FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Fatwas

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Fatwas
solarpower
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7609

posted 10 July 2005 06:37 PM      Profile for solarpower   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
An opinion piece at Jordan Times concerning the agreement made last week to end the issuing of fatwas by any one sect.

jordan times

(I don't know why the the UN keeps popping into my mind).

I guess Salmon Rushdie probably still qualifies though I have no idea what are the new rules for fatwas.

From: that which the creator created from | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 10 July 2005 09:54 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is quite interesting.

I am not sure the Salman Rushdie thing applies, though I am not sure where the Sunnis stood on that, the original Fatwa was from the Shia side of the family. It would be interesting to know if the conference recongized any Shia organizations, though my impression is that the Shia faith is unlikely to have a "school" so to speak, (except in that it is one more or less one,) in that authority is derived from the individual Immams, not schools.

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca