babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home

This topic has been transferred to this forum: rabble reactions.  
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Why does this forum exist?

Author Topic: Why does this forum exist?
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 24 August 2005 03:42 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Go....
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
dano
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4274

posted 24 August 2005 03:53 PM      Profile for dano     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
ummm because it is a very hot, important and often badly documented issue in the world today?...

(I assume you mean the "Middle east" forum?)

Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 24 August 2005 04:10 PM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I suppose because it just to be part of the "rest of the world" forum but that forum wound up being 95% about the Middle East. Nolw we have a dedicated Middle East forum and those of us interested in the rest of the world can go to "rest of the world" and discuss German and Australian politics without getting sidetracked with endless "certs is a breath mint, no Certs is a candymint" style arguments about the Middle East.
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 24 August 2005 04:48 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Heh. This should go in Rabble reactions. And Cueball, you should probably see a doctor about getting that burr removed.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ephemeral
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8881

posted 24 August 2005 04:53 PM      Profile for ephemeral     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
why not?
From: under a bridge with a laptop | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yst
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9749

posted 24 August 2005 04:59 PM      Profile for Yst     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So much political discourse worldwide hinges on issues and events presently seated in the Middle East that it would seem madness not to have one in a list of forums categorised by region.
From: State of Genderfuck | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 24 August 2005 05:02 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
YST, I could live with that, but do a survey. Only issues relating to Palestnians show up here, threads on Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Iraq show up everywhere, and hardly ever here. It seems absurd that one of the most sailent issues that drives Middle east poitics, does not appear in association with other aspects of regional concern, does it not. It is very strange.

quote:
Originally posted by Briguy:
Heh. This should go in Rabble reactions. And Cueball, you should probably see a doctor about getting that burr removed.

Really? Why. I find the existance of this "Middle East" forum to be a lie. Even its name is a lie. You don't even post your Iraq threads here. I don't like lies.

I posted a piece on the Salafist destruction of Muslim historic sites in "the rest of the world forum," and that was fine. You don't even post your Iraq threads here. This is an Palestine forum.

Why does the board call its Palestine forum a Middle East forum?

In my view Dano is right on, "it is a very hot, important and often badly documented issue," and this is its ghetto, shoved out of the way so that people don't see it.

[ 24 August 2005: Message edited by: Cueball ]

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 24 August 2005 05:12 PM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Originally it did have a greater diversity of topics, but you are right, it's a Israel-Palestine ghetto.

It was formed, however, because the arguments were obscuring other news on the news and politics forums. Too many threads, too much volume at the time. Consequently a logistical decision was made by the moderators.

I think the quantity of IP threads has gone down now though, or at least the concentration.

From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ephemeral
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8881

posted 24 August 2005 05:14 PM      Profile for ephemeral     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cueball:
Only issues relating to Palestnians show up here, threads on Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Iraq show up everywhere, and hardly ever here.

i've thought about that before. perhaps, the question you want to ask then is "why don't people post threads that concern the middle east" in the middle east forum, not so much why it exists. i don't have an answer for you; i'm usually not one to start threads very often. i think the 'news' forum picks up a lot of middle-eastern topics just by virtue of being news. but then again, i've noticed that if there's news from america, people post in the USA forum instead of news.

quote:
I posted a piece on the Salafist destruction of Muslim historic sites in "the rest of the world forum," and that was fine.

why didn't you post it in the middle-east forum? i posted on that thread, however, i didn't even notice what forum it was on. i usually just pick threads from TAT, and often, the forum name that the thread is in escapes my eyes.

From: under a bridge with a laptop | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 24 August 2005 05:15 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, I did quick look through and found that threads here are added at about one per day since the begining of August, is that too much for the "rest of the world forum?"
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 24 August 2005 05:20 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by ephemeral:

why didn't you post it in the middle-east forum? i posted on that thread, however, i didn't even notice what forum it was on. i usually just pick threads from TAT, and often, the forum name that the thread is in escapes my eyes.

Because I wanted to see if it would be moved here. It wasn't.

I think people don't post there other Middle East threads here, because it is known as a memory hole. Briguy started a really useful thread on "Ongoing Iraq Carnage" in the NEWS forum, and it stayed there, even though it could hardly be seen as "breaking news," but rather as one of those very useful archival threads. I think, subconciously or not it got postd there because Briguy knew it would get less exposure here.

There is a new one in the NEWS forum called: New York Times Lies About Iraq, it is a little bit about the Times and a lot about the failure of the Iraqi constitutional talks.

[ 24 August 2005: Message edited by: Cueball ]

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 24 August 2005 06:52 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If this forum is meant to be an Isreal/Palestine ghetto, why bother trying to moderate it all? Why not just let the regulars tear each other into bite size chunks? Surely, if michelle is going to regulate conduct on this forum like she would on the other important forums(NDP, Feminism etc.) the focus of this place should be a bit more broad then it is right now. Topics about all the Middle eastern countries should be included here, not just ones about the "holy land". It makes perfect sense.
The Middle East Forum is currently in a kind of digital limbo. The old stalwarts, (Wingy, Mac, Al, myself) are the only ones who visit with any regularity, and the subject matter, for all that Isreal and Palestine are facinatining places, is getting quite boring. Let's make this forum a tad more cosmopolitin, shall we? Please?

[ 24 August 2005: Message edited by: CMOT Dibbler ]

From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 24 August 2005 07:03 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That's what I said but then they pounced on me with a ferocity unseen since Media Boy was here and hanged his moniker to Kneel Before Media Boy. There are still bits and pieces of my virtual flesh floating around cyberspace. Sure, you have to be civil in the ME forum unless you suggest not being civil and then all's fair.
B.L. Zeebub LLD
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6914

posted 24 August 2005 09:10 PM      Profile for B.L. Zeebub LLD     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Objective Antisemitism, clearly.
From: A Devil of an Advocate | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 24 August 2005 09:15 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm moving this to rabble reactions. I've already drawn Audra's attention to it and I've written to her to see what she wants done.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca