babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Christian candidate on Hamas ticket

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Christian candidate on Hamas ticket
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 25 January 2006 09:19 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Al Jazeera

quote:
Hosam al-Taweel, 40, is a Christian candidate running on the electoral ticket of Islamic resistance group Hamas in Gaza, in the upcoming Palestinian parliamentary elections.

He is competing for one of six seats specially designated for the Christian community in the Palestinian Legislative Council (PLC).

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 25 January 2006 09:52 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I've sent this to a Christian Arab friend of mine here (Egyptian Coptic, and by "Christian" I'm not referring to any faith in the Trinity but to her family background). She has supported the Palestinian and Arab cause for many years but is also concerned about the rights of Christian (and historical Jewish) communities to live in Arab and Middle Eastern lands.

I'm concerned too. Certainly see that Hamas takes a more militant stance in terms of Palestinian rights than Hamas, and alas the left (FPLP and FDLP) has been sidelined, along with community groups. But it would be foolish to ignore the social agenda of Hamas, in terms of women's rights, minority rights, and people's rights to live as they please - understanding that such rights are very limited by the very circumstances of the occupation.

Ni Dieu ni maître!

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 25 January 2006 10:42 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Certainly see that Hamas takes a more militant stance in terms of Palestinian rights than Hamas

Hamas, or Fatah?

quote:
Ni Dieu ni maître!

Nice one, but would anarchists consider any election worth contesting?

High turnout at Palestinian polls

[ 25 January 2006: Message edited by: al-Qa'bong ]

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca