, and large swaths of farmland owned by Dujail families were razed. A string of Dujail residents have testified they were tortured in prison.

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 13 March 2006 04:03 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
"If the court passes a death sentence on any of the defendants in the Dujail case, the law is clear, the sentence must be carried out within 30 days following the appeal," Mussawi said.

"As for other cases (in which they have been charged), the court will only judge living defendants as those executed cannot be tried," he added.

Saddam must be snuffed out fast

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 16 March 2006 06:31 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Saddam Urges Iraqis to Unite Against GIs

quote:
BAGHDAD, Iraq - Saddam Hussein, testifying Wednesday for the first time in his trial, called on Iraqis to stop killing each other and instead fight U.S. troops. The judge reprimanded him for making a rambling, political speech and ordered the TV cameras switched off.

Saddam began his speech by declaring he was the elected president, touching off a shouting match with chief judge Raouf Abdel-Rahman.

"You used to be a head of state. You are a defendant now," Abdel-Rahman told him.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 16 March 2006 06:33 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Excerpts from Saddam-judge exchange

quote:
Saddam (reading from a written speech): What pains me most is what I heard recently about something that aims to harm our people. My conscience tells me that the great people of Iraq have nothing to do with these strange and horrid acts, the bombing of the shrine of Imam Ali al-Hadi and Hassan al-Askari ... which led to the burning of mosques in Baghdad, which are the houses of God, and the burning of other mosques in other cities of Iraq ...

Abdel-Rahman: Listen, what does this speech have to do with our case? We asked you to give your testimony on the subject of Dujail and your role as the head of state of the time.

Saddam: I am the head of state.

Abdel-Rahman: You used to be the head of state. Now you are a defendant in a court. ... You stand before a court, not on a political platform.
Saddam: I stand before the Iraqi people.
Abdel-Rahman: As a judge, I don't deal with you on political issues. I'm asking you legally. You gave testimony before the investigating judges about your role in the Dujail issue. You have to explain that case.

Saddam (resumes reading): The bloodshed that they (the Americans) have caused to the Iraqi people only made them more intent and strong to evict the foreigners from their land and liberate their country. ... Let the people resist the invaders and their supporters rather than kill each other. ... Oh Iraqis, men and women, ... those who blew up the shrine are shameful criminals _

unionist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11323

posted 16 March 2006 11:34 AM      Profile for unionist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Gee, he still sounds like a leader. Is there anyone in Iraq saying these same things who doesn't have a record like Saddam Hussein's? If not, then Iraq has no future.
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 06 April 2006 06:08 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hussein Is Cross-Examined for First Time

quote:
Shortly before a lunch break today, Mr. Mousawi asked Mr. Hussein, the only defendant in the dock during the session, how he could have taken only two days to review evidence before signing an execution order for 148 people.

"That is the right of the head of the state," Mr. Hussein replied, standing behind a lectern in a black suit, swiveling his head between the prosecutor and the chief judge, Raouf Abdel-Rahman.

Mr. Hussein said he had complied with any requirements in the Iraqi constitution mandating that he review the documents. "But it was not possible for me to read everything," he said.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 06 April 2006 06:13 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Saddam says Shi'ite-run ministry kills thousands

quote:
Sunni Arabs, who were dominant during his rule, accuse the ministry of running death squads and Saddam said it was now the "side that kills thousands in the street and tortures them."

Saddam, who could face death by hanging, remained defiant one day after the court announced new charges that he ordered genocide against the ethnic Kurds in the late 1980s.

When the judge interrupted him, Saddam said: "If you're scared of the interior minister, he doesn't scare my dog."

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca