babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Religious leaders battle Jerusalem gay festival

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Religious leaders battle Jerusalem gay festival
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 31 March 2005 12:39 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Religious leaders overcome predjudice, come together for predjudice

quote:
International gay leaders are planning a 10-day WorldPride festival and parade in Jerusalem in August, saying they want to make a statement about tolerance and diversity in the Holy City, home to three great religious traditions.

Now major leaders of the three faiths - Christianity, Judaism and Islam - are making a rare show of unity to try to stop the festival. They say the event would desecrate the city and convey the erroneous impression that homosexuality is acceptable.

Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 31 March 2005 12:52 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
Aw, that's so sweet. They're united in their hatred and condemnation of people who don't cause them any problems and rarely choose to interact with them on any meaningful level. God must be so happy right now.

By the way, what is this, a Renaissance Fair?:

From: Québec/Ontario | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 31 March 2005 01:57 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"So, a priest, a rabbi and a mullah walk into a bar..."

[ 31 March 2005: Message edited by: black_dog ]

Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 31 March 2005 02:43 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
But *NOT* a gay bar. We want to be very clear on that.
From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 31 March 2005 02:53 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
Well, that's obvious. Check out the wood panel and the curtains.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 31 March 2005 03:03 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 31 March 2005 03:16 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
This piece of lunacy fits here as well as anywhere.

quote:
(Madonna) is being taken to task by conservative Catholics angered that she and her director-hubby, Guy Ritchie, showed up at a bash celebrating the Jewish holiday of Purim dressed as a nun and pope respectively.

William Donahue, president of the Catholic League, verbally crucified the pair, arguing that their appearance at London's Kabbalah Center Purim Party, drinking and dancing in clerical attire, was offensive coming on Holy Thursday, three days before Christianity's most revered holiday, Easter.

"They're trying to tweak Catholicism again by exploiting the Jewish holiday," Donahue told E! Online of the couple's appearance. "She needs to be beaten with a ruler by a real-life nun and he needs to paddled on his behind by a real-life priest. That would please the Catholic League."

Chance are not as much as it might please Madonna and Guy Ritchie.

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,16224,00.html

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 31 March 2005 04:20 PM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If this wouldnt be so sad it would be funny.
aka Mycroft
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6640

posted 31 March 2005 05:49 PM      Profile for aka Mycroft     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by black_dog:
Religious leaders overcome predjudice, come together for predjudice

Reminds me of that line in the film "Lone Star" about how moving it is when people overcome the hatred that divides them in order to succumb to a much deeper hatred.

The Other Todd
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7964

posted 31 March 2005 07:04 PM      Profile for The Other Todd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Apropos of my thread on the anti-Zionist essay, but I think this belongs here even more (what with that smashing headline):

The image is the message as religious leaders appear together at Islamic school

Meagan Fitzpatrick
The Ottawa Citizen

Thursday, March 31, 2005

In a show of solidarity, prominent representatives of three religious faiths visited the Abraar School yesterday to leave students with a lasting image of co-operation.

http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen/news/city/story.html?id=f682 3c17-41f4-4420-8cf3-8cca8be6fa1e

[I can hear them talking together: "Do you think we should tell them 'No fags, either?"]

[ 31 March 2005: Message edited by: The Other Todd ]

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 31 March 2005 07:52 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
I think it's time Israel moved beyond freedom OF religion to freedom FROM religion.

[Please note: there IS a difference between "religion" and "spirituality" or "faith". Religion should be stamped out wherever it rears its ugly head, IMHO...]

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 31 March 2005 08:07 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And on that, thank goodness you do not have the final say, Heph. Here's a hint: When you start to sound like Stockholm . . . stop.
From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 31 March 2005 08:14 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Hey, you know what they say, Coyote... "Love the religionist; hate the religion."
Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 31 March 2005 08:20 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't know how many times I've tried to impress on you, and I'm going to stop soon, that this reductionist tendency of yours to equate all religion with fundamentalism is its own form of bigotry. Most people, of any given faith, are not there for the politics; they are there for the sense of communion and belonging that our consumer society rejects. Sometimes, too often, that religion takes a fundamentalist turn. But there is nothing in "religion", in and of itself, that necessitates bigotry; nor is there anything in secularism that necessitates tolerance or openness. When you attack religion in the way you do, you are attacking potential allies; when you give secularism a free pass, you ignore potential threats.
From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 31 March 2005 08:59 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Oh for... It's not like I *can* stamp out religion now, even if I wanted, is it? And I don't exactly have a following either, do I? I'd say if it wasn't for all the religious-inspired bigotry, I wouldn't need to worry so much about finding "allies" because my gawwdamn civil rights probably would have been accorded to me when I was born, and no one would ever question them.

It's not like I see bands of humanists getting together to protest in front of Parliament or the Supreme Court, is it? And if humanists start telling stories about how queers are "abominations" and dragging out 2,000+ year-old stories about how they deserve death, they can be charged with spreading hate. Not religionists, nope... they get a free pass, 'cause it's a "morals" issue. Ptah!!!

I just get a little sick of it after a while. Don't blame me if I blow a fuse very one in a blue moon. It's not as if it's without reason.

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 31 March 2005 11:44 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Just keep in mind how small is each of our own private stocks of Reason.
From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
AppleSeed
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8513

posted 01 April 2005 12:00 AM      Profile for AppleSeed     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Two ounces of Reason will See yer two Ounces O' Scotch.

Huh. So, just remember, they can never take it away from you, though you break.

In the end, you remember.

AppleSeed
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8513

posted 01 April 2005 12:24 AM      Profile for AppleSeed     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So Coyote, once the Old Fool In Rome shuffles of this mortal coil, what's going to happen to the catholic church?

A pope from Africa?

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 01 April 2005 12:27 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by al-Qa'bong:
Just keep in mind how small is each of our own private stocks of Reason.

How true. And I see little enough reason to dilute what I do have. Here's my "hymn"...

quote:
Imagine

Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
It isnt hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

[ 01 April 2005: Message edited by: Hephaestion ]

praenomen3
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4758

posted 01 April 2005 07:10 AM      Profile for praenomen3        Edit/Delete Post
"John and I literally used to sit down and say, 'Now, let's write a swimming pool.'"

-Paul McCartney

Although I don't know if that holds true for Lennon's above-quoted ode to "fluffy nihilism"; it was a solo effort.

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 01 April 2005 07:56 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
"fluffy nihilism"

Haahahahahahahahhaha... yer funnyyy!!!

"fluffy nihilism" trumps regressive autocracy, in my books.

Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 01 April 2005 08:40 AM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by AppleSeed:
So Coyote, once the Old Fool In Rome shuffles of this mortal coil, what's going to happen to the catholic church?

A pope from Africa?

I don't know about Africa, maybe, but what I am betting on is a Pope so conservative he'll make JPII look like a Marxist.

NDP Newbie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5089

posted 01 April 2005 09:10 AM      Profile for NDP Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coyote:
I don't know about Africa, maybe, but what I am betting on is a Pope so conservative he'll make JPII look like a Marxist.

So we'll more Donald Tsang and pRick Santorum = Good and Charlie Angus and Jean-Bertrand Aristide = Bad?

Thank God I left the fascist hate cult.

praenomen3
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4758

posted 01 April 2005 10:03 AM      Profile for praenomen3        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hephaestion:
..."fluffy nihilism" trumps regressive autocracy, in my books.

I'll give a (wide) pass to both, thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Hinterland:
By the way, what is this, a Renaissance Fair?.

Look on the bright side, H. If the Pride parade goes ahead anyway, they'll fit right in.

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 01 April 2005 11:20 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by praenomen3:
I'll give a (wide) pass to both, thanks.

But of the two...

Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 01 April 2005 11:40 AM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I tend to avoid false dichotomies altogether, thanx.

You know I like ya, Heph. I just think you have a very closed mind about a very broad topic, and as much as I understand your reasoning I think you need to reflect on it.

All love, buddy.

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 01 April 2005 12:48 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Sorry Coyote. I can't concentrate on what you're saying. I'm too distracted by the din of progressive church leaders roundly condemning Karol Wojtyla and Jerry Falwell for their regressive, bigoted policies that have caused so many deaths and hurt so many people.

Yup... it sure makes my heart swell to see so many moral folks saying "damn the consequences"and standing up for what's right...

quote:
I - I'm a gonna take a just-a one step more
'Cause I feel like bombin' a church -
Now - now that you know that the preacher is lyin'.
So who's gonna stay at home
When - when the freedom fighters are fighting?

Bob Marley - "Talkin' Blues"

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 20 April 2005 08:50 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Liberal rabbis call anti-gay fundamentalist alliance of bigots an "unholy alliance"

quote:
Reform, Conservative, and Reconstructionist rabbis Tuesday expressed their support for World Pride celebrations scheduled for this August in Jerusalem.

Liberal rabbis are often at odds with their Orthodox counterparts in Israel and today's announcement not unexpectedly angered the traditionalists.

At a news conference Tuesday at Open House the LGBT center in Jerusalem leaders of the three liberal branches of Judaism called the opposition to World Pride an "unholy alliance" of Israel's chief rabbis, Latin Patriarch Michel Sabbah, Catholic Archbishop Pietro Sambi, and leaders of the Muslim community.

[...]

Following today's news conference leaders of the groups opposing World Pride said that they remain adamant the event be cancelled and repeated their calls for the government to step in an block it.

Crippled_Newsie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7024

posted 26 April 2005 09:43 AM      Profile for Crippled_Newsie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
From 365Gay.com:
quote:
(Jerusalem) Police are investigating a fire at Jerusalem's only LGBT bar as extreme Orthodox rabbis and Christian evangelical groups ratchet up the rhetoric in opposition to World Pride celebrations scheduled for the city this summer.

From: It's all about the thumpa thumpa. | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 26 April 2005 10:39 AM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
On The Daily Show yesterday, Jon Stewart lampooned the topic of the original post of this thread (they even laughed at the picture I posted above). The Orthodox Rabbi was purported to have said "It's the Holy Land, not the Homo Land." From that, Stewart joked that the Rabbi continued: "...and it's Israel, not Hisrael; it's Jerusalem, not Cher-usalem, and we're the children of Abraham, not Gay-braham."

If only these hateful religious nutbags were half as funny in real life.

sock puppet
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7739

posted 26 April 2005 10:45 AM      Profile for sock puppet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coyote:

Good call - unfortunately, you were spot-on there.

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 26 April 2005 11:00 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
From Tape's link to the gay club arsonist story:

quote:
Sa'ar Netanel, a member of Jerusalem's city council and the owner of the bar, Shushan, said that Sunday night a man entered the doorway of the club and threw a burning rag inside.

Flames spread quickly but patrons escaped without injury.

Oh well, you can't win them all... but these "men of gawd" won't give up *that* easily...

quote:
No one has claimed responsibility but relations have worsened between city's gays and conservative rabbis, Muslim clerics, and Christian fundamentalists in recent weeks.

[...]

At a news conference last month, Shlomo Amar, Israel's Sephardic chief rabbi said that Jerusalem's Open House, the LGBT center which is organizing the celebration is "creating a deep and terrible sorrow that is unbearable."

"We can't permit anybody to come and make the Holy City dirty. This is very ugly and very nasty to have these people come to Jerusalem," Abdel Aziz Bukhari, a Sufi sheik, said.

Other Muslim officials have warned that if the gay pride organizers do not heed warnings and attempt to march in Jerusalem, “their lives will be in danger”

Wait... that round of condemnation from the world-wide community of religious leaders is coming any time now...

NDP Newbie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5089

posted 26 April 2005 11:01 AM      Profile for NDP Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tape_342:
From 365Gay.com:

The religious right only understands violence. Let us stop showing them mercy.

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 05 May 2005 09:47 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Shimon Peres joins in...

quote:
Israel's Vice Premier and the leader of the Labor Party has joined the growing opposition to an international gay pride event scheduled for Jerusalem this summer.

"It is inappropriate as Jerusalem is the center of three faiths, and such an event could offend the sensibilities of religious people the world over," Shimon Peres said in a statement released by his office on Tuesday.

But, his office also denied a report that in a meeting with Sephardic Chief Rabbi Shlomo Amar, Peres had called gay pride events "repellant".

"He never said anything against homosexuals," a spokesperson for Peres said.

The left within his own party, and other liberal lawmakers nevertheless are accusing Peres of siding with Israel's religious right-wing to make political gains.

Crippled_Newsie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7024

posted 06 May 2005 04:05 PM      Profile for Crippled_Newsie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
World Pride now postponed? Depends who you believe:

quote:
Jerusalem's Open House, the LGBT center, is denying published reports that it has postponed holding World Pride in the city this summer.

Earlier Thursday the Jerusalem Post quoted organizers of the event as saying it was being put off because World Pride would coincide with a planned pullout by Israeli troops of Gaza.

But, Thursday night, World Pride organizers said no decision had been taken.

Organizers of the event told 365Gay.com that if the Israeli government decides to conduct the pullout on the exact dates of World Pride it would pose a problem.

Crippled_Newsie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7024

posted 17 May 2005 02:30 AM      Profile for Crippled_Newsie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Jerusalem World Pride Cancelled
quote:
The international gay pride festival that was set to take place this summer in Jerusalem has been cancelled due to the disengagement, Army Radio reported on Sunday.

The World Pride Parade was set to be held in August, which is when Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's planned pullout from the Gaza Strip and northern West Bank is slated to take place.

Clerics warned that such a gathering would invoke God's wrath and consistently called homosexuality a "sin." Others, like Rabbi Yehuda Levine, of the Rabbinic Council of America, said the event would be a "spiritual rape" of the city.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca