babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Jordanian Prince Stripped of Title

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Jordanian Prince Stripped of Title
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 28 November 2004 07:12 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
MSNBC: Heir to Jordanian throne relieved of duties

quote:
AMMAN - Jordan’s King Abdullah relieved his half brother Prince Hamza of his duties as crown prince, royal palace sources said on Sunday.

The sources said the monarch told Crown Prince Hamza bin Hussein, 24, in a letter sent to him on Sunday that his “symbolic” duties as crown prince were holding him back from wider public and royal responsibilities.

Al Jazeera: Jordans King strips his half-brother of royal title

quote:
King Abdullah of Jordan has stripped his half-brother and heir apparent of his title as crown prince on Sunday.

King Abdullah announced at the state television on Sunday that the move was aimed at allowing Crown Prince Hamzah, 24, "to have more freedom of movement".

"As for the position of crown prince, I will continue, guided by the constitution and the good of our beloved Jordan and our noble Hashemite message, to give it my sincere attention", King Abdullah said in his message.

Hmm. Very odd.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 28 November 2004 07:31 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Maybe ol' Hamza was about to come out of the closet?
From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
yankcanuck
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5582

posted 28 November 2004 08:18 PM      Profile for yankcanuck     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
From the Al Jazeera article link above

"Crown Prince Hamzah was a favourite of the late King Hussein. He married Princess Noor last year. "

From: What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness? | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 28 November 2004 08:26 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by yankcanuck:
From the Al Jazeera article link above

"Crown Prince Hamzah was a favourite of the late King Hussein. He married Princess Noor last year. "

I....errr......um.......sorry.

From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 28 November 2004 08:26 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Like being married to a woman meant anything!

If I had a nickle....

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 28 November 2004 08:36 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Good point Heph. I wasn't thinking just then. However, if he was queer wouldn't the story have hit the British tabloids long before now? Hamza is, after all, royalty.
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 28 November 2004 08:52 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
It's amazing what can be covered up by "the royals", CMOT... relatives locked away in insane asylums, traitorous sympathies with Nazi Germany... oops! That was the Windsors!

Anyway, I'd think if the crown prince in a muslim country was queer, they would go to almost any lengths to shut it up. Of course, this is all just idle speculation. Still, it IS rather odd....

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 29 November 2004 07:45 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Anyway, I'd think if the crown prince in a muslim country was queer, they would go to almost any lengths to shut it up. Of course, this is all just idle speculation. Still, it IS rather odd....

*chiding Mode on*
Islam regards homosexuality as a sin, but there are gay Muslims and Muslims who support gay rights.
As with any religion their contradictions everywhere. I.e. Mohamed endorsed pacifism but sharia law specifically states that being gay is a capital offense. When it comes right down to it the Abrahamic religions don't really have anything positive to say about queer or women's rights. (I'm not really sure about Bah'i though)
*chiding mode off*

Would you say the Arab world is completely benighted and nasty when it comes to gay rights?
What about Lebanon and Morocco?

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca