babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » AFGHANISTAN: First photo exhibition of female photographers

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: AFGHANISTAN: First photo exhibition of female photographers
Jay Williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11367

posted 30 December 2005 06:00 AM      Profile for Jay Williams        Edit/Delete Post
KABUL, 29 December (IRIN) - In a further bid to boost the capacity of women, Afghanistan's Ministry of Women Affairs (MOWA) for the first time on Thursday inaugurated a photographic exhibition of 40 newly trained female photographers in the Afghan capital, Kabul.

Reuters

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 30 December 2005 06:05 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sounds like a wonderful initiative. Many more are needed, but I am especially glad to hear that women from outside Kabul are also benefiting from such training.

Now we need to know that other departments of Mr Karzai's government are going to stop undermining freedom of expression about women's rights, as well as those rights themselves.

Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 30 December 2005 06:10 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Today Afghanistan has one of the highest maternal mortality rates in the world. Some 70 pregnant women die every day, often during childbirth. About 20 percent of Afghan children die before the age of five, according to the United Nation's Children's Fund (UNICEF) Afghanistan office.

I think the first area the fundamentalists need to address is health care. They need a national health care system. The right to life is a basic one.

From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 30 December 2005 06:27 AM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm always so impressed by the courage of the women of Afghanistan. The are true soldiers in the struggle for freedom and democracy. Jay, your post about the women photographers made me think about Nadia Anjuman , a young poet recently murdered by her husband for her writing.

In my professional life I've had some involvement with Afghan settlement services, and gotten to know some Afghan women fairly well. In terms of mental health issues, the incidence of post-traumatic stress is something like 85% among Afghan immigrants. This is enormous compared to other groups, even those from strife ridden areas.

For anyone interested, this is a disturbing yet hopeful site to look around in.

[ 30 December 2005: Message edited by: oldgoat ]

From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 30 December 2005 07:19 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If the situation wasn't so hopeless for women and Afghani's in general, we might be encouraged by the voter turnout among women there during the last election. But who have they got to vote for besides a Northern Alliance faction who brutalized women moreso than the Talib regime?. The rate of suicide among Afghani women by self-burning stands at an appalling rate. There are still reports of marauding militias raping girls as young as eight and nine years of age and forced marriages to older men.

At least they don't have to endure Taliban ministry of vice and virtue staging public executions of women who violate Sharia law - for wearing nail polish or caught w/o burqas outside of home. I don't think they shoot women in the head in a Kabul soccer stadium anymore while crowds cheer on. Every cloud has a silver lining, I guess. God help them.

Webgear
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9443

posted 30 December 2005 08:36 AM      Profile for Webgear     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Fidel

What province with low female voter turnouts rare you referring to? On average the female voter turnout was around 35% and higher in some provinces.

Daikundi Province Results

Herat Province Results

Badakhshan Province Results

The total voter turout was 13 million people, or 51% of the total population. The voter turnout will mostly be better than the results that will happen in Canada on the 23rd of next month.

From: Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 30 December 2005 09:07 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Webgear:
Fidel

What province with low female voter turnouts rare you referring to?

I thought that my mention of an "encouraging voter turnout" by women in the last election that it might be inferred as being a ray of hope for women's rights in that country. But I guessed wrong. I mean, all we have to do is observe the chattel slavery of women in countries like Kuwait, Thailand, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia to grasp the true depth and breadth of progress made by liberal democracy with Washington influence in recent years. My grandmother used to be so positive about life in general. I think I need to channel her now, seriously.

Tell us more about the de-mining efforts by Canadian troops? or Canadian's in Aghanistan, please, Webgear?. I think that's a very positive thing happening there. A very good beginning, for sure.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca