babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Yikes! Iran-Iraq border tensions may explode

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Yikes! Iran-Iraq border tensions may explode
Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 17 June 2005 05:55 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
http://feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/?sid=6fda5524e9764420

I bet this is exactly what Bush wants.

remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 17 June 2005 06:05 PM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Uh, Bush is Iraq!
From: "watching the tide roll away" | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
solarpower
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7609

posted 17 June 2005 06:16 PM      Profile for solarpower   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Meanwhile the USA drops 9 500 pound bombs in Iraq near the Syrian border.
From: that which the creator created from | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
solarpower
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7609

posted 27 June 2005 10:23 PM      Profile for solarpower   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Scott Ritter's article on the Iran war.
al jazeera

From: that which the creator created from | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 28 June 2005 08:23 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Iran's response: "Yeah? You and what army?"

Followed quickly by: "Oh. That army. *gulp*"

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 28 June 2005 03:11 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Down towards the end I noticed something. They were talking about capturing people sabotaging oil lines and claiming they were Iranian.

Now, I can see two things happening here, maybe at the same time.
First, the Iranians probably in fact aren't happy about the US being next door, and they'd probably be just as happy if Iraqi oil production stayed low--helps keep prices high without Iran actually having to curtail production, and they'd probably be happy if the US' hands stayed full enough in Iraq that they had to hesitate a bit before going after anyone else in the area. So I can imagine them putting some work into, as deniably as possible, blowing a pipeline or two. But it's real risky, so I dunno.
Second, the Americans could well be continuing the same old combination of deflecting blame and designating the enemy that they've been pulling all along with Syria. No, no, Iraqis wouldn't be sabotaging our . . . um, I mean their . . . pipelines. No, of course it's not that the locals are irredeemably pissed off with our fundamentally wrong and utterly hamfisted occupation. No, it's those nasty foreigners--specifically Iranians! See, we told you we have to attack Iran!

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bacchus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4722

posted 28 June 2005 03:17 PM      Profile for Bacchus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
*shrugs* Maybe they will just attack one of their own radio stations with prisoners dressed in polish army uniforms who they kill and use as evidence to back war

wait a minute, wrong war, wrong country

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 28 June 2005 03:55 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Any pretext will do. I heard Rummy on CBC this morning saying that the US war on Iraq is necessary because they'd rather fight terrorists over there than at home.

Bush said much the same about a week ago (I've linked to that speech somewhere else on babble), and nobody called him on it.

The Busheviks haven't given up on The Big Lie. Even when all evidence shows that there never was any connexion between al-Quaida and Saddam Hussayn, they keep saying that there is one.Rumsfeld Will Not Set Timetable for Iraq Withdrawal

quote:
Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld today rejected calls to set a timetable for the withdrawal of U.S. forces from Iraq, saying that would be a "mistake" because it would send a "lifeline to terrorists."

[ 28 June 2005: Message edited by: al-Qa'bong ]

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Bassick
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8822

posted 28 June 2005 04:02 PM      Profile for Paul Bassick     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"Even when all evidence shows that there never was any connexion between al-Quaida and Saddam Hussayn, they keep saying that there is one."

There is a connection between the two, they are tied together by the fact that the Bush administration will happily use either of them to do whatever the hell it wants.

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 29 June 2005 12:35 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
IraQ

al-Qaida

There's the connexion.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 29 June 2005 04:36 AM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh the good ole Q factor, eh!
From: "watching the tide roll away" | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 29 June 2005 12:10 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Speaking of Q factor:

al-Qa'bong

HMMMM

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca