babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » What happened to the women held at Abu Ghraib?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: What happened to the women held at Abu Ghraib?
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 21 January 2005 07:35 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
"In November or December, I really can't remember, I was in a room and could hear sounds coming from outside," he says, drinking tea in an Amman hotel room. "The windows were broken, and they were covered with wooden panels. Sometimes I could hear screams and shouts. Women were calling for mercy. There were also children between the ages of 10 and 12. The children became hysterical. I was told the women were tortured in front of their children. One day, a sheik came back from a medical clinic where he'd been treated. He was in tears. 'What happened?' we asked. He told us he had seen a young girl, 15 years old, with internal bleeding. She had been raped over and over again by the soldiers, and she could no longer talk. He is a deeply religious man. But that night, he shouted at Allah. 'How is it possible that you are there and these things are happening?!' he said."

You can't read this and not hate them.

Anchoress
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4650

posted 21 January 2005 08:33 PM      Profile for Anchoress     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wingnut, where did this come from? Is there a link?
From: Vancouver babblers' meetup July 9 @ Cafe Deux Soleil! | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 21 January 2005 10:55 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sorry. Yes. It is a very long, well written, and morally exasperating article. I'm sorry I read it. All I feel is anger.

The American Prospect

Hailey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6438

posted 21 January 2005 11:03 PM      Profile for Hailey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I've not heard this information outside the context of this article. I couldn't even finish it.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 22 January 2005 09:24 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
We have heard anecdotal evidence of the torture of both women and children at Abu Ghraib -- didn't even the Taguba report include such reports? And didn't Seymour Hersh's original article refer to such reports?

It is going to be a long-term project for journalists and historians to assemble the truth about what went on -- and likely still does go on -- in that and other hell-houses the U.S. is operating right now. I can't see that any of the current investigations or trials is going to get at much of the truth, or deliver justice to the victims.

But one day these crimes will be on the record, and George Bush and his entire administration will wear them. If we all live that long, of course.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 22 January 2005 11:22 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
None of this is outside of what is 'normal' in military prisons anywhere. What is odd is the presumption that an American prison of this type would be different.

I have a Kurdish friend who supported the invasion, whom was quite shocked. The US army cultivation of an image of moral superiority has been quite effective. I think even most Iraqis were convinced that they would be different than the Army of Saddam and on some basic level more civilized.

Nope.

[ 22 January 2005: Message edited by: Cueball ]

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Américain Égalitaire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7911

posted 22 January 2005 01:45 PM      Profile for Américain Égalitaire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by skdadl:
We have heard anecdotal evidence of the torture of both women and children at Abu Ghraib -- didn't even the Taguba report include such reports? And didn't Seymour Hersh's original article refer to such reports?

It is going to be a long-term project for journalists and historians to assemble the truth about what went on -- and likely still does go on -- in that and other hell-houses the U.S. is operating right now. I can't see that any of the current investigations or trials is going to get at much of the truth, or deliver justice to the victims.

But one day these crimes will be on the record, and George Bush and his entire administration will wear them. If we all live that long, of course.

Skadl: One day I hope for formal international indictments. But this administration (witness their "exceptions" demanded of the Intermational Criminal Court) will throw its weight around however it can to make sure it never happens.

And, sadly, don't expect too many exposes from US journalists with the exceptions of Hersh and Palast. Most would land up like Gary Webb.

Not that the US, historically, has ever had any pangs of historical conscience over its escapades in Mexico, the Philippines, Vietnam or anywhere else.

I posted on this on Majorvictory64's threads over in USA. And I'll say the same thing here because it doesn't get said enough in the US -- it becomes easy for too many (thankfully not all) USians to look the other way because of our ingrained racism to non-White people. That's is what allows so many of our otherwise raised-God-fearing rural troops to put aside whatever qualms they have and commit these acts. Yes, they're following orders and they're told its to prevent another 9-11 and all that. But the ability to look a woman or child in the eye and throw the electrical charge switch over and over comes from somewhere else. It comes from the devaluation of some forms of human life.

And having lived in this society for four decades and been to almost every state I can tell you this is true. Again not for everyone -- thank God for the soldiers that are disobeying these orders. But for too many, in so many ways, they've been raised with a casual disregard for people who are different than they are. Why is it now so easy for the nutcase religious groups like Focus on the Family (who are sadly becoming "mainstream" in the US) to attack the tolerance project and Spongebob Squarepants? Because when you've been spoonfed hatred and mistrust of "the other" since you've been old enought to walk, it comes easy.

I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself to an audience of very intelligent and well-read Canadians who probably know far more about the US than the vast majority of USians. Sometimes its just therapy for me to get it off my chest. I can't even go this far with some of the people in the local peace groups. It gets frustrating some times.

From: Chardon, Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca