babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Political crisis in Iran as new president purges government

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Political crisis in Iran as new president purges government
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 18 November 2005 12:18 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Iran's president purges opponents

quote:
Iran is facing political paralysis as its newly elected president purges government institutions, bringing accusations that he is undertaking a coup d'état.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's clearout of his opponents began last month but is more sweeping than previously understood and has reached almost every branch of government, the Guardian has learned. Dozens of deputy ministers have been sacked this month in several government departments, as well the heads of the state insurance and privatisation organisations. Last week, seven state bank presidents were dismissed in what an Iranian source described as "a coup d'état".

An informed Iranian source with first-hand knowledge of all the main political and clerical figures in the country said: "Ahmadinejad is defying everybody. He does whatever he wants and considers it to be right. This is not how things are done in Iran."

The upheaval at the highest government levels in Tehran follows the dismissal of four senior ambassadors and has raised questions about Iran's ability to conclude negotiations on its nuclear programme which are due to come to a head at a UN meeting in Vienna next week.

[...]

In a sign of divisions at the top of the clerical establishment, the supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who has until now supported Mr Ahmadinejad, said "irregularities" in the government's behaviour would not be tolerated.

Iranian sources said opinion in the conservative-controlled majlis [parliament], which initially welcomed the president's election, was becoming uneasy.

[...]

"There is a very tense situation. Ahmadinejad has made a very bad start and needs to get attuned to political realities," the Iranian source said, suggesting that Mr Ahmadinejad could face impeachment proceedings in the majlis if he continued to pack the government with his appointees.

From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 18 November 2005 03:29 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Holy crap.
Interesting times, to be sure . . . this seems more like an attempt at a fascist takeover than an intensification of the clerical old guard's control. The clerics raised up a demagogue to counter the reformers and now he's trying to eat them. If he fails, there could be space for reform. Or there would be, if the US would keep their oar out, but one expects they won't.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 November 2005 03:41 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Gosh.

This is entirely news to me, and it sounds very serious. If Khamenei is unsettled, then this is not what we expected.

Oh, and Rufus, that is a bad thought: U.S. opportunism. Oh, dear.

Andrew_Jay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10408

posted 18 November 2005 05:58 PM      Profile for Andrew_Jay        Edit/Delete Post
I recall a few weeks ago when Ahmadinejad was advocating that Israel be "wiped off of the map" the clerics were going behind his back and making guarantees that Iran has no intention of using force.

Pretty scary when the Ayatollahs are the moderates.

From: Extremism is easy. You go right and meet those coming around from the far left | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 18 November 2005 06:36 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
For a long time now, most of the clerical power clique in Iran has been more concerned with maintaining its grip on the foundation that controls Iranian oil, as well as on the thriving black market in opium, alcohol, and other consumer goods. There are "purist" mollahs but I wouldn't say that the power clique is dominated by them. People associated with the old guard of the revolution, like Rafsanjani, have long been more interested in a stable business climate. Rafsanjani is the world's largest cattle rancher and his son owns all kinds of business, including construction businesses here in Canada. These guys are not interested in a volatile business climate. They were opposed to reform and democratization because it challenged their corrupt power as much as anything else. Ahmadinejad also does this, but from a completely different direction. I had my feelings about this very early on, but it was only a hunch then.
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 18 November 2005 06:41 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Does Rafsanjani own the 407?
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 18 November 2005 06:53 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Did I say cattle rancher? Sorry, wrong tin pot dictator. Rafsanjani is a pistachio farmer.

Re: 407. I dunno? Would it be good or bad if he did?

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 18 November 2005 07:01 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Good or bad? Above and beyond the fact that the highway is owned by any private interests, at all, I have no opinion. I has heard there was an Iranian interest in the highway, so I was curious about if this was that.

I know for a fact that I do not own the 407, in any way shape or form.

[ 18 November 2005: Message edited by: Cueball ]

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 18 November 2005 07:05 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
A blogger talks about it

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca