babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Gladiators battle in revived Jordan Games

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Gladiators battle in revived Jordan Games
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 03 July 2005 07:02 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
(Jerash, Jordan) After a 2,000-year lull, games have again hit the sands of Jordan's famed Roman-ruin city of Jerash, 30 miles north of the capital, Amman, as a group of Jordanian investors and a Swedish history buff are re-creating gladiator matches and chariot racing at Jerash's 2nd Century hippodrome.

It's a tamer version, admittedly — no lions, no lethal blows when the audience of tourists gives a thumbs down.

"We who are about to die, salute you," some dozen gladiators, clad in tunics and clasping silver swords and wooden poles bark out in Latin. The crowd goes wild as the strongmen fight, dust flying, heaving groans with every thrust of the sword.

The cheering audience issues a thumbs up or down for the victor and suddenly they are regaled with the thunderous clap of horse-drawn chariots circling the hippodrome.

"I thought it was great," Christine Nimer a tourist from Southport, Conn., said after a show Thursday. "We're headed to Rome and know we won't be seeing anything like this there. The re-enactment really brings people back in time."

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 03 July 2005 11:19 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You have got to be kidding me.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 03 July 2005 11:36 AM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think it's cool. With the beast spectacles and actual killing removed, what we are left with are actual athletic events.

Chariot racing is not so different from the chuck wagon races at the Calgary Stampede, and there are antiquarian events staged all over, based on the middle ages, or ethnicity-- like the Highland Games.

Caber tag. It's a blast. Mind the splinters.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 03 July 2005 03:55 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy_Paine:
I think it's cool. With the beast spectacles and actual killing removed, what we are left with are

. . . WWF wrestling. Which, after all, is the most popular stuff in the US media.

Not meaning to be snide. I've played with a broadsword and shield some myself. Lots of fun and a good workout, especially in armour.

[ 03 July 2005: Message edited by: Rufus Polson ]

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 03 July 2005 04:18 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
I think maybe this is a dry run for when "Little Boots" converts the Washington Mall into a chariot racetrack and the Capitol into an actual bearpit (complete with hapless liberal gladiators).

Gotta have *something* to keep the mob's mind off the economy...

[ 03 July 2005: Message edited by: Hephaestion ]

mellowyellow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9159

posted 03 July 2005 04:39 PM      Profile for mellowyellow     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hephaestion:
Gotta have *something* to keep the mob's mind off the economy...

Huh??

Solid first quarter for U.S. economy

From: Salt Spring Island | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 03 July 2005 04:51 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Stats can tell you a lot of things, not always accurately. Your stats are balanced precariously on a house of cards, I'm afraid.

Try these stats on for size...

The picture is't near so rosy.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 03 July 2005 06:38 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, has the Minessota state legislature re-opened its doors, or are they selling off the furniture?
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
mellowyellow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9159

posted 04 July 2005 12:10 AM      Profile for mellowyellow     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quoting Hephaestion:
quote:
Stats can tell you a lot of things, not always accurately.

No doubt. However, in this case, the statistics seem to unambiguously tell me that the US economy remains robust and continues to grow.

However, you seem to have mysteriously lost interest in the subject of the US economy since your previous post?

I wonder why?

[ 04 July 2005: Message edited by: mellowyellow ]

From: Salt Spring Island | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 04 July 2005 01:25 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
AFK?
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 04 July 2005 01:29 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yah know dude, this started out as kind of a refreshing change to all the other stuff we get about the Middle East, if its not Palestinians being blown up by Israelis, its Israeli's being blown up by Palestinians, and if its not gay people in Saudi Arabia being whipped under court order, its Orthodox Jews throwing feces at gay pride celebrants, and if its not any of those its US soldiers mugging for the cameras while they play "shove their gloved hand up an Iraqi asshole." Too bad this one went south too.
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 04 July 2005 01:57 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
My fault, Cueball. Ignore my snotty post about the Yanks and their teetering economy and carry on...
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 04 July 2005 02:09 AM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wow! That's great!

And brings to mind the inevitable line from Airplane:

Jimmy, do you like movies about gladiators?

[ 04 July 2005: Message edited by: Doug ]

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 06 July 2005 02:08 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This story isn't terribly unusual.

I've visited a place in France that has mock jousts, Viking attacks and gladiator fighting.

cliquez ici

The Roman stadium act included a chariot race, gladiator fights and Christians being fed to lions. This being in the Vendée though, rather than the Christians being converted to Whiskas, the Romans were converted to Christianity.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca