babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Our Man in the Territories: 'We Simply Do Not See the Palestinians as Human Beings'

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Our Man in the Territories: 'We Simply Do Not See the Palestinians as Human Beings'
B.L. Zeebub LLD
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6914

posted 17 July 2005 05:52 PM      Profile for B.L. Zeebub LLD     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is a good foundation for a discussion of the question of whether there ever was a 'true Zionism'?.."

By Tom Segev

No one knew until now what veteran television journalist Haim Yavin thought about the news he has been announcing for more than three decades, and he is so nonpartisan that one wondered whether he had an opinion of his own at all. Now, at 72, he is coming out of the closet: "Since 1967 we have been brutal conquerors, occupiers, suppressing another people," he says in "Yoman Masa" ("Diary of a Journey"), which he filmed in the West Bank.

For two and a half years, Yavin wandered the West Bank and the Gaza Strip with a small hand-held camera, which he operated himself, without a technical crew. Here and there he was reviled as the representative of the hostile leftist media, but in general the settlers spoke to him on the assumption that he was their man, and justly so: Until now he was everyone's man. The film he brought back seems intended to salve his conscience: "I cannot really do anything to relieve this misery, other than to document it, so that neither I nor those like me will be able to say that we saw nothing, heard nothing, knew nothing," he says in the film, and in response to a question asserts: "I did not move left. The country moved right."

http://www.palestinechronicle.com/story.php?sid=20050602041725561

From: A Devil of an Advocate | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 17 July 2005 06:25 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
A soldier in uniform told Yavin that the Hebron settlers were inciting him to shoot and kill Palestinian children. Activist Noam Federman and his wife tell him on camera that an ultimatum has to be presented to the Arab residents of Hebron: Either they leave the country immediately, or the Israel Air Force will bomb their homes. Not far from their home, Yavin filmed a bit of graffiti on a wall: "Arabs to the crematoria." A Border Policeman, a muscular, tough-looking guy, says in a heavy Russian accent, "I am only following orders, I do what I am told." Yavin asserts: "We simply do not see the Palestinians as human beings."

Words fail me.

[ 17 July 2005: Message edited by: DrConway ]

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albion1
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9652

posted 20 July 2005 06:21 PM      Profile for Albion1     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
"I am only following orders, I do what I am told." Yavin asserts: "We simply do not see the Palestinians as human beings."

What a suprise!!!!!

From: Toronto, ON. Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Peech
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9272

posted 23 July 2005 01:23 PM      Profile for Peech   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Sad if true. As many many so-called "true" allegations of massacres, war crimes, executions, killings were Palestinian publicity stunts or exaggerations. I am not saying this isn't true I just am questioning the source and am not ready to jump on the bandwagon so quickly even though it's PC to do so. Again for the record IF it's true then it's disgusting and an example of the mutual hatred in this region fuelled by a long dispute. Clearly the Palestinians are human beings. But in war th object is to dehumanize the opponents so participants feel more able to kill them. This is a usual (but not acceptable) result of a conflict.I'm sure the Palestinians don't exactly "love" the Israelis.
In short "what did you think was in the rice crispies?"

[ 23 July 2005: Message edited by: Peech ]

From: Babbling Brook | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca