babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » So very sensitive and moral

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: So very sensitive and moral
rsfarrell
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7770

posted 27 June 2005 09:09 PM      Profile for rsfarrell        Edit/Delete Post
IDF solider refuses evacuation

"I didn't enlist in the IDF in order to destroy communities or prepare the ground for the destruction of communities." [sic]

There has been a morally commendable movement in Israel to refuse service in the West Bank and Gaza. It's members have endured scorn and threats from the public, and been jailed routinely and repeatly. Still, does anyone remember a time, in the long history of the occupation, in all the litany of murders and beatings, preganant women dead at checkpoints, kidnappings, human shields, and the destruction of homes, when a Jewish solider has stood up on the spot and denounced the immorality of what they were doing?

quote:
"He's a human being. He saw that his commanders were beating Jews, and he'd never seen anything like that in his life. He did not do this because of politics. He did it because he is sensitive, and because he cares, just like you would care if you saw someone beating someone else."

Yes, he'd never seen anything like that in his life. No sir. He is sensitive. He cares. Just like you would care if you saw someone beating someone else. Just hypothetically, mind.

This is very traumatic, this never-before-seen phenomenon of people being arrested and beaten and their homes destroyed. So much so, the IDF has hired dozens of psycologists to help their caring, sensitive soliders cope with the trauma.No, I'm not kidding.

What is hateful to you, do not do to others. That is the entire Law:
all the rest is commentary. --Talmud Shabbat

[ 27 June 2005: Message edited by: rsfarrell ]

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 27 June 2005 10:23 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That link didn't work for me.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
rsfarrell
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7770

posted 28 June 2005 04:35 AM      Profile for rsfarrell        Edit/Delete Post
They both work fine for me. Anybody else have problems?

Both stories are in today's Haaretz, if the links still won't work for you.

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 28 June 2005 08:25 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The hypocrisy exposed in those stories is palpable, if not commented on.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca