babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Israel grooming Barghouti to lead PA?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Israel grooming Barghouti to lead PA?
Joel_Goldenberg
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5647

posted 22 November 2004 03:17 PM      Profile for Joel_Goldenberg        Edit/Delete Post
... at least according to Jonathan Pollard. Yes, I know many here don't like World Net Daily, but they are quoting Pollard.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=41570

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 22 November 2004 03:41 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Barghouti might say: "they want to trade me for a traitor," which is what Pollard is. Barghouti is not, clearly. Barghouti, on the other hand was sentenced for murder for giving inflamatory speeches, even though he can not be directly connected to any of the murders he accused of committing, so say the jurists who convicted him.

He has essentially been sentenced for murder for saying the word intifada in public.

And besides, now that he has an Israeli criminal record, he will make an execelent, new "no partner for peace."

I imagine Sharon is salivating at the prospect, but putting out his usual tongue in cheek protestations. They let Yassin out on just such a deal to, and look at all the milage that Sharon got out of him. Too bad he ded, and Yasser too, so... Barghouti is the natural choice.

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 22 November 2004 07:25 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Any way you read Pollard, this is an excellent way to undercut Barghouti.

How does Pollard still have "sources" is my question. And for whom is he working now?

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 22 November 2004 07:33 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
PM to you skdadl, unrelated to this thread. Its about a conference dedicated to Said at the U of T next weekend.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 22 November 2004 08:13 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I've read this speculation in more mainstream articles. But I read it differently. Seems to me that if you really don't want the guy, the best way to discredit him in the eyes of the average Palestinian is to imply that you do.
From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 22 November 2004 08:17 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Any future Palestinian leader takes on the Arfat curse of potentially being the Israeli Trojan Horse.
miles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7209

posted 26 November 2004 04:11 PM      Profile for miles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
CBC reports that
quote:
Palestinian leader Marwan Barghouti will not run in the upcoming presidential elections, an official said on Friday.

Instead, the 46-year-old leader of the current uprising will throw his support behind Mahmoud Abbas, the man favoured to become the next Palestinian leader.

Barghouti's decision comes the same day that Abbas agreed to hold internal elections within the ruling Fatah movement, a move that was seen as an attempt to head off the political challenge from Barghouti, his key rival.

[ 26 November 2004: Message edited by: miles ]

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 26 November 2004 08:48 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
USA Today (actually carries a story about Palestinians)

quote:
After the announcement, Barghouti's daughter, Ruba, 15, began weeping. "He is putting his confidence in the sell outs," she cried.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca