babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Is al-Zarquawi "real"?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Is al-Zarquawi "real"?
Red Albertan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9195

posted 09 August 2005 02:16 AM      Profile for Red Albertan        Edit/Delete Post
After various fantastic reports, I have wondered myself whether the man really exists, or whether he is the creation of a gigantic propaganda machine.

It appears the Iraqi Resistance claims he doesn't exist... at least not on Iraqi soil, and the 'name' is merely being used to justify indiscriminate killing in certain areas of the country, by invoking 'al-Zarquawi' has been sighted in the area.

Western Propaganda Media try to shut down albasrah.net!

alleged report on recent Rumsfeld-Saddam meeting

From: the world is my church, to do good is my religion | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yst
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9749

posted 09 August 2005 02:54 AM      Profile for Yst     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't know why people are still in the habit after all these years of giving the American war machine so much damn credit. I find far more convincing the argument that the Pentagon simply isn't really sure in what manner groups adopting the Al-Qaeda moniker are connected, and isn't really sure who, if anyone at all, leads this "Iraqi Resistance" at present or for that matter whether it is unified for the most part or rather anarchic. Al-Jazeera aired a clip which they claimed was Bin Laden declaring Zarqawi the leader of Al-Qaeda in Iraq, if that's anything to go on. It's not much, but in a time of war it's much safer to trust a party's disloyalties than their loyalties, and Al-Jazeera certainly has every reason to be disloyal to American military interests, so I'm more likely to take it seriously coming from them than from pretty much anyone else.

As in Afghanistan, I'm sure the American forces are having no trouble in Iraq procuring individuals who are happy to trade intel for cash or give away 'secrets' under duress. But good intel is quite another matter, and convincing story-tellers in desperate straits are far easier to come by.

If Zarqawi is a propaganda ploy, he isn't one the Pentagon made up on its own, and I'm far more likely to attribute uncertainties regarding him to the utter confusion of American intelligence regarding what the hell they're dealing with than to any clever scheme to erect an ideal Islamic figurehead for the American media to latch on to.

[ 09 August 2005: Message edited by: Yst ]

From: State of Genderfuck | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca