babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » NY Times: When Apologia and Distortion, Meets Coverage of Israeli/Palestinian Deaths

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: NY Times: When Apologia and Distortion, Meets Coverage of Israeli/Palestinian Deaths
Insurrection
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6622

posted 27 April 2005 11:22 PM      Profile for Insurrection     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This story has been going for a bit and there are more then enough links to follow (Daniel Okrent's column would be a start)but for now at least, it seems far from over. In more ways then one...

quote:
A little over a week ago, some members of our organization, If Americans Knew, met with New York Times Public Editor Daniel Okrent to discuss the findings of a detailed study we had completed of two years worth of Times news stories on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Okrent was going to be writing a column discussing the paper’s coverage of Israel/Palestine, and we felt our study would be an important resource.

Using a PowerPoint presentation, we explained our findings and gave him copies of the 23-page report, along with approximately 40 pages of supporting documentation.

In order to find as clear and objective a measure as possible, our studies examine how news organizations report deaths among both populations, Israelis and Palestinian. Basically, we simply count the deaths reported on both sides of the conflict, and then compare these to the actual number of deaths that had occurred. It is our view that all deaths are equally tragic regardless of race, religion, or ethnicity; we hoped that the Times shared that perspective.

ei

From: exit in the world | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 27 April 2005 11:36 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I would have put this in media, most of us down here in Hades, I mean the ME forum, have seen this, or stuff like this, before. It nice to air the laundry in the other forums once and a while.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Insurrection
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6622

posted 27 April 2005 11:44 PM      Profile for Insurrection     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wish I'd thought of that but it was one of those spur-of-the-moment 'not sure if I should post this but I'll go for it anyway' type of things...
From: exit in the world | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca