babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Huge Egyptian ferry sinks in Red Sea

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Huge Egyptian ferry sinks in Red Sea
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 03 February 2006 07:48 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This looks really bad. Egyptian ferry sinks in Red Sea

It was carrying more than 1,300 people.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Clog-boy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11061

posted 03 February 2006 08:51 AM      Profile for Clog-boy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Looks like Titanic all over again
Already predictions are being made of finding more bodies than survivors. Just heared on the news, the ferry company has redirected 3 vessels in the area, but no good news has come from them...

From: Arnhem, The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 03 February 2006 09:02 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Dreadful.

Y'know, big ferries in many places make me a li'l nervous. When you look at the photos, they look substantial, but when you get in the huge modern ones, you realize that you're on what is basically a floating platform with sides. There's something horribly flimsy about them, and they don't feel as though they could rock with the waves. I'd always rather sail in a real boat.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 03 February 2006 10:10 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Terrible and sad.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Peech
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9272

posted 03 February 2006 12:43 PM      Profile for Peech   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
This is really tragic.
And many take safety for granted when travelling on domestic lines like BC Ferries...

From: Babbling Brook | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 04 February 2006 03:57 PM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What a tragedy. It brings back horrible memories of that ferry sinking between me (Stockholm) and Estonia ten years ago.

I wonder how long it will be before mad conspiracy theories start circulating that it was a "Zionist plot" to kill Muslims returning from the Hajj.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 04 February 2006 04:00 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Probably longer than it takes for someone to come and troll this thread to make sidelong swipes about primitive "Arab" ignorance.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 04 February 2006 07:29 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Exactly. Why would you even go there, Stockholm? Jesus.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 04 February 2006 07:57 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
He wants to demonstrate consistency?
From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 06 February 2006 09:11 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Egyptians ransack ferry firm office

quote:
SAFAGA, Egypt (Reuters) - Angry Egyptians seeking news of relatives lost aboard the ferry which sank in the Red Sea last week ransacked the office of the vessel's owners on Monday and set fire to the furniture, witnesses said.

gabong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8663

posted 07 February 2006 01:20 AM      Profile for gabong     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
one more example of how all human life is not equally valuable.
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 07 February 2006 02:15 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I am sure there is some heavy philosophy behind that, or the wiff of THC, but as for me I just don't get yah.
gabong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8663

posted 07 February 2006 03:21 AM      Profile for gabong     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cueball:
I am sure there is some heavy philosophy behind that, or the wiff of THC, but as for me I just don't get yah.

Just that the media and public reaction to 1000+ deaths in Egypt/Saudi Arabia is quite different than the reaction to 1000+ deaths in the USA or Canada or Europe.

Not a really insightful comment on my part.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca