babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » At least 88 dead in blasts in Egyptian Red Sea resorts

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: At least 88 dead in blasts in Egyptian Red Sea resorts
Peech
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9272

posted 23 July 2005 01:19 PM      Profile for Peech   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Three explosions ripped through the Egyptian Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh early Saturday, tearing through a hotel and a coffeeshop packed with European and Egyptian tourists. Police and medical officials said that at least 88 people were killed in the deadliest attack in Egypt in nearly a decade.

Shaken European tourists spoke of mass panic and hysteria as people fled the carnage in the early hours, with bodies strewn across the roads, people screaming and sirens wailing.

A group citing ties to al-Qaida claimed responsibility for the bombings, according to a statement posted on an Islamic Web site.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/603642.html

What do Babblers think the significance of this tragic event is?

From: Babbling Brook | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 23 July 2005 03:01 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
My brother-in-law and sister-in-law and another friend were in Sharm el-Sheikh over Easter this year, doing the scuba diving. They really enjoyed their days there. They live in Belgium.

I have no doubt -- despite the advice of Tony B. and George W. who tell us just to get on with our lives -- that many people are going to rethink their travels and wonder where they might be safe.

I was talking to someone only yesterday who said that she and her spouse had planned to go to London in the fall but they've pretty much decided against it.

London will, of course, survive without them. But Sharm el-Sheikh, I think, is pretty much a place that depends on tourists. Whatever we may think of tourism as a way of life, this will probably affect the livelihood of a lot of people in the region.

From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 23 July 2005 03:36 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
See earlier comments on this thread, especially beluga's link to Juan Cole -- good analysis.
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 23 July 2005 03:44 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thanks, skdadl. Hadn't seen the earlier thread.
From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca