babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » No Kenny G. for you!

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: No Kenny G. for you!
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 20 December 2005 10:05 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has banned Western music from Iran's radio and TV stations, reviving one of the harshest cultural decrees from the early days of 1979 Islamic revolution.

Songs such as George Michael's Careless Whisper, Eric Clapton's Rush and the Eagles' Hotel California have regularly accompanied Iranian broadcasts, as do tunes by saxophonist Kenny G.

But the official Iran Persian daily reported today Ahmadinejad, as head of Iran's Supreme Cultural Revolutionary Council, ordered the enactment of an October ruling by the council to ban Western music.

. . . .

Music was outlawed as un-Islamic by Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini soon after the revolution. But as the fervour of the revolution started to fade, light classical music was allowed on radio and television. Some public concerts reappeared in the late 1980s.

http://tinyurl.com/9lklm

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 20 December 2005 10:07 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Man, what a headcase.

I haven't been following Iranian politics for a while - kept up on it more when I was living with an Iranian citizen. But it sounds like things are really going fundy in Iran lately. Not that it wasn't horrid there before, but it sounds like it's getting worse and worse.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca