babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Cease-fire agreement reached

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Cease-fire agreement reached
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 07 February 2005 02:35 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
JERUSALEM (AP) — Israeli and Palestinian leaders will declare a formal end to more than four years of fighting at tomorrow's Mideast summit, both sides said today.

Israeli and Palestinian negotiators finalized the agreement during last-minute preparations Monday.

"The most important thing at the summit will be a mutual declaration of cessation of violence against each other," said Saeb Erekat, a Palestinian negotiator.

Erekat said the agreement also includes the establishment of joint committees to determine criteria for the release of Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails, and to oversee the gradual withdrawal of Israeli forces from Palestinian cities on the West Bank.
An Israeli government official, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed the ceasefire agreement, adding that the deal would also include an end to Palestinian incitement.

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
johnpauljones
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7554

posted 07 February 2005 02:59 PM      Profile for johnpauljones     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Good first step for all involved. Hopefully this discussion will lead to a true, safe and lasting peace for all.

Maybe, just maybe, we will see 2 states living side by side in harmony sooner than some think.

May the greeting of salam alecham be met with sholom alecham in all of the days to come.

From: City of Toronto | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 08 February 2005 09:37 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'll believe that there's a good faith ceasefire when I see it. Or rather, when I don't see it (it being senseless violence from either side) for a couple of weeks.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 08 February 2005 11:51 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is a good start.

Now the Palestinians must begin organizing an international campaign of boycotts and divestment to pressure Israel to give up the West Bank and East Jerusalem for a Palestinian state or become a true, pluralistic constitutional democracy with minority rights guarantees.

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 08 February 2005 12:42 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by WingNut:
This is a good start.

Now the Palestinians must begin organizing an international campaign of boycotts and divestment to pressure Israel to give up the West Bank and East Jerusalem for a Palestinian state or become a true, pluralistic constitutional democracy with minority rights guarantees.

Are they powerful enough to do that? What about the settlers?

From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 08 February 2005 01:11 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
With international support they are.

Israel's goal is fairly transparent: to leave Palestinians in enclaves of worthless desert or imprisoned within Gaza.

If the goal is a viable Palestinian state, then supporters of Israel must also demand a full withdrawl from the West Bank and East Jerusalem.

If Israel will not withdraw, then it either becomes a full-fledged apartheid state with the permament subjugation of the majority of its non-Jewish population or it affords full citizenship and rights in a federated state.

This is not a choice for Palestinians to make. It is a choice for Israel to make. And we can help Israel make that choice by making very clear that any continuation of apartheid policy will result in Israel being treated as a pariah state.

If the ceasefire holds, Israel no longer has any excuse not to negotiate in good faith.

Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 08 February 2005 01:19 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You know, there are about a million reasons to be completely cynical about this, but here's me hoping that good comes out of this.
From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
johnpauljones
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7554

posted 08 February 2005 01:23 PM      Profile for johnpauljones     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
If the ceasefire holds, Israel no longer has any excuse not to negotiate in good faith.

True and if it holds then the Palestinian Authority has demonstrated without a measure of doubt that they are in control of all factions including those "extremists" groups that have stated that they will not accept an Israeli state.

I can only hope that as I wrote above that this peace does hold and that they day of 2 states living as neighbours peacefully and trusting each other comes soon

edited to add:

according to the Toronto Star and the Associated press:

quote:
But the Palestinian militant group Hamas immediately called the deal into question. The group’s representative in Lebanon, Osama Hamdan, told The Associated Press it would not be bound by the Israeli-Palestinian ceasefire declarations.

Yet the ceasefire deal, and the sight of Sharon and Abbas smiling broadly as they leaned across a long white table to shake hands, were the clearest signs yet of momentum in the peace process after Yasser Arafat’s death in November and Abbas’s election to succeed him in January. An invitation to both sides to meet separately with U.S. President George W. Bush at the White House this spring added another round of momentum on the summit’s eve.

“We have agreed on halting all violent actions against Palestinians and Israelis wherever they are,” Abbas declared in a statement made after the meetings, as he, Sharon, Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and Jordan’s King Abdullah II sat at a round table.

Sharon made a similar pledge.

[ 08 February 2005: Message edited by: johnpauljones ]

Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 08 February 2005 01:27 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is a good first step. A good second step would be a cease-settlement-building agreement and a cease-wall-building agreement. A good third step would be Israel actually abiding by such an agreement rather than breaking it routinely like last time. A good fourth step might be a cease-destroying-houses-and-farms agreement. Perhaps a let-Palestinians-work-their-fields agreement. Possibly a cease-arresting-without-charge agreement and a cease-torture agreement. In the end, just maybe a cease-stopping-Palestinians-from-travelling-arbitrarily agreement; i.e. dismantling all the bloody checkpoints. Man, that's a lot of steps.

After all that, it might be possible to talk about actual territory, water access, road access, settlements, ending the subsidies to settlements, all the stuff that one would expect to be on the table of an actual peace deal.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 08 February 2005 02:28 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
True and if it holds then the Palestinian Authority has demonstrated without a measure of doubt that they are in control of all factions including those "extremists" groups that have stated that they will not accept an Israeli state.

Why is it required that the PA "control of all factions" but not Israel? Why is Israeli safet and security above Palestinian safety and security?

Such "qualifications" are intended to sabatoge any real negotiations through provocation.

johnpauljones
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7554

posted 08 February 2005 02:34 PM      Profile for johnpauljones     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Why is it required that the PA "control of all factions" but not Israel? Why is Israeli safet and security above Palestinian safety and security?

Such "qualifications" are intended to sabatoge any real negotiations through provocation.

Funny thing Wingnut. I did not disagree or edit your list of requirements for a true peace. Rather I added one more to your list.

To me it is granted that Israel will have to conterol all its factions. It is also granted that not one of the Israeli factions will come out and threaten to continue violence less then half of a day after a cease fire agreement was reached.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 08 February 2005 02:47 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
But I can't help but notice that many speak of Israeli security yet no one mentions Palestinian secuirty. You mention extremist Palestinians opposed to an Israeli state without acknowledging that Sharon opposes a Palestinian state and important Israeli factions support "transfer."

And no Israeli faction has threatened continued violence? None? Are you sure? What about Kach Kahane?

*Edited to add: for the record, I did not actually set any conditions.

[ 08 February 2005: Message edited by: WingNut ]

The Other Todd
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7964

posted 09 February 2005 03:25 PM      Profile for The Other Todd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hey, here's something funky I found at Electronic Intifada:

Palestinian Casualty Statistics

Total daily numbers of deaths & injuries - West Bank & Gaza (Current)
The Palestine Red Crescent Society's portal to statistics on Palestinian deaths and injuries by month, with the most recent month shown by day. Includes types of injury.

http://www.palestinercs.org/crisistables/table_of_figures.htm

Intifada Summary (Current)
The Palestine Red Crescent Society's portal to a variety of statistics on Palestinian deaths and injuries, and types of injury.

http://palestinercs.org/intifadasummary.htm

Casualties Database (Current)
Palestine Red Crescent Society resource searchable by date and date/region.

http://palestinercs.org/Database/index.htm

http://electronicintifada.net/bytopic/219.shtml

Forgive any apparent ghoulishness, but, this way, one can "watch" Israel's good behaviour.

Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 09 February 2005 04:18 PM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coyote:
You know, there are about a million reasons to be completely cynical about this, but here's me hoping that good comes out of this.

I hear you..if only Wingnut and others would instead of looking at sure ways to thwart an effort of peace.

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 09 February 2005 04:28 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm reserving comment for two weeks. Or less.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 09 February 2005 05:17 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Here is what I don't get. If the Israelis were able to ignore Yasser Arafat's attempts to bring about peace, isn't the Israeli government ignoring Abbas as well? It would be fairly easy to do.
From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 09 February 2005 05:29 PM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You are making an assumption that Arafat really wanted to bring about peace
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 09 February 2005 05:37 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
Any chance of a cease-fire here, at least as long as the one over there lasts?
From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 09 February 2005 05:40 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macabee:

Well, barring telepathy I don't see how one can readily distinguish Arafat's attempts to get peace from Abbas' attempts to get peace based on what they "really" want.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 09 February 2005 05:56 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

[Gollum font] Not listening! Not listening! Arafat is my friend! [/Gollum font]
If the negotiations fail, I suppose you'll blame Abass?

johnpauljones
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7554

posted 09 February 2005 05:59 PM      Profile for johnpauljones     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
CMOT I find it ironic that we are debating who to blame if the negotiations fail before they have really begun.

Speaking for myself I will not be blaming anyone but the participants if the negotiations fail. Since it takes 2 to tango.

Historically Israelis blame the Palestinian leadership and the Palestinians blame the Israeli leadership. Maybe both sides should look in the mirror and blame who they see in the mirror.

But let me ask you this. Who will you blame?

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 09 February 2005 06:03 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnpauljones:
CMOT I find it ironic that we are debating who to blame if the negotiations fail before they have really begun.

You may find it ironic, but CMOT said "if."

quote:
But let me ask you this. Who will you blame?

Now that's ironic.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bobolink
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5909

posted 09 February 2005 06:28 PM      Profile for Bobolink   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Winston Churchill once said, "I'd rather jaw, jaw, jaw, than war, war, war."
Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 09 February 2005 06:58 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

I hear you..if only Wingnut and others would instead of looking at sure ways to thwart an effort of peace.

Mac, don't use my words to troll Wingnut or anyone, alright? A simple "I agree" would have sufficed.

But RB has a point, as well. Now is the time to talk about peace - while always keeping a mindful eye on what happens on the ground. Until the bulldozers stop, I will remain very, very cautious in my optimism.

From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 09 February 2005 07:49 PM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by CMOT Dibbler:

[Gollum font] Not listening! Not listening! Arafat is my friend! [/Gollum font]
If the negotiations fail, I suppose you'll blame Abass?

No, I'll blame you

Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 09 February 2005 07:50 PM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Mac, don't use my words to troll Wingnut or anyone, alright? A simple "I agree" would have sufficed.

But RB has a point, as well. Now is the time to talk about peace - while always keeping a mindful eye on what happens on the ground. Until the bulldozers stop, I will remain very, very cautious in my optimism.

Coyote, I'll do what I want. You can too OK?

Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 09 February 2005 08:06 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You're very brave.
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 09 February 2005 11:29 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
[QUOTE] But let me ask you this. Who will you blame?

[/QUOTEIf the negotiations fail, I suspect it will be Arik not Abbas who causes them to collapse. He has everything to lose if a lasting peace is established. If Sharon isn't seen to be taking a hardline with the Palestinians he runs a very good chance of getting his brains blown out. If he doesn't get shot, he will be booted out of office at the next election which to him is probably a fate worse than death.

[ 09 February 2005: Message edited by: CMOT Dibbler ]

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 09 February 2005 11:51 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Stop trolling, Macabee. I mean it. If this thread goes to hell, you will be the reason for it - your post was the first provocation.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 10 February 2005 12:06 AM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
You're very brave.
Thank you

Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 10 February 2005 12:09 AM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:

Stop trolling, Macabee. I mean it. If this thread goes to hell, you will be the reason for it - your post was the first provocation.

I see so its a troll to point out how people react to an issue?...OK ...I guess...and I like your tough approach..

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 10 February 2005 12:10 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Trolling is what Macabee is best at. Well, that and defending murder.

Sorry, Michelle. I won't let our resident apologist for racist regimes bait me further.

lab rat
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8183

posted 10 February 2005 12:38 AM      Profile for lab rat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
let us take an honest look at the power relations and the economic arrangements. cease fire means nothing if you are thirsty and hungry.
From: turtle island | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 10 February 2005 04:23 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Palestinians Attack Israeli Settlements

Israel, Palestine breach ceasfire, renew violence

I personally think that both these sources are over-reacting in calling these incidents a 'breach'. Small flare-ups are inevitable at this point, especially since Hamas has not officially agreed to the ceasefire and the IDF has not fully pulled out of Gaza or the West Bank. Clearly, though, the people on the ground (both Hamas and IDF) need to stop being reactionary if the cease fire is to succeed.

I'd like to see the settlement construction halted during this ceasefire, and the settlement outposts actually dismantled. Abbas' firing of some key Gaza commanders seems to indicate that he is serious about controlling Palestinian violence.

quote:
On Friday, Abu Libdeh said, Abbas would meet with the militant leaders in Gaza and ``inform them that there is only one Palestinian Authority and one leadership, and (he) will not accept any measures that can subject our national project to dangers.''

Abu Libdeh added, ``The Palestinian Authority will not tolerate any actions that will sabotage the agreement reached with Israelis on a mutual cease-fire.''

In the very near future, we will see whether Abbas actually has the ability to control Hamas.

[ 10 February 2005: Message edited by: Briguy ]

Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 10 February 2005 07:28 PM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Trolling is what Macabee is best at. Well, that and defending murder.

Sorry, Michelle. I won't let our resident apologist for racist regimes bait me further.

So then this would be a much better example of a troll. And I too am sorry Michelle I will try not to let this person bait me further.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 10 February 2005 08:51 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Okay, good. You both got your last licks in, so let's let it end now.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Left Turn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7142

posted 11 February 2005 12:44 AM      Profile for Left Turn        Edit/Delete Post
Occupation army acknowledges fall of Qassam missiles, mortar shells on command and settlements in the Strip

So much for the ceasefire.

I never really thought the ceasefire would ammount to much because Israel continues to occupy the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Israeli withdrawal from the West Bank and Gaza Strip is a precursor to meaningful, honest negotiations, not the result of them. No negotiations conducted under occuptation can be meaningful.

Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 11 February 2005 01:32 AM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wrong, Tim. One negotiates precisely when there is a struggle, not when it has been won. If your logic prevailed, there could never be an end to the occupation.
The Other Todd
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7964

posted 12 February 2005 01:06 AM      Profile for The Other Todd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Briguy:Palestinians Attack Israeli Settlements

Israel, Palestine breach ceasfire, renew violence

I personally think that both these sources are over-reacting in calling these incidents a 'breach'. Small flare-ups are inevitable at this point, especially since Hamas has not officially agreed to the ceasefire and the IDF has not fully pulled out of Gaza or the West Bank. Clearly, though, the people on the ground (both Hamas and IDF) need to stop being reactionary if the cease fire is to succeed.

But both articles say the Palestinians were reacting to an attack on Palestinians (and we're not even including in the equation such things as land grabs, which are still going on). Why do they have to be held to some higher state of accountability?

Insurrection
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6622

posted 12 February 2005 01:37 AM      Profile for Insurrection     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
From Aqaba to Sharm: Fake Peace Festivals
From: exit in the world | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Left Turn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7142

posted 12 February 2005 09:26 PM      Profile for Left Turn        Edit/Delete Post
Coyote wrote:
quote:
Wrong, Tim. One negotiates precisely when there is a struggle, not when it has been won. If your logic prevailed, there could never be an end to the occupation.

What I am suggesting is this.

The Israeli Army withdraws from the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Israel stops building the aprtheid wall and expanding settlments. Then Abbas and Sharon sit down to work out a timeline for:
a) dismantling the wall
b) removing the settlers and settlements
c) releasing Palestinian prisoners form Israeli Prisons
d) allowing Palestinians living in the West Bank and Gaza Strip to immigrate to Israel

[ 12 February 2005: Message edited by: Tim Kennelly ]

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 28 February 2005 11:30 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Arrrggg. That's all I have to say. Maybe there will be no retaliation.
Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 28 February 2005 12:43 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Kennelly:
Coyote wrote:

What I am suggesting is this.

The Israeli Army withdraws from the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Israel stops building the aprtheid wall and expanding settlments. Then Abbas and Sharon sit down to work out a timeline for:
a) dismantling the wall
b) removing the settlers and settlements
c) releasing Palestinian prisoners form Israeli Prisons
d) allowing Palestinians living in the West Bank and Gaza Strip to immigrate to Israel

[ 12 February 2005: Message edited by: Tim Kennelly ]

And you know how much I agree with you. My only caveats would be on d) - that must be the refugees and their descendants; and that negotiation takes place the whole time. Setting preconditions to negotations is a trick of the powerful to avoid dialogue; a game that we must not engage in nor support.

Left Turn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7142

posted 01 March 2005 01:51 AM      Profile for Left Turn        Edit/Delete Post
Coyote, if Israel is serious about withdrawing from the West Bank and Gaza Strip, it will do so before it engages in negotiations that require the Palestinians to make any compromises.

The Israelis are essentially saying that yeah they'll negotiate with the Palestinians, but while the negotiations go on it will be business as usual.Also, as we have seen, it continues to be business asd usual after the negotiations. When are the Israelis going to walk the walk, and show that they mean peace, instead of just talking the talk?

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 01 March 2005 03:34 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Kennelly:
Coyote, if Israel is serious about withdrawing from the West Bank and Gaza Strip, it will do so before it engages in negotiations that require the Palestinians to make any compromises.

Exaclty... it is quite clear that Israel is not itnerested in the peace process, if it were it would have given up the WB in 1968.

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca