babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Yitzak Rabin: 10 Years Later

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Yitzak Rabin: 10 Years Later
Aristotleded24
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9327

posted 04 November 2005 01:26 AM      Profile for Aristotleded24   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
On this date 10 years ago, Israeli Prime Minister Yitzak Rabin was assassiniated. In his later years, Rabin had fought for the peace process, and shares a Nobel Peace Prize along with Simon Perez and Yassir Arafat. Loved by many in Israel and around the world, his assassination was a shock. On the 10th anniversary of this tragedy, what can we say about the impact this assassination (at the hands of a fellow Israeli at a peace rally) has had on the peace process?
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 04 November 2005 04:36 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Y'mean they still haven't managed to spin that one as a Hamas-engineered terrorist assassination yet, eh?
From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 04 November 2005 05:43 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Now now.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 04 November 2005 09:11 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'd like to know more about his assassination.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
ohara
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7961

posted 05 November 2005 09:15 AM      Profile for ohara        Edit/Delete Post
From my pov those who engage in conspiracy theories on the Rabin assasination are kooks in the same categroy as the 9/11 nuts who claim no Jews were killed in the twin towers cuz the Mossad warned them all in advance.
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 05 November 2005 10:09 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So what are the conspiracy theories, you are talking about?
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crippled_Newsie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7024

posted 05 November 2005 10:17 AM      Profile for Crippled_Newsie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Nine Days, Two Conspiracy Theories

quote:
The conspiracy theory expressed in the name of “the Left” emerged in November 1995, immediately after the assassination. Articulated sometimes as an innuendo and sometimes as a certainty, it alleged that Rabin had been assassinated collectively by “the Right,” “the settlers,” “the religious,” or some combination/mutation of the three. Yigal Amir's trigger finger, this account argued, was a marionette appendage actuated by vile and benighted hordes that should be cast out of the Israeli polity if not targeted for revenge. Those who share this conviction have coined a slogan: “Never Forgive, Never Forget.” In an advertisement published on Nov. 7, for example, the Peace Bloc (an alliance of small groups rooted in Canaanism and the intifada-era far Left) referred to Rabin's murder “by nationalist religious zealots.” Within a few days, unidentified individuals had issued death threats against several rightist-Orthodox parliamentarians.

The theory expressed by “the Right” revolved around Avishai Raviv, whom the General Security Service (GSS) had recruited to inform on the extreme Right. The publication of hitherto-classified sections of Shamgar Commission of Inquiry into the Rabin assassination, which by chanced coincided with the anniversary, shed some light on Raviv's provocative tactics and led some to argue that Raviv had incited Amir on the instructions of the GSS, which had scores to settle with Rabin.

From: It's all about the thumpa thumpa. | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 05 November 2005 01:08 PM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Another job done courtesy of the lunatic right-wing fringe.
From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aristotleded24
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9327

posted 15 November 2005 02:46 PM      Profile for Aristotleded24   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
They had a memorial service for him recently.
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 15 November 2005 03:54 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Yaaa... I saw the story on Yahoo news, with the header, "Rabin called a 'universal soldier'". I thought it was kind of ironic, 'coz it immediately reminded me of the Buffy Sainte-Marie song...
Makwa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10724

posted 15 November 2005 05:38 PM      Profile for Makwa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hephaestion:
Yaaa... I saw the story on Yahoo news, with the header, "Rabin called a 'universal soldier'". I thought it was kind of ironic, 'coz it immediately reminded me of the Buffy Sainte-Marie song...
Gee Heph, ya think maybe the headline writer is a twenty something hoping to get ahead in the business kinda person and had the same thought and perhaps thought it was kinda original in a funky retro ironic kinda way? They are all mocking us now.

From: Here at the glass - all the usual problems, the habitual farce | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
B.L. Zeebub LLD
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6914

posted 16 November 2005 04:35 AM      Profile for B.L. Zeebub LLD     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yigal Amir, like Lee Harvey Oswald, may have acted alone.

Whether he did or didn't isn't really important. What's more important is how much Amir's so-called "reactionary" stance on Oslo, on continuing an aggressive expansionist policy in the Occupied Territories, on the impossibility of negotiating peace with the Palestinians has become mainstream in Israel. Maybe Amir won afterall.

[ 16 November 2005: Message edited by: B.L. Zeebub LLD ]

From: A Devil of an Advocate | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ohara
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7961

posted 16 November 2005 07:33 AM      Profile for ohara        Edit/Delete Post
Today's events in Gaza proves otherwise. And thanks Michelle for warning Heph with a polite "now now" for trolling.
B.L. Zeebub LLD
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6914

posted 17 November 2005 01:05 AM      Profile for B.L. Zeebub LLD     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by ohara:
Today's events in Gaza proves otherwise. And thanks Michelle for warning Heph with a polite "now now" for trolling.

They do no such thing. Gaza was always a headache to Israel. It was occupied as a buffer against Egypt, but with a formal peace treaty in place and being honoured there was no need to keep it. It had become a very expensive pain-in-the-arse for the IDF without the ideological importance of "Historic Judea and Sumeria", with no freshwater supply, and without the sheer acreage needed to build expansive settlements. Accordingly, the amount of resources poured into protecting a few settlements and policing Gaza didn't compare to that spent on West Bank settlements, infrastructure for diverting water from the Jordan Valley into Israel, and so on.

Gaza is a sideshow, Ohara. Meanwhile settlement expansion continues, the wall gets bigger and the possibilities of a just settlement in the West Bank get further and further away with each Jews-only by-pass road built and every sham verdict acquitting cold-blooded killers passed.

Any good illusionist knows that you need something to distract your audience's attention while you reach for their wallets.

[ 17 November 2005: Message edited by: B.L. Zeebub LLD ]

From: A Devil of an Advocate | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 17 November 2005 02:39 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:

And thanks Michelle for warning Heph with a polite "now now" for trolling.

That wasn't trolling; it was sarcasm.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 20 November 2005 09:44 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
And thanks Michelle for warning Heph with a polite "now now" for trolling.

I have an idea. How about you let ME moderate. It wasn't trolling, it was a legitimate political comment, even if it was somewhat sarcastic.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca