babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » P.M. Sharon taken to hospital with suspected stroke

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: P.M. Sharon taken to hospital with suspected stroke
miles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7209

posted 18 December 2005 03:08 PM      Profile for miles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
From CNN
quote:
JERUSALEM (CNN) -- Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon was taken to the city's main hospital Sunday, a source in his office told CNN.

The source said the 77-year-old leader was in his office around 8 p.m. (1 p.m. ET), said he was not feeling well and was taken to Hadassah Ein Karem Hospital in Jerusalem.

Israeli Channel 10 reported that Sharon suffered a minor stroke and was conscious.

CNN Sharon taken to hospital

[ 18 December 2005: Message edited by: miles ]

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 18 December 2005 03:10 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That is too bad.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
fern hill
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3582

posted 18 December 2005 03:12 PM      Profile for fern hill        Edit/Delete Post
NOT our Sharon. Ariel Sharon.

Holy moly, miles. Please change the title before you give more babblers a start.

quelar
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2739

posted 18 December 2005 03:18 PM      Profile for quelar     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Fern, I don't think anyone's going to be confused when they see that it's in the Middle East forum.
From: In Dig Nation | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 December 2005 03:19 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I am so sorry to hear this, and I wish him a speedy recovery.

The report says "a minor stroke" - well, in a sense, none of them is ever truly minor, but we can and do recover well from some, and I always hope to see that.

It is always so humbling.

fern hill
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3582

posted 18 December 2005 03:19 PM      Profile for fern hill        Edit/Delete Post
I was just about to edit my post above on that point, quelar, but I saw it on TAT and clicked without checking the forum.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 December 2005 03:21 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I agree with fern hill, though: my first thought was of our Sharon. miles, can you insert an Ariel in there?
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 18 December 2005 03:22 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It took me by surprise too.

I do get used to headlines though. Some recent ones: "It is naive to imagine that Sharon will change" and "Sharon soars in polls" or even "Senior Citizens Want Sharon."

But I'm fine. Keep your fingers crossed.

And of course, I wish Ariel a speedy recovery also.

[ 18 December 2005: Message edited by: Sharon ]

From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 December 2005 03:25 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sharon: you just keep eating your broccoli, y'hear?
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 18 December 2005 03:34 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Sharon: you just keep eating your broccoli, y'hear?

[Thread drift]I'm having fresh lobster today -- is that okay? The Eastern Passage NDP riding association makes up lobster dinners and delivers them to your house (with fresh rolls and potato salad) as a fundraiser. It's lobster season on the southern and eastern shore of Nova Scotia so we know they were probably landed yesterday.[/Thread drift]

But... I love broccoli too and I'll take your advice!

From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
robbie_dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 195

posted 18 December 2005 04:07 PM      Profile for robbie_dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sharon:
[Thread drift]I'm having fresh lobster today -- is that okay? The Eastern Passage NDP riding association makes up lobster dinners and delivers them to your house (with fresh rolls and potato salad) as a fundraiser. It's lobster season on the southern and eastern shore of Nova Scotia so we know they were probably landed yesterday.[/Thread drift]

Damn, I wish I lived in Nova Scotia. Yumm.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 18 December 2005 04:15 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This thread may be of some historical importance, at least as a reference.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 December 2005 04:21 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Cueball, there are many countries. Sometimes in life one is surprised to find oneself suddenly a citizen of a new one.

The country of strokes is a country. Many of us feel at least some allegiance.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 18 December 2005 04:53 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hmm, I was suggesting this might not be an appropriate place to have light hearted tete-a-tete's about cooking in the Maritimes, for several reasons, that among them. However I might feel about Sharon.

I am making no comment on my personal views abou the man on this trhead at this time.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 December 2005 05:04 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sorry, Cueball. It's understandable, though. Some of us were shocked to see Sharon's name there.

I dunno: I have my loyalties (to people who have strokes) and I have my animosities (to state-sanctioned murder). Life, eh?

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 18 December 2005 05:14 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I quite honestly wish Ariel Sharon a full and speedy recovery.

I also hope to see him in the dock for his role in Sabra and Chatila.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
B.L. Zeebub LLD
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6914

posted 20 December 2005 08:02 PM      Profile for B.L. Zeebub LLD     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by lagatta:
I quite honestly wish Ariel Sharon a full and speedy recovery.

I also hope to see him in the dock for his role in Sabra and Chatila.

Word.

It was no suprise to watch the spin machine go into action on this one. Within minutes of the first reports on CNN there were already statements from his aids about how his long-term health and vigour were not in question, etc. Frankly, no one can know that at this point especially given the number of recurrences among stroke-victims.

It will be interesting to watch how this plays out in the next few weeks. Obviously, we know that Bibi-led Likud will try to seize on this but it still remains to be seen whether Peretz' Labour will/can do the same.

From: A Devil of an Advocate | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca