babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Netanyahu quits cabinet (and challenges Sharon)

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Netanyahu quits cabinet (and challenges Sharon)
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 07 August 2005 11:41 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Israeli Finance Minister Binyamin Netanyahu has resigned in protest against this month's planned withdrawal from the Gaza Strip.
The resignation was announced as the cabinet approved the removal of a first group of Jewish settlers from the area.

The dismantling of Gaza settlements is due to begin in 10 days.

Mr Netanyahu, a former prime minister, has been a fierce critic of the pullout plan championed by his Likud party rival, Prime Minister Ariel Sharon.

. . . .

Mr Netanyahu, 55, is expected to challenge Mr Sharon, 77, for the leadership of the ruling Likud party ahead of the next election.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4129448.stm

[ 30 August 2005: Message edited by: josh ]

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 07 August 2005 12:33 PM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Good riddance. What are the odds that
a) this affects the pullout?
b) Netanyahu successfully takes Sharon out for Likud leader?

From: In Regina, the land of Exotica | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 07 August 2005 12:46 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Netanyahu is only 55. That is depressing.
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 07 August 2005 12:47 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 10 August 2005 04:09 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Sources close to Ariel Sharon Wednesday expressed growing support for the "big bang" - the possibility that the prime minister might split the Likud and lead a new political party following a Haaretz poll indicating that Benjamin Netanyahu would beat Sharon by a substantial margin in a race for the Likud Party leadership.

Army Radio reported that close associates of Sharon considered a new party "a likely possibility that promises victory." The associates said that in view of the recent poll, Sharon had little chance of beating Netanyahu in Likud internal elections

. . . .

The "big bang" option has been pushed for some time by Minister Haim Ramon of the Labor Party. Ramon has long claimed that Sharon would never be reelected as head of the Likud, and therefore has only two options: abandoning politics altogether, or splitting the Likud and merging his supporters with Labor and Shinui to form a new "centrist" party.

Ramon believes that such a party could win a huge number of seats running against a shrunken, Netanyahu-led Likud that Sharon could easily paint as an extreme right-wing party.

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/610955.html

You know things are bad when Sharon can be portrayed as "moderate."

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albion1
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9652

posted 10 August 2005 05:30 PM      Profile for Albion1     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

From: Toronto, ON. Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albion1
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9652

posted 10 August 2005 05:31 PM      Profile for Albion1     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
YES!!!! YAHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Albion1
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9652

posted 10 August 2005 05:32 PM      Profile for Albion1     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 30 August 2005 10:29 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's bitter rival, Benjamin Netanyahu, launched a bid on Tuesday to topple him as Likud party leader, intensifying a power struggle sparked by the evacuation of Gaza settlers.

Likud polls show ex-finance minister Netanyahu would rout Sharon in a primary if it were held soon, stirring speculation Sharon may break away from rightists and forge a new centrist party to run in an election due by November 2006. Netanyahu, prime minister between 1996 and 1999, resigned in protest this month over Sharon's evacuation of all 21 Jewish settlements from Gaza and four of 120 in the West Bank under a U.S.-backed plan to "disengage" from conflict with the Palestinians.

http://tinyurl.com/82anf

B.L. Zeebub LLD
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6914

posted 31 August 2005 12:02 AM      Profile for B.L. Zeebub LLD     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by josh:

http://tinyurl.com/82anf

What gets me is that Labor will probably toady up to Sharon and join this "centrist" party. Rather than use the right's infighting to their advantage, Peres and friends will provide cover for Sharon, "The Man of Peace".

[ 31 August 2005: Message edited by: B.L. Zeebub LLD ]

From: A Devil of an Advocate | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 31 August 2005 09:07 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Are Bibi and Sharon performing a well choreographed two-step, I wonder? If Bibi 'ousts' Sharon and becomes the new Likud leader, I doubt that Gaza will remain unoccupied for long.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 26 September 2005 08:09 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sharon wins initial skirmish.
quote:

Prime Minister Ariel Sharon won Monday's Likud Central Committee vote on whether to hold an early Likud Party primary by a slim 104-vote margin.

Sharon's victory by a majority of 1,433 to 1,329 over his rival MK Benjamin Netanyahu, who pushed for the proposal to hold the primary in 60 days, puts a freeze on the struggle within the Likud until April, when the primaries are scheduled under the party constitution.

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/629474.html

Peech
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9272

posted 26 September 2005 08:24 PM      Profile for Peech   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Briguy:
Are Bibi and Sharon performing a well choreographed two-step, I wonder? If Bibi 'ousts' Sharon and becomes the new Likud leader, I doubt that Gaza will remain unoccupied for long.

What difference does it make. The Palestinians are not capable of peace right now.They don't have a consensus as to whom is governing them and they cannot provide internal security.

From: Babbling Brook | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 27 September 2005 08:33 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Fuck. Off. Troll.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 27 September 2005 08:47 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Briguy, warning number one. You know better.

Peech, warning number one for you too. Palestinians are just as capable of peace as anyone else. I have no problem with you stating that you don't think there can be peace in because of those two factors but you have to watch the generalizing language. As you can see, it pisses people off, just as you'd be pissed off if someone were to say that Israelis are not capable of peace.

[ 27 September 2005: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peech
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9272

posted 10 October 2005 01:57 PM      Profile for Peech   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
If you read my posting carefully you will see it said not capable of peace "right now" because they don't have a consensuswhich happens to be a valid criticism. How anyone can possibly convert that to a slur is beyond me. So NO I don't "see" how my comment could possibly "piss off" someone. And I would have absolutely no problem with such a comment about Israel which is equally a valid criticism
What is going on here?
This is CENSORSHIP.

[ 10 October 2005: Message edited by: Peech ]

voice of the damned
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6943

posted 10 October 2005 02:20 PM      Profile for voice of the damned     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
This is CENSORSHIP.

How is it censorship?

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 10 October 2005 02:29 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Because he isn't allowed to say what he really thinks?
From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
ohara
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7961

posted 10 October 2005 02:31 PM      Profile for ohara        Edit/Delete Post
As I read Peech's comment he did clearly state that in his opinion given a lack of consensus amongst Palestinians, peace was not an option. Given the fact that there is no peace even with the Gaza withdrawal it is a valid observation. I am unclear as to why this would warrant a warning.

I would add that there is also a lack of consensus amongst Israelis as well that leads to a similar stalemate. Though from all I have read and at least one poll I have seen the Israelis seem more prepared at this time to work towards peace as an entity.

Peech
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9272

posted 10 October 2005 04:22 PM      Profile for Peech   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by al-Qa'bong:
Because he isn't allowed to say what he really thinks?

Sorry, you lost me....what do you mean AL by "really" think?

Peech
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9272

posted 10 October 2005 04:26 PM      Profile for Peech   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
O'Hara:
Once again you are the voice of reason. I think both sides desire peace equally. I do think the average Israelis and Palestinians crave "normalcy" in their realities. For that to happen a paradigm shift is necessary. And communication between the the parties on an ongoing basis (despite extremists wishes on either side) is absolutely essential. Otherwise what is there? The status Quo is not acceptable.

johnpauljones
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7554

posted 11 October 2005 12:03 PM      Profile for johnpauljones     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
i think all we need to be is a little more careful with our language and images. I read peech to mean Palestinians as a political group and certainly in no derogatory way. yes he could have been more clear but i have to agree with ohara that it was not deserving of a warning.

and please michelle don't take this as an attempt at telling you how to do your job. i see this forum as constantly evolving. there will be times that posters might want to speak out about disagreements with a mod's public warning . i hope you see it in the spirit i gave it as an opinion. the rules here are different than any other thread or forum so hopefully we babblers can assist as it further develops.

[ 11 October 2005: Message edited by: johnpauljones ]

From: City of Toronto | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 12 October 2005 08:51 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Please. We all have a history here. My rather indelicate remark (which I apologize for, if indeed Peech was talking about the lack of a working government in Palestine and not the Palestinian people) above does not exist in a vacuum. Don't make me drag out some of my favourite old quotes.

There are reasons why the Palestinian government is unable to provide security, you know. You don't have to look much further than Iraq to see a similar situation, with similar reasons, and similiar security outcomes. Connecting the dots isn't rocket science.

Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 12 October 2005 09:01 AM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
the rules here are different than any other thread or forum

From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
johnpauljones
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7554

posted 12 October 2005 12:56 PM      Profile for johnpauljones     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
the rules for the middle east forum are different than other forums.
From: City of Toronto | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 12 October 2005 09:11 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh good, something we can all agree on.

So, shall we move forward now?

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
America is Behind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10430

posted 13 October 2005 01:07 PM      Profile for America is Behind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by skdadl:
Netanyahu is only 55. That is depressing.

The fact that Rabin was assassinated rather than this pig provest that there is no God.

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 13 October 2005 01:48 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh fun.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 13 October 2005 02:10 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by America is Behind:

The fact that Rabin was assassinated rather than this pig provest that there is no God.

Listen, you've been banned twice before for this. Maybe you've gotten away with sliding in under the radar on the rest of the board, but we don't need this kind of crap in the Middle East forum. Stay out of this forum if that's all you have to contribute.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca