babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » And the cleansing continues

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: And the cleansing continues
rsfarrell
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7770

posted 26 July 2005 09:44 PM      Profile for rsfarrell        Edit/Delete Post
The village near the settlement is unlawful

By Amira Hass

"I was born here, in Khirbet Tana, and I inherited the land from my grandfather. I am a shepherd and have a family of 10. All of us are shepherds, and that is our sole source of livelihood. In June I moved to Beit Furik, because in the summer the sheep can't take the heat in Khirbet Tana. On Tuesday, July 5, 2005, at around 8:30 A.M., I received a phone call from one of the shepherds in the area, who told me that the Israeli army was demolishing our houses. I immediately went there and when I was two and a half kilometers from the houses in Tana, Israeli soldiers in an army jeep prevented me from getting any closer. The soldiers left the area at around noon. In place of a house I found a pile of cinder blocks. My family and I live in two new structures built of cinder blocks and mud. We built the house to live in and protect ourselves from the cold in winter and the heat in summer. The soldiers also destroyed the livestock pen. We kept the taboun [a large brick oven] in the pen. They didn't leave us anything. They also demolished other houses and huts of people in the area."

This is the account that Wassef Hanani, 51, gave to a B'Tselem field researcher. The home of Abed al-Kader Ibrahim, 72, was also demolished. He still remembers his grandmother as the owner of the surrounding land. He and his brothers and sisters were born in Tana. "I don't know any other place. Here I got married and my nine children live here .... Between June and August we move to Beit Furik ... to herd the sheep and live there in tents, but it's only temporary. There isn't enough land or water there for herding. They didn't only demolish homes, they also destroyed the elementary school building. It had two classrooms where the children study up to fourth grade. It's the only school here. They also destroyed part of the fence around the mosque. An ancient mosque, which was built more than 200 years ago."

link

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Left Turn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8662

posted 27 July 2005 01:30 AM      Profile for Left Turn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It is blatantly clear that the ceasefire agreement reached between Israel and the PA earlier this year has achieved nothing for the Palestinians.

It is only a matter of time before the third intifada erupts. It is regrettable, but it will take more Palestinian violence to ends the horrors being perpetrated by Israel in the occupied territories.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca