babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » A question about the Knesset

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: A question about the Knesset
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 24 November 2005 05:28 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
this may sound like a incredibly why aren't their any Ethiopian Jews in the Knesset?
Every other nationality seems to be represented, but their isn't a Filasha to be seen. It's strange.

[ 24 November 2005: Message edited by: CMOT Dibbler ]

From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 24 November 2005 05:34 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, there seems to be fewer than 15,000 currently in Israel. By no means a large number, but you'd think enough to merit some representation.

Theirs is certainly an interesting story, isn't it.

[ 24 November 2005: Message edited by: oldgoat ]

From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peech
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9272

posted 24 November 2005 06:00 PM      Profile for Peech   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Not much of a "story". if you ask me.
From: Babbling Brook | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 24 November 2005 06:02 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
GAAAH...! I put the wrong link in that! Gimme a minute to find the site again.
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 24 November 2005 06:09 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
OK, that seems to work, but I made a Monty Python joke on another thread that may not make too much sense now. Off to fix that.
kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 24 November 2005 06:25 PM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Why would you characterize the story of Ethiopian Jews to be "not much of a story", Peech? Not familiar with them myself, but there's usually something interesting in the story of any ethnic group, particularly minority ones that we don't normally hear of. Why would that be different for Ethiopian Jews in Israel?
From: an employer more progressive than rabble.ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 24 November 2005 06:30 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I can't speak for Peech, but he could be referring to the error I made in my link. I accidently linked to a Monty Python skit that was already on my clipboard.

Or maybe that's just how Peech feels, I don't know.

kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 24 November 2005 06:32 PM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
oh, ok. sorry about that.
From: an employer more progressive than rabble.ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 24 November 2005 06:47 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Dosen't the number of Ethiopian Jews in Isreal curently stand at 45000?

Anyroad, they definatly need at least one MK.

Can anyone direct me to a website on Etheopian jews?

[ 24 November 2005: Message edited by: CMOT Dibbler ]

From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ohara
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7961

posted 26 November 2005 08:47 AM      Profile for ohara        Edit/Delete Post
What exactly is the point of your question? Ethiopian Jews are a very new immigrant community brought to Israel by the thousands ABOUT a generation ago. They came from a culture that by modern standards would be considered primitive and had to acculturate to an entire new way of life. Their story is one of courage, perseverance and humanity.

Sadly as well it has exposed racism within Israeli society which persists and must be dealt with.

Now that Ethiopian Jews are well into a second generation many born in Israel I am confidant that we will see Ethiopian members of the Knesset.

Racism is a blight of all societies. When was the first Black elected to the Canadian parliament? Indeed how many People of colour do we find in any elected positions here in Canada? How many Aboriginal Canadians sit as elected officials in any Legislature or Parliament.

I hope this question wasn't originally asked to stoke and provoke.

By the way the term "falasha" is considered offensive.

[ 26 November 2005: Message edited by: ohara ]

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 26 November 2005 08:51 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by ohara:
I hope this question wasn't originally asked to stoke and provoke.

I hope this comment wasn't made in order to stoke and provoke. In other words, knock it off. This kind of net-nannying is unnecessary in this forum and only provokes fights.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ohara
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7961

posted 26 November 2005 09:05 AM      Profile for ohara        Edit/Delete Post
Michelle, how best then to understand motives? Perhaps you can help me better phrase the question. A little research would have easily answered this question.

But you are right I dont want to provoke an altercation I only want people to understand the Ethiopian Jewish community in Israel. It is a facinating story and in many ways hi-lites the concept of a Jewish democratic state. It also magnifies all the potential warts and will be a true test for the future. For those who wish to understand the Ethiopian Jewish community of Israel through their own eyes I suggest this site:

Israeli Association of Ethiopian Jews

voice of the damned
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6943

posted 26 November 2005 10:10 AM      Profile for voice of the damned     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I have to admit, I find the wording of the original question a little odd:

quote:
why aren't their any Ethiopian Jews in the Knesset?

This makes it sound as if there could be one identifiable force keeping Ethiopians out of the Knesset specifically.

Let's say I ask "Why are there no toy stores on Main Street?" How exactly would you answer that question? Unless you can cite a law against opening a toy store on that particular street, the most you can probably say is "well, nobody has gotten around to opening one". Which doesn't tell you a whole helluva lot. And with the lack of Ethiopian Jewish representation in the Knesset, I think the most we can probably say is "well, none of them have gotten around to running", or maybe "well, not enough people vote for them".

I'm sure the OP's intentions were good. However, I think his question could have been more profitably framed as: "why have Ethiopian Jews failed to make significant social and political inroads in Israel?" Answer that question, and you've probably answered the question about Knesset representation.

[ 26 November 2005: Message edited by: voice of the damned ]

ohara
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7961

posted 26 November 2005 01:52 PM      Profile for ohara        Edit/Delete Post
Thank you Voice for (dare I say it) "voicing" my concern in a way that Michelle might find more appropriate.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca