babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Relocate Afghanistan

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Relocate Afghanistan
LiberalPrisoner
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11293

posted 26 December 2005 02:58 PM      Profile for LiberalPrisoner     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
In another thread, Ceti points out:

Strange here how Afghanistan has been absorbed into begin discussed in the middle east section, when it really is a part of Central and South Asia.

Not all Muslims are Arabs.
Not all Muslim issues are Middle East issues.

It makes sense to either move Afghanistan threads out of Middle East, or else rename the Middle East section "Threads involving Israel and/or the Muslim World"

After which, it makes sense to delete this thread

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 26 December 2005 03:06 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wow. Just looking at the title of this thread, I was about to BLOW UP!

People have understandably been starting Afghanistan threads in the ME forum because of the joint imperialist invasions going on at the moment.

Like all of Central Asia, Afghanistan has been a crossroads and a victim of both Russian and Western imperialism for so long (at least two centuries) that it would be disingenuous to claim any firm dividing line between the Stans and the ME.

The very term "the Middle East" is an imperialist term: if you decide to look even at European civilization from, eg, the Black Sea, which appears an increasingly reasonable thing to do, you will recognize the problem.

And where would you put discussions of Iran?

retread
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9957

posted 26 December 2005 09:59 PM      Profile for retread     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, China has an imperialist invasion into Tibet going on, so Afghanistan would probably fit into there as well ... lots of competition for "most evil empire", out there, which might be why Bush is thinking of adding a few more invasions.

But "Middle East" doesn't refer to a continent, but a region straddling continents. Afghanistan seems to fit into the common definition of the middle east.

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 27 December 2005 12:50 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
But "Middle East" doesn't refer to a continent, but a region straddling continents. Afghanistan seems to fit into the common definition of the middle east.

I agree.

We could call the region the "Near-Orient" and be no less innaccurate.

What bugs me is that threads about Egypt and Iraq (as is currrently happening) are sometimes NOT placed in the Middle East section of babble.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca