babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Famed spiral minaret damaged in Iraq

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Famed spiral minaret damaged in Iraq
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 01 April 2005 09:43 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Where will this end? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4401577.stm
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 01 April 2005 11:37 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Rather reminds me of Napolean's soldiers using the sphinx for target practice. Eggs get broken when Chef George is cookin' up the big omelette of "democracy", I guess, eh?
From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 01 April 2005 03:38 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Fuckers.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 01 April 2005 03:50 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cueball:
Fuckers.

Seconded.

insurgent fuckers.

From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 01 April 2005 04:04 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
BBC Baghdad correspondent Caroline Hawley says extensive looting of archaeological sites, particularly in southern Iraq, has also raised serious concerns about the effects of the war on the country's heritage.

Our heritage too, no?

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 01 April 2005 04:18 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by HeywoodFloyd:
Seconded. insurgent fuckers.

Ummm, I think the word you are so assiduously avoiding, Heywood, is rebel resistance, not "insurgent"— unless you buy into all the USA/UK propaganda and double-speak, that is.

Also, maybe you missed it, so I'll highlight it:

quote:
US troops pulled out of the site last month.

A senior government official told the BBC the Americans should have ensured it was properly protected.

Iraqi antiquities officials have asked for compensation after the walls of an ancient palace in Samarra occupied by the Americans were cracked.

Coalition troops have been heavily criticised for earlier damage done to the ancient site of Babylon which was taken over as a military base.

BBC Baghdad correspondent Caroline Hawley says extensive looting of archaeological sites, particularly in southern Iraq, has also raised serious concerns about the effects of the war on the country's heritage.

And please note, that "southern Iraq" has largely been "pacified", so I don't think it's Iraquis who are looting their own historic sites.

I'm sure you just missed all that on the first read-through, though.

And as for the minaret in the headline...

quote:
Police say insurgents blew up the top section of the 52m (162ft) Malwiya tower, which had been used by US soldiers as a lookout position.

It reminds me of the US's excuse when "collateral damage" was being done as they blew the shit out of Iraqi neighbourhoods while hunting "insurgents"... "well, they shouldn't have been hiding in those areas." Except in those cases it was dead civilians, not a damaged landmark.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
edited to change "rebel" to "resistance"

[ 01 April 2005: Message edited by: Hephaestion ]

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
verbatim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 569

posted 01 April 2005 04:42 PM      Profile for verbatim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think as an alternative to financial compensation it would be fair to blow the top few meters off the Washington Monument, no?

Why are US troops using these spots for military purposes? I can understand why they would want to deny them to the enemy, but why are they actually using them? Obviously they're not in as superior a strategic position as they would like everyone to believe.

From: The People's Republic of Cook Street | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papal Bull
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7050

posted 01 April 2005 05:05 PM      Profile for Papal Bull   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So. You know how there was a glimmer that sometimes America would make a good decision or something?

Fuck them. Fuck them.

From: Vatican's best darned ranch | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 02 April 2005 04:22 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by HeywoodFloyd:

insurgent fuckers.

Why do you cheerleaders for the US Empire claim not to understand the difference between trying to drive an invader out of your country and sedition against a legitimate domestic government?

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 02 April 2005 05:05 PM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
al-Qa'bong, you could chose:

Delusion?

Racism?

Ignorance?

All of the above?

I choose all of the above.

From: "watching the tide roll away" | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 04 April 2005 09:50 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think Heywood's point is that, for once, it was not American ordinance that was responsible for the destruction of this historical landmark. The insurgents set off the explosion, if news sources are giving us an accurate account. Insurgent fuckers.

For the other hundreds of architectural wonders destroyed in this adventure, we can safely say American fuckers.

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 04 April 2005 12:46 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Actually Heph, I think you missed it.

quote:

Police say insurgents blew up the top section of the 52m (162ft) Malwiya tower, which had been used by US soldiers as a lookout position.
US troops pulled out of the site last month.

They had abandoned the position last month. This was entirely the responsiblity of the insuregents.

And, unlike other posters, I'm not editorializing the content of the original report. They used insurgent, I use insurgent.

quote:

While I'm glad that the bbc correspondent has formed an opinion as to looting, too bad she forgot to mention the LOOTERS in all that.

quote:
Originally posted by remind:
al-Qa'bong, you could chose:

Delusion?

Racism?

Ignorance?

All of the above?

I choose all of the above.

Aww Remind. That's so sweet of you. When you're done accusing me of being an ignorant delusional racist, could you go copulate with yourself? Gee. Thanks.

From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 04 April 2005 01:41 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
They expect us to believe the Iraqis would blow up their own historic site because it had been used by the U.S.? This in one of the "quiet" areas of the country? Nope. I'm betting Billy-Bob and Cletus were using it for target practice.

[ 04 April 2005: Message edited by: black_dog ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca