babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Israeli police nab 31 Jewish extremists

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Israeli police nab 31 Jewish extremists
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 10 April 2005 05:59 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
JERUSALEM - Thousands of Israeli police mobilized at Jerusalem's most sensitive holy site Sunday but confronted only a handful of Jewish extremists intent on scuttling a Gaza pullout by tying up security forces. In Gaza, militants fired dozens of mortar shells after Israeli forces killed three teenagers.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, speaking on a plane taking him to Monday's meeting with President Bush, said the mortar fire "is a flagrant violation of the understandings" reached at the February truce summit with Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas.

"And this will be a central issue to be raised in my talks with President Bush," Sharon said.

Police arrested 31 extremist Jews who planned to demonstrate Sunday in the Old City of Jerusalem, along with a West Bank Hamas leader who spoke at the holy site. But the 10,000 demonstrators pledged by organizers never materialized; only a few dozen showed up.

Despite the low turnout, Israeli officials acknowledged the protesters appeared to have accomplished their goal of showing how easy it will be to divert large numbers of troops from their main mission this summer — the planned Gaza pullout.

At the center of the drama is the most sensitive and hotly disputed holy site in the Holy Land — a hilltop known as the Temple Mount to Jews and Noble Sanctuary to Muslims. It is where the Al Aqsa Mosque compound, including the shrine marking the spot where Muslims believe Mohammed ascended to heaven, is built over the ruins of the biblical Jewish Temples.

Clashes at the site could ignite violence across the region, explaining the presence of 3,000 riot-ready Israeli police around the walled Old City, preparing to confront a handful of demonstrators.

Extremist Jews who make up a new group called "Revava," a biblical word that means 10,000, stated openly that their goal is to storm the sensitive site in July, when thousands of Israeli police and soldiers are in Gaza to evacuate 9,000 settlers — forcing Israel's leaders to pull the forces from Gaza, send them to Jerusalem and, in that way, stop the pullout. The Sunday protest, they said, was just a test.

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
RookieActivist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4089

posted 10 April 2005 06:45 PM      Profile for RookieActivist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This would be an excellent time for Macabee to tell everyone how Israel is a democratic state and look how they crack down on extremists. And he would be right. Only I doubt he approves of Israel's actions here.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 10 April 2005 07:07 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
To be fair to Macabee, I think from his past posting patterns that he probably WOULD support the Israeli government in this action. He generally approves of Israel's action against crimes committed by their own citizens and, as you say, holds it up as evidence that they police their own citizens as well as Palestinians.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 10 April 2005 07:20 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'll wait for the whitewa.. ah, trial and conviction, yeah, that was it. Trial and conviction.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
FabFabian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7496

posted 10 April 2005 08:12 PM      Profile for FabFabian        Edit/Delete Post
Big deal.
Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 10 April 2005 08:17 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think the Settler movement is, despite themselves, doing the Palestinian people a great favour (so long as there is no loss of life). Their intransigence, their threats, their unwillingness to make the smallest concession etc. shows the world exactly what kind of Israeli has absconded with Palestinian land and driven the Israeli agenda for far too long.

The world wants a two-state solution. I think even the most committed one-stater would accept a two-state solution acceptable to the Palestinian people. The instransigents with the most clear goal to thwart that end are the settlers.

From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 10 April 2005 08:52 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Don't kid yourself, either. Sharon looooooves the settlers. They are one of the few things that can make *him* look like a "moderate".

Sort of.

RookieActivist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4089

posted 10 April 2005 09:15 PM      Profile for RookieActivist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You could be right Michelle.

I still see some irony, though, in those who say Abbas/Arafat, whoever, isn't cracking down on extremists, and then complain when Israel does.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 11 April 2005 12:41 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think Macabee can speak for himself.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 11 April 2005 02:58 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I do too, Cueball. I just thought maybe I'd try to defuse it before it got going. The best way to start WWIII in these threads is to say something in the second post about what some other poster should say or thing, or will probably say or think.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 11 April 2005 03:09 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If we had an effective international organization for peace -- we could call it the United Nations, for instance -- and it looked as though the settlers' strategy to divert Israeli troops and police from the Gaza pullout was likely to work, then that organization would have a neutral force already in place on this site -- ideally, in the whole of East Jerusalem.
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 11 April 2005 03:17 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by skdadl:
If we had an effective international organization for peace -- we could call it the United Nations, for instance --

Oh, skdadl is being a wit, skdadl is...

~~~~~~~~

ooops! cut too much the first time, and had to add it back in. d'oh!

[ 11 April 2005: Message edited by: Hephaestion ]

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 11 April 2005 01:06 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrConway:
I'll wait for the whitewa.. ah, trial and conviction, yeah, that was it. Trial and conviction.

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 13 April 2005 12:07 PM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by RookieActivist:
This would be an excellent time for Macabee to tell everyone how Israel is a democratic state and look how they crack down on extremists. And he would be right. Only I doubt he approves of Israel's actions here.
Why would I not approve of Israel's actions? I endorse them completely.

And for those who think there will be a whitewash come trial time think again. Having recently returned from Israel, I can tell you that amongst Israel;ius there is a palpable anger at these extremists. Israelis will not allow these people to scuttle the process. I believe you will see harsh sentences especially if any violence ensues

[ 13 April 2005: Message edited by: Macabee ]

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 13 April 2005 02:41 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Israelis will not allow these people to scuttle the process. I believe you will see harsh sentences especially if any violence ensues

We shall see.

I've bookmarked this thread...

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 13 April 2005 06:40 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Jewish settlers prepare for mass resistance to evacuation from Gaza

quote:
NEVE DEKALIM, Gaza Strip (AP) - Jewish settlers in Gaza have collected hundreds of tents and are stockpiling food for thousands of supporters they expect to arrive in coming days to help resist this summer's evacuation.

An Associated Press reporter saw piles of hundreds of tents, sleeping bags and cans of food in a Gaza warehouse Wednesday, and settlers said more is on the way.

Removal of the 21 settlements from Gaza and four from the West Bank is shaping up as a traumatic social episode in Israel's history. There are warnings of opposition, even armed resistance, against thousands of police and soldiers who are to take down veteran settlements in those territories for the first time.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, winding up a visit to the United States, said in a television interview this week that the atmosphere around the pullout "looks like the eve of the civil war."

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 13 April 2005 07:29 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
And for those who think there will be a whitewash come trial time think again. Having recently returned from Israel, I can tell you that amongst Israel;ius there is a palpable anger at these extremists. Israelis will not allow these people to scuttle the process. I believe you will see harsh sentences especially if any violence ensues

You don't get it. The withdrawal is the whitewash. This removal of settlers is only a cover for the outright annexation of East Jerusalem, and other signifcant sections of the West Bank, and probably the whole damn thing in another 20 years.

[ 13 April 2005: Message edited by: Cueball ]

Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 14 April 2005 09:14 AM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cueball:

You don't get it. The withdrawal is the whitewash. This removal of settlers is only a cover for the outright annexation of East Jerusalem, and other signifcant sections of the West Bank, and probably the whole damn thing in another 20 years.

[ 13 April 2005: Message edited by: Cueball ]

No I get it. You really arent interested in any solution. You prefer to engage in doom and gloom continually painting Israel in a manner that sees no end. This at a time when most people are seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 14 April 2005 09:46 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Who is most people?

He is correct and Sharon doesn't deny it. Remember his former aide? Dov Weissglas?

Sharon's goal is to seize a larger part of the West Bank and ensure the impracticallity of any future Palestinian state -- something you say you support. And if you do, why are you not openly critical of continued settlement expansion?

The Palestinian state being envisioned by Likud and with your apologies is a South African Apartheid-era network of Bantus and reservations.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 14 April 2005 12:43 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
No I get it. You really arent interested in any solution. You prefer to engage in doom and gloom continually painting Israel in a manner that sees no end. This at a time when most people are seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

Does the tunnel exit on the east side of the Jordan river for Arabs?

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 14 April 2005 03:24 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cueball:

Does the tunnel exit on the east side of the Jordan river for Arabs?

Cue: Two state soulution first, one state solution second. Be patient.

Mac:
I think that the withdrawal from Gaza is a good thing, but without a complete withdrawal from the West Bank, which contains most of the arable land in the occupied territories, a viable Palestinian state cannot be founded, and peace will never come. There is absolutely no evidence that a withdrawl from the WB will happen. Stop swallowing the propaganda of the Israeli Ziofascist establishment, and pay attention to those people in Israeli society who actually want peace.

*Edited because I thought the firs part of the post wasn't neccisary.

[ 14 April 2005: Message edited by: CMOT Dibbler ]

From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 14 April 2005 04:19 PM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coyote:
a two-state solution acceptable to the Palestinian people

Are we talking about less than 100% of Israel?

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 14 April 2005 04:46 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gir Draxon:

Yep.

[ 14 April 2005: Message edited by: CMOT Dibbler ]

From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 14 April 2005 06:54 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think we have been over this before.
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 15 April 2005 01:22 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Don't kid yourself, Cueball; Mac gets it.

What he posted on the topic is just mishification meant to placate the rabble.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 15 April 2005 03:26 AM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gir Draxon:

Have you ever read anything I've ever written on the issue? What an insulting question.

From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 15 April 2005 04:55 AM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Coyote, don't mind Gir, he is busy piddling here and sucking up to the mistress of the night, so he can gloat with them, too much fluff filling his head perhaps for him to understand the 2 state solution?

I think you are quite correct, the world needs to see how some Israeli fanatics have been driving way too many occupation activities.

From: "watching the tide roll away" | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 15 April 2005 06:57 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Come to think of it this is an interesting question. First Gir, tell me where the borders of Israel are? I am not asking where you think they are, or should be, or where the Palestinians think they should be, but where are and how they are defined by the state of Israel.

I think that you will find, if you search Israeli government documents, that Israel has not, and never has defined its borders. This is probably one of the reasons that its armed forces, soon followed by the ubiquitous settlers, seem to be leak continuously into the neighboring territories.

After all it would be down right racist to suggest that Jews should not "be allowed to live where ever they want" -- an part of the official Likud party platform. Even in your living room Gir.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca