babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » What passes for a "Prince of Peace"

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: What passes for a "Prince of Peace"
rsfarrell
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7770

posted 01 July 2005 04:32 PM      Profile for rsfarrell        Edit/Delete Post
Rabin backed transfer in '56

Assassinated prime minister Yitzhak Rabin proposed transferring the Palestinians from the West Bank while serving as a major general in the Israel Defense Forces in 1956, according to a book published by the State Archive last week.

The transfer suggestion was raised at an IDF staff meeting attended by then-prime minister and defense minister David Ben-Gurion. Rabin proposed initiating a war against Jordan and using it to deport Palestinians from the West Bank.

"Most of them can be driven out," said Rabin, then-head of the IDF's Training Division and a week before being appointed GOC Northern Command. "If the numbers were smaller it would be easier, but the problem can be solved in principle. It would not be a humane move, but war in general is not a humane matter," he said, according to the book.

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 01 July 2005 07:38 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The difference between Rabin and Sharon, however is that Rabin's position is defined by practical realities. He can be negotiated with, as his primary concern is the safety of the Israeli state and its people, and as such he can be persuaded that a politcal solution could be viable. Sharon's basic assumptions are defined by a messianic facist vision of the Jewish right -- in both senses.

[ 01 July 2005: Message edited by: Cueball ]

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
rsfarrell
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7770

posted 01 July 2005 11:15 PM      Profile for rsfarrell        Edit/Delete Post
For me, that is perhaps the most frightening part. For if even the pragmitists dream of an ethnically cleansed state, what hope is there for peace?
From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 01 July 2005 11:25 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Those are the cards dealt. I think it was General Rabin who was bragging about a march on Damascus and overthrowing the regieme there, just prior to the 1967 invasion of the Arab countries. I can't remember which one it was General Rabin or General Peres, but it was one of the famous labour doves.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albion1
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9652

posted 15 July 2005 02:31 PM      Profile for Albion1     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
[/QUOTE]Assassinated prime minister Yitzhak Rabin proposed transferring the Palestinians from the West Bank ...
quote:

Transfer them where????

Rabin proposed initiating a war against Jordan and using it to deport Palestinians from the West Bank.
quote:

So much for wanting peace in the region. Anyone who says that there has to be war can never be an advocate for true peace and can never be trusted to bring about a peaceful solution.

[QUOTE]"Most of them can be driven out,"

Sounds racist to me!!!

I truely HATE people with this kind of mentality!!!!!

From: Toronto, ON. Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca