babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Is it getting worse?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it getting worse?
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 10 January 2005 09:51 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Brig. Gen. David Rodriguez told reporters at the Pentagon on Friday of an ominous new development in Iraq. "We've noticed in the recent couple of weeks," he said, "that the I.E.D.'s [improvised explosive devices] are all being built more powerfully, with more explosive effort in a smaller number of I.E.D.'s."

According to Bob Herbert of NYT. And then,

quote:
A roadside bomb destroyed a U.S. Bradley Fighting Vehicle in Baghdad on Monday, killing two American soldiers and wounding four, the U.S. military said.

Yahoo News

beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 10 January 2005 10:08 PM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Why, this merely indicates that George Bush was correct in taking the battle to where the terrorists live. Now all the terrorists' energy is devoted to Iraq instead of to attacking America. Every terrorist bomb in Iraq means one less bomb in Poughkeepsie or Omaha or.....

..... no. I can't. I just can't do it. I can't duplicate the rose-coloured glasses, everything's A-OK, freedom's-on-the-march blinkered mindset displayed by true-believing Bush supporters. Not even as parody. It's just too sickeningly out of whack with reality.

How long before the dolts wake up?

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Contrarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6477

posted 10 January 2005 10:13 PM      Profile for Contrarian     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I wonder if BushCo will ever wake up; they may have to have an army coup just to get rid of the delusional idiots.
From: pretty far west | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 10 January 2005 11:44 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Boy, I'd stay up late to watch the news if that ever happened!
From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 11 January 2005 03:17 AM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It's an interesting feature of the warmongers in charge of the US these days that they don't actually agree with the military itself about all that much. I used to think that the Bush regime was virtually a military coup, but it doesn't seem to be. A military contractor's coup, maybe. They agree with the military about the general concept of the US spending lots of cash on military things, of the US military being powerful, and of the US taking a fairly aggressive line on international relations.

But you get down to a slightly more detailed level, and the uniformed military tends to disagree with the Bushites about just how that money should be spent, how that power should be projected, what sort of aggressive line should be taken. And the uniformed military has tended to be losing these disagreements (this oversimplifies of course; there's plenty of factionalism in the US military). CBC show on Star Wars a couple nights ago suggested they don't really like the idea of deploying Star Wars, for instance--they'd rather keep on doing research and development until something useful comes out of it (whether that something useful is likely to be a missile defense system is another question). It's kind of weird, given the level of power the military seems to have, that they haven't managed a bit more control of what's going on in an overtly pro-military administration.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 11 January 2005 03:20 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
But you get down to a slightly more detailed level, and the uniformed military tends to disagree with the Bushites about just how that money should be spent, how that power should be projected, what sort of aggressive line should be taken. And the uniformed military has tended to be losing these disagreements (this oversimplifies of course; there's plenty of factionalism in the US military).

These general's are the post US army reform generals. The reform that happened after they got their assess kicked in Vietnam.

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca