babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Palestinian population exceeds Jewish population says U.S. government

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Palestinian population exceeds Jewish population says U.S. government
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 02 March 2005 02:49 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The population of Palestinians living in Israel, the Occupied Gaza Strip, Occupied East Jerusalem and rest of the Occupied West Bank combined now exceeds the number of Israeli Jews, a U.S. government report has revealed.

The Palestinian population stands at over 5.3 million while the Jewish population stands at 5.2 million ...

quote:
In addition to continued, serious human rights abuses by Israel and by Palestinians as well, the State Department report details a number of laws and policies in Israel which resemble apartheid -- a system of separate laws and rules for people of different races, religions or ethnicities in one country.

For example, the report points out that "the body of law governing Palestinians in the occupied territories derives from Ottoman, British Mandate, Jordanian, and Egyptian law, and Israeli military orders. Laws and regulations promulgated by the Palestinian Authority also are in force. Israeli settlers were subject [only] to Israeli law."

Electronic Intifadah

Vigilante
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8104

posted 02 March 2005 05:58 PM      Profile for Vigilante        Edit/Delete Post
It's funny when you bring up the issue of Palastinians being on course to out number Israeles in Israel itself. People like Macabee like to avoid the question and say 'we'll cross that bridge when we get there'. There in lies a critical thinking bankrupsy on those who are pro-Israel.

What scares me is the fact that the more fundamentalist Israelis are on course to outnumber the 'secular' ones. This combined with the growing Palestinian population and you may have a recipe for disaster.The words of Ben Gurion that guy who thought not enough were expelled may be revived in the future Israeli conciounceness.

The Israelis have to change not the Palestinians.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 02 March 2005 07:00 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think both sides need to change. Their choice is quite stark: live together or die together.
Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 02 March 2005 07:05 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Exactly. With the clear insistence that Israel, as the occupier, has the greatest responsibility; and that Palestinians rights, which are Human Rights, are not contingent upon the whims of the powerful.
From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 02 March 2005 07:08 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vigilante:
People like Macabee like to

How be you let Macabee make a post in this thread before getting on his case. Every thread doesn't have to start this way.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 03 March 2005 05:24 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:
Every thread doesn't have to start this way.

This *IS* the ME Forum, is it not?

I thought that was a requirement in here...

[ 03 March 2005: Message edited by: Hephaestion ]

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 03 March 2005 07:50 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh hush.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca