babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Egypt's 5,000 sumo wrestlers

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Egypt's 5,000 sumo wrestlers
rsfarrell
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7770

posted 20 July 2005 10:42 PM      Profile for rsfarrell        Edit/Delete Post
Check it out: web page.

Egypt is one of the few places in the Arab world where the economy has been growing steadily over the past ten years. While we may see Arabs only as terrorist, petty tyrants, or madrass students memorizing the Koran, beneath the shallowness of the West's perception 250 million people are living their lives as best they can.

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 21 July 2005 05:42 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I knew a boxer from Egypt. Former olympic team. He called himself Sami and we used to play chess at the Pofi bar on Commercial Drive in Vancouver. He got all his English from WWF, and he would reach over the board and say: "I kill! I kill!" when he took a piece.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 21 July 2005 04:58 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hmmm . . . Have you noticed that it's actually the countries *without* oil that seem to do relatively well?
Egypt, Turkey . . .

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 21 July 2005 06:51 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, well things have been a little smoother since they abandoned the idea that they had any kind of soveriengty over the canal.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca