babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Amnesty International and the killing of Rachel Corrie

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Amnesty International and the killing of Rachel Corrie
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 21 March 2005 09:00 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Washington, DC - Observing the two-year anniversary of the killing of Rachel Corrie on March 16, 2003, Amnesty International USA (AIUSA) today called on Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to support an independent investigation of her death. Corrie, a US citizen, was apparently trying to stop the demolition of a Palestinian building in the Rafah refugee camp in the Gaza Strip when an Israeli army bulldozer ran her over, crushing her to death.

Amnesty International believes that investigations into Corrie's death, conducted by the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF), failed to resolve contradictions between the official IDF position and eyewitness testimonies. Although this year's Department of State Country Report on Human Rights Practices for Israel agreed, stating bluntly that "U.S. officials who have seen the IDF report found inconsistencies among the statements of the people involved in the accident and other witnesses," there is no indication that the US has sought further investigation of these inconsistencies. While the US government has assisted in the investigations into cases of US citizens killed by Palestinian armed groups, it has failed to do so in Corrie's case, raising the appearance of a double standard.

more...

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 21 March 2005 09:11 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
One wouldn't expect Secretary Rice to respond, of course, but it is important for AI to keep this and related issues on the table in hopes of better regimes to come.

I believe, btw, that there is a commemorative thread for Rachel Corrie and others around here somewhere, not that I can find it just now.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 21 March 2005 09:25 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Here is the thread commemorating the second year of the killing of Rachel Corrie and (soon) of Tom Hurndall, as well as many unknown local activists ... Rachel + Tom thread

[ 21 March 2005: Message edited by: lagatta ]

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 21 March 2005 12:55 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is what I wrote, gut reaction, the day after this death:

I didn't know Rachel Corrie, but her death affected my deeply. I found out at work yesterday, in a telephone conversation with Rachel Engler-Stringer.

I fell to the floor.

My co-workers, wonderful people that they are, took over my responsibilities and let me begin mourning.

From work I went to the Vimy Memorial (in Saskatoon, Canada) for the Peace Vigil, where the wonderful members of our community shared their mourning with mine, as the brutal machinery of death poises itself to destroy the lives of innocent Iraqis.

I'm not really sure why Ms Corrie's death has hit me so hard. Perhaps it is the fact that she was (was, in this context, is a horrible word) a member of the ISM. Perhaps it is that I have been in similar situations and feel guilty that I am still here. Perhaps when I hear that a Rachel has died in Palestine I immediately associate this with our Rachel. Regardless,
yesterday I cried; today I am numb.

I don't want to believe that there is a degree to which it hurts me so because it is a white person, an American, that has died, but I suppose that is possible. The ramifications of Ms Corrie's murder are certainly horrible for the ISM's work in Palestine, using our citizenship to stand between Palestinians and their oppressors. It is clear that we are all expendable, and perhaps that frightens me more than the knowledge that Palestinian and Arab lives have always been cheaply sold.

I am afraid that this day will be pushed aside for other deaths, new deaths, exploding, prime-time, made-for-TV deaths to be bandied about like batting averages and goal percentages. I am afraid that heroes like Rachel Corrie will go unmourned. I am afraid that I will lose the pain that I am feeling and move on, just so, and forget.

I am no longer a religious person, and in certain ways that troubles me. Not long ago I would have known that I could pray and have a Higher Power with which to share the guilt, shame, and rage. As an Atheist, all I have is other people. I think it is enough.

I think we will not forget Rachel Corrie. I think we will not forget the Palestinian people. I think we will oppose this new but old war in our different ways, singly and together, and ensure that no one who resists this empire will die in vain. I think we are the difference that will change this world, will topple this empire, and will move on to a better and more humane future. I believe it because I have to.

Something has to change. It might as well be now.

peace, love, solidarity,
Thomas

From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca