babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » 120 olive trees felled in West Bank

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: 120 olive trees felled in West Bank
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 08 January 2006 09:47 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Amira Hass of Haaretz reports:
quote:
Some 120 olive trees belonging to a Palestinian family were cut down in the southern Hebron Hills, the family said Friday.

The olive grove is located across from the West Bank village of Tawaneh, and belongs to a family from the village of Yata. Children from Tawaneh discovered the mutilated trees on Friday morning and informed the landowners, the Amur family. Police and Civil Administration officials arrived at the scene, as did the security coordinator for settlements in the area. The Amur family was urged to file a complaint with the Kiryat Arba police.

Olive grove destroyed.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 08 January 2006 10:10 AM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
lagatta, thanks for the info and I am saddened and angered by such an awful display of oppression and intimidation.

Info about Zatoun, an organization that sells fair trade virgin olive oil.

Zatoun web site
Palestine Fair Trade

From: It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent - Q | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 08 January 2006 01:26 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
bcg, thanks for the link on fair-trade oil from Palestine. Here is more from Haaretz on the destruction of Palestinian olive trees. The picture of the Palestinian woman with her mutilated tree is worth many words. (Sorry folks, guess I am a bit of a tree-hugger). Olive trees take forever to be productive - perhaps her grandfather planted that one when she was a little girl.

Note the use of the Israeli government euphemism "separation fence" in this article by two well-known progressive Israeli journalists. A heavy-handed editor?

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 08 January 2006 01:42 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm amazed - but in a good way, I guess - that the attorney general has taken this to cabinet. I've never had a sense before that the Israeli government grasped just how serious this kind of destruction is - or cared - given that many, many trees were bulldozed by the government itself in order to make way for the wall or ostensibly to protect settlements.

And it sounds as though Mazuz has not made much headway before with some of his cabinet colleagues. What they seem to be reacting to now is the perception of rising lawlessness among the settlers, which of course threatens the Israeli government as well.

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 08 January 2006 03:31 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that nobody will ever get punished for this.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 08 January 2006 04:42 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It's that old story, don't you know; making the desert bloom.

[ 08 January 2006: Message edited by: al-Qa'bong ]

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca