babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Saudi Arabia: Court Orders Eye to Be Gouged Out

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Saudi Arabia: Court Orders Eye to Be Gouged Out
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 20 December 2005 07:26 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Perhaps the USA could take time from spreading democracy around the Middle East to giving their long-time ally some pointers on jurisprudence.

Torture Sentence for Indian Migrant Worker Follows Clash With Saudi Citizen

Saudi Arabia acceded to the Convention against Torture in 1997. However, Noushad’s case is the third known instance over the past year in which a Saudi court has issued a sentence of eye-gouging, Human Rights Watch said. Saudi law allows for maiming, including the severing of limbs and severe flogging, as judicial punishments.

Oh, right...forget it...

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
freeThinker
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11348

posted 20 December 2005 07:49 PM      Profile for freeThinker        Edit/Delete Post
An eye for an eye, and so forth... I guess the Indian was unable to come up with the blood money. Fucking savages. Hard to say what's worse, losing the eye or the death penalty. I'd say the eye, because without 2 I'd be unable to earn a living, at least what I'm doing now. I say, nuke the whole fucking country and steal their oil. Need some weed man, need to mellow out.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 20 December 2005 08:09 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, okay, see you.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 20 December 2005 08:14 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I'd say the eye, because without 2 I'd be unable to earn a living, at least what I'm doing now.

Yaaarrr! Have ye considered Piracy?

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
anne cameron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8045

posted 20 December 2005 08:18 PM      Profile for anne cameron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed is king"
From: tahsis, british columbia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 20 December 2005 08:49 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:

Yeah, okay, see you.

Is that irony, or is that irony ?! I mean, I ask you...

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 20 December 2005 08:55 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh man, Heph, I didn't even think of that. It was totally unintended, of course.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 20 December 2005 08:56 PM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Any country that allows torture, detention without charge and 'disappearing' has not a leg to stand on regarding human rights. I include Canada in that list.
From: I'm a solipsist - isn't everyone? | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kevin_Laddle
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8163

posted 20 December 2005 09:16 PM      Profile for Kevin_Laddle   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by freeThinker:
An eye for an eye, and so forth... I guess the Indian was unable to come up with the blood money. Fucking savages. Hard to say what's worse, losing the eye or the death penalty. I'd say the eye, because without 2 I'd be unable to earn a living, at least what I'm doing now. I say, nuke the whole fucking country and steal their oil. Need some weed man, need to mellow out.

Sounds like you need a lot more than some weed, ass whipe.

From: ISRAEL IS A TERRORIST STATE. ASK THE FAMILIES OF THE QANA MASSACRE VICTIMS. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 21 December 2005 08:57 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It's really too bad that troll showed up, because there is some really important discussion to be had about the Saudi sentence. Neither Canadian nor American political leaders are suggesting we isolate the Saudi government over this (and worse) judgements. Imagine the official uproar if this sentence came out of Syria, as an example.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
CHCMD
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10246

posted 21 December 2005 09:25 AM      Profile for CHCMD   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Briguy:
It's really too bad that troll showed up,

Whersatroll, whereisit, don'tseeit, did see a guy fighting THC withdrawl, but no troll . . .

jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 21 December 2005 10:10 AM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The defendant in the Saudi case caused the victim to lose his eye.

So the Saudi Court imposed the Biblical punishment, an eye for an eye.

And you guys want Bush to criticize the Bible???
Say it's wrong?

He'd alienate his base.

Américain Égalitaire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7911

posted 21 December 2005 10:26 AM      Profile for Américain Égalitaire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff house:
The defendant in the Saudi case caused the victim to lose his eye.

So the Saudi Court imposed the Biblical punishment, an eye for an eye.

And you guys want Bush to criticize the Bible???
Say it's wrong?

He'd alienate his base.

You'd be amazed at the number of Americans I have met that enthusiastically endorse this kind of punishment.

From: Chardon, Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 21 December 2005 11:08 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Jeff's post got me wondering if there is any movement (or tiny group even) advocating adopting Biblical law in the US.

We've seen how the Old Testament Right has taken over the White House; will something similar ever happen to the Constitution?

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 21 December 2005 02:20 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
"The Constitution is only a piece of paper."

-- G.W. Bush

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 21 December 2005 02:23 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't think that quote has been confirmed. I comes from Washington Blue, or something like that, which is about as substantiated as Frank Magazine. This does not mean that Frank Magazine does not get it right, but that this last quote is not substantiated, except by unamed sources.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
voice of the damned
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6943

posted 22 December 2005 04:57 AM      Profile for voice of the damned     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I don't think that quote has been confirmed. I comes from Washington Blue, or something like that, which is about as substantiated as Frank Magazine. This does not mean that Frank Magazine does not get it right, but that this last quote is not substantiated, except by unamed sources.

I think the website is called Capitol Hill Blue, and yeah, I wouldn't consider it the most credible source either.

For my money, it seems unlikely to me that Bush said that, and here's why: Bush strikes me as the kind of guy who, while having de facto contempt for what the constitution actually represents, would still hold the document itself in reverence, as part of the American "civic religion" pantheon. Sorta like the way some Christians might go around flouting every principle that Jesus ever taught, but would never dream of saying something like "that Jesus, what a panty-waist loser".

As well, I'm usually suspicious when something that sounds like a criticism of someone's policies is alleged to have come out of the mouth of the person himself. I have serious doubts, for example, that Stalin ever said "One death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic".

[ 22 December 2005: Message edited by: voice of the damned ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca