babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » 24 children (and 2 adults) killed in Iraqi suicide car bombing

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: 24 children (and 2 adults) killed in Iraqi suicide car bombing
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 13 July 2005 08:27 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is horrible: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4678207.stm

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
PitaPlatter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8256

posted 13 July 2005 08:55 PM      Profile for PitaPlatter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What a world, such Monsters.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 13 July 2005 09:00 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Horrifying.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 13 July 2005 09:14 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by PitaPlatter:
What a world, such Monsters.

Yeah I have no idea why they wanted to go in there. At least the country wasn't rampant with wanton murder 2 years ago.

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
PitaPlatter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8256

posted 13 July 2005 09:22 PM      Profile for PitaPlatter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Other than for Saddam's Killing Fields his torture chambers etc. a real Garden Spot eh.
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 13 July 2005 09:28 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The people in the "killing fields," the ones whom the US has seen so fit to liberate are largely in fact Islamic revolutionaries of one kind or anopther -- more or less the very same ones whom are blowing themselves up right now. Good luck with the brain malfunction dude.

And actually killing fields is not a very good description of the manner of functioning of Saddam's fascist police state. But who cares about details like that when one desires to put oneself in charge of the slaughter, even though the previous adminstrators of terror were far more efficient and accurate than the present ones, whose bumbling makes Saddam's Mukabarat look like very clever folks indeed.

I have never understood why folks like you insist that killing Arab radicals should be the private domain of Israel and the USA at the exclusion of others.

[ 13 July 2005: Message edited by: Cueball ]

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
PitaPlatter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8256

posted 13 July 2005 09:35 PM      Profile for PitaPlatter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
God forbid we should actually place blame where it is due eh Cueball, say on the Murder Bombers. Your statement appears to condone this horrific act in order to justify your Anti-American zealotry. The Murder Bombers cannot be dignified as revolutionaries of any stripe.
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 13 July 2005 09:37 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And you can not be described as even being vaguley intelligent if that is what you think Iw as saying. Why don't you get someone to read over what I just said, and get them to explain it to you. I don't have time.

[ 13 July 2005: Message edited by: Cueball ]

PitaPlatter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8256

posted 13 July 2005 09:42 PM      Profile for PitaPlatter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Have a drink on me Cueball.
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 13 July 2005 09:44 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
Go away again, and then come back, Ok?
From: Québec/Ontario | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 13 July 2005 09:58 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What the hell is a "murder bomber"? Is that as opposed to a "hearts and flowers bomber"?
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 13 July 2005 10:02 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
What the hell is a "murder bomber"?

Just a code phrase -- demonstrates your moral superiority to those who would excuse them by calling them "suicide bombers."

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
PitaPlatter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8256

posted 13 July 2005 10:06 PM      Profile for PitaPlatter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The Islamic Revolutionaries referred to by an earlier poster are in fact Murder Bombers. Any attempt to equate these Monsters with the USA is sophistry.

[ 13 July 2005: Message edited by: PitaPlatter ]

Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 13 July 2005 10:08 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
No it isn't.
Nikita
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9050

posted 13 July 2005 10:10 PM      Profile for Nikita     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm confused by this argument, obviously I'm missing some important context.

What horrifies me and saddens me is 24 children are dead. It just breaks my heart.

Melsky
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4748

posted 13 July 2005 10:16 PM      Profile for Melsky   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Those guys are pretty puny murder bombers. The big bad murder bombers are dropping gigantic bombs from planes.

Murder bombers, that is a good term. I will start using it. Thanks!

PitaPlatter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8256

posted 13 July 2005 10:17 PM      Profile for PitaPlatter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You are absolutely right Nikita this is not the forum. The loss of these innocent lives is the deepest of tragedies.
PitaPlatter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8256

posted 13 July 2005 10:22 PM      Profile for PitaPlatter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Melsky, Hinterland this will be interesting reading for you both given your take on things, it's a long piece but well worth reading, Michael Medved Discussion
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 13 July 2005 10:22 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
I use "murder bombers" for the US Marines. Suicide bombers are when...you know, the bomber commits suicide in the process. Seems logical.
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 13 July 2005 10:24 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Melsky, Hinterland this will be interesting reading for you both given your take on things, it's a long piece but well worth reading, Michael Medved Discussion

Right. Pita. I'll read something from Michael Medved on David Horowitz's FrontPageMag.

Hold your breath until I do.

Nikita
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9050

posted 13 July 2005 10:24 PM      Profile for Nikita     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm not taking sides and I'm not dismissing the argument. This might be the best forum to discuss...whatever you guys were discussing.

I guess I'm frustrated because honestly, who bombs children? Who kills little kids? I guess the obivous answer is that if someone is going to do a suicide bombing then they have no respect for life at all.

[ 13 July 2005: Message edited by: Nikita ]

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 13 July 2005 10:24 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Have a drink on me Cueball.

Thanks, I'll send you a PM as to the PO Box you can send the the cheque too. After reading your posts, it will have to be a double.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 13 July 2005 10:30 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nikita:
I'm not taking sides and I'm not dismissing the argument. This might be the best forum to discuss...whatever you guys were discussing.

I guess I'm frustrated because honestly, who bombs children? Who kills little kids? I guess the obivous answer is that if someone is going to do a suicide bombing then they have no respect for life at all.

[ 13 July 2005: Message edited by: Nikita ]

Lots of people kill kids. Most of these bombings go off in areas frequented by police and or army personel. The rest is collateral damage. Who uses that phrase again. Oh yeah, it is commonly used by the US army when they they discover that children and other civilians live in cities as well as thier presumed targets.

"Oh well! Goofed up again guys." You have to wonder why the CPA stopped Iraqi hospitals from doing civilian body counts.

Nikita
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9050

posted 13 July 2005 10:33 PM      Profile for Nikita     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Good point.
PitaPlatter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8256

posted 13 July 2005 10:36 PM      Profile for PitaPlatter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hinterland we all need to listen to opposing viewpoints, how else will we learn. It is a fascinating piece and you should not dismiss it so readily. In spite of your personal feelings toward them, both Medved and Horowitz know of what they speak.
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 13 July 2005 10:38 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
No, they do not. Both are raving hysterics, although Medved at least demonstrates a certain self-awareness. They have nothing whatsoever to teach me.
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 13 July 2005 10:42 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm sorry I started this topic. I was thinking of the Iraqi kids who just wanted a bit of enjoyment in their dismal young lives.

I guess it has something to do with the heatwave. I was making lebna (strained yoghourt) from goat yoghourt I had made, and had to be careful to cover the strainer with another to keep out flies, in the heat. I wish there were some kind of strainer to keep out trolls referring to a shithead like Horowitz - the guy who put pressure on a University press to censure a book by Finkelstein - when I was thinking of the unfortunate Iraqi kids caught in the crossfire of imperialism and not-always-progressive resistance.

PitaPlatter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8256

posted 13 July 2005 10:46 PM      Profile for PitaPlatter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sounds like that yogurt has been a little over-fermented in the heat I'd say.
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 13 July 2005 10:51 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by lagatta:
I'm sorry I started this topic. I was thinking of the Iraqi kids who just wanted a bit of enjoyment in their dismal young lives.

I guess it has something to do with the heatwave. I was making lebna (strained yoghourt) from goat yoghourt I had made, and had to be careful to cover the strainer with another to keep out flies, in the heat. I wish there were some kind of strainer to keep out trolls referring to a shithead like Horowitz - the guy who put pressure on a University press to censure a book by Finkelstein - when I was thinking of the unfortunate Iraqi kids caught in the crossfire of imperialism and not-always-progressive resistance.

No its good for you to bring this up. I am becoming so used to the daily slaughter that I am begining to forget that it is going on. What a tragedy, from a to z.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 13 July 2005 10:56 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
As for the yoghourt, I made it early in the morning, and it is delicious. From my time living in Italy, I've learnt to get up at 5 am to do housework in the summer heat, quitte à faire une sieste plus tard.

I was horrified by this story, but of course far more Iraqi kids are killed by "Allied" cluster bombs. I was horrified because of how little press it will get relative to the London bombings.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 13 July 2005 10:57 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That is of course the most excruciatingly painful part. Its good that Al Jazeera is out there, bringing this kind of thing home to people. But wait... aren't they banned from reporting in Iraq now?
Nikita
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9050

posted 13 July 2005 10:59 PM      Profile for Nikita     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The attrocities in Iraq don't get nearly enough press time. It's a sickening war, there are no grounds for it and yet it continues. So, thanks lagatta for bringing it up, I probably wouldn't have heard about it otherwise.
VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 13 July 2005 11:21 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
sounds kind of flippant to me .... sorry if I'm wrong
VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 13 July 2005 11:22 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
... it is after all about:
quote:
What horrifies me and saddens me is 24 children are dead. It just breaks my heart.

Mine too....

VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 13 July 2005 11:41 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
sorry double post

[ 13 July 2005: Message edited by: VanLuke ]

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 14 July 2005 10:15 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This story is getting good coverage in the media. Soon we will be enveiged upon for not condemning, out of hand the entire, Iraqi resitance, given that they are each and everyone of them bloodthirsty murdere's who "only kill kids." And it will seem this way, surely, as the great majority of stories where the resistance clearly targets military personel and police do not generally even make a blip on the media radar screen.
Webgear
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9443

posted 14 July 2005 11:09 PM      Profile for Webgear     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Cueball

What an sad event.

"as the great majority of stories where the resistance clearly targets military personel and police do not generally even make a blip on the media radar screen."

Here is where I get a lot of my information on daily attacks from. It also covers Afghanistan. Has media sources from several different places listed.

Media Reports on the War On Terror

From: Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nikita
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9050

posted 14 July 2005 11:16 PM      Profile for Nikita     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by VanLuke:
sounds kind of flippant to me .... sorry if I'm wrong

Me? No, no that isn't how I meant it at all! I am not especially eloquent when I'm really upset, well this story really saddens me. Damn, I hope I didn't offend lagatta too.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 14 July 2005 11:20 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Webgear:
Cueball

What an sad event.

"as the great majority of stories where the resistance clearly targets military personel and police do not generally even make a blip on the media radar screen."

Here is where I get a lot of my information on daily attacks from. It also covers Afghanistan. Has media sources from several different places listed.

Media Reports on the War On Terror

That is a good resource thanks, but I was talking about the general media presentation, and its tendency to play up stories with high "human interestt" value such as the killing of children, and those which don't like the killing of soldiers.

And that site is only about "ours" not "theirs."

[ 14 July 2005: Message edited by: Cueball ]

Webgear
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9443

posted 15 July 2005 12:12 AM      Profile for Webgear     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Cueball

If you look at the news area, there are media reports for Iraq War.

There are more media reports in the OEF site, that is where I do alot of research.

OEF News

Here is a list of Iraqi Police and Soldiers killed. I notice that they get less coverage than Iraqi civillians that get killed.

Iraqi Police and Soldiers Deaths

[ 15 July 2005: Message edited by: Webgear ]

[ 15 July 2005: Message edited by: Webgear ]

From: Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 15 July 2005 01:23 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I saw some pretty heart breaking footage of a group of Iraqi (puppet) soldiers just prior to their execution. I have always found the moral distinction between civilian casualties and military casualties fairly academic.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca