babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Hezbollah's TV channel permitted to broadcast in France

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Hezbollah's TV channel permitted to broadcast in France
The_Calling
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5377

posted 21 November 2004 01:39 AM      Profile for The_Calling   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
link

This is lunacy. When will the West stand up and say that all incitement of terrorism must end? No ifs, ands, or buts. If you support terrorism and are not a citizen you should be deported. If you support terrorism and are a citizen you should be behind bars under hate crime and hate speech laws that the US needs to enact, like just about every other Western country. This is requisite in the war on terror. And certainly terrorist propaganda channels should not be allowed to air in the West.

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 21 November 2004 03:54 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I watch al-Manar news fairly regularly.

It's no more biased than anything else on TV. The French realize this, evidently.

North America is a little less open-minded. Go figure, propaganda works here.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
The_Calling
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5377

posted 21 November 2004 04:06 AM      Profile for The_Calling   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Bias is irrelevant. The issue is its promotion of terrorism. France has been getting tough on incitement of terrorism within it so this action is very odd. Apparently, France approves of promotion of terrorism as long as it is done on foreign soil.

What else on TV advocates the ideology of extremist Islam and terrorism?

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 21 November 2004 05:23 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Have you ever watched al-Manar? Can you back up your accusations?

Does al-Manar advocate the ideology of extremist Islam and terrorism? I haven't seen it do that on its news broadcasts.

On the other hand, I've seen some fairly extremist violently anti-Arab views expressed on US networks. Should Fox and ABC be shut down?

[ed. missed this earlier...]

quote:
If you support terrorism and are a citizen you should be behind bars under hate crime and hate speech laws that the US needs to enact

France isn't the 51st state. The USA is not the world.

[ 21 November 2004: Message edited by: al-Qa'bong ]

lacabombi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7014

posted 21 November 2004 11:51 AM      Profile for lacabombi     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The_Calling,

I have read your posts in other threads and so far you seemed to me quite fair, rational and progressive. I am surprised as to what you wrote here.

First you seem to leave no room in your intellect for a concept called resistance. While Israel has an army that does its bidding, apparently armed opposition to Israel is "terrorism".

Second, and the question has been already asked, Have you watched "Al Manaar" ? Anti-semitic ? This is apparently the equivalent of the above label "terrorist". While armed opposition to Israel's Army is "terrorism", non-armed opposition to Israeli occupation and policies is "anti-semitism". No room for criticism.

In summary, one should be either pro-Israel or totally indifferent (= complacent). Any other option is terrorism or anti-semitism.

Finally one can safely sugest that France must know about some concept called resistance, which is certainly not terrorism. And "Al Manaara" is the media for that resistance.

aka Mycroft
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6640

posted 21 November 2004 10:42 PM      Profile for aka Mycroft     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I still love the irony that al-Jazeera is allowed to broadcast in Israel without any censorship while its effectively been banned in Canada through regulations that make it unprofitable for any Canadian cable or satellite system to air it.
The_Calling
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5377

posted 21 November 2004 11:32 PM      Profile for The_Calling   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Does al-Manar advocate the ideology of extremist Islam and terrorism? I haven't seen it do that on its news broadcasts.

Hezbollah's channel doesn't support radical Islam and terrorism????

quote:
On the other hand, I've seen some fairly extremist violently anti-Arab views expressed on US networks. Should Fox and ABC be shut down?

Fox is not allowed to air in Canada although Al-Jazzera is.

quote:
France isn't the 51st state. The USA is not the world.

I was talking about what the West must do to stamp out terrorist incitement, recruitment within its borders.

The USA doesn't have such laws. Just the other day there was an anti-American rally held by admirers of Ayatollah "Death to America, the 'Great Satan'" Khomeni--in Dearborn, Michigan. The FBI and law enforcement haven't done anything about having people who openly wish for the destruction of the USA living here.

I believe that the West is under threat from the ideology of radical Islamism. Hezbollah is a proponent of that ideology. Hence, having its views promoted is a threat to the West, in my view.

I do believe in resistance, which is legal under international law, but I don't believe that suicide bombings that the intentional slaughter of innocent people is justifiable.

Would you approve of aboriginal Canadians blowing up buses, cafes, movie theaters, etc. as "resistance" to the occupation of Canada? Let's not forget that the vast majority of us in the Americas are guilty of occupation as well.

[ 21 November 2004: Message edited by: The_Calling ]

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 22 November 2004 12:34 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You don't know what you are talking about.

quote:
I believe that the West is under threat from the ideology of radical Islamism. Hezbollah is a proponent of that ideology. Hence, having its views promoted is a threat to the West, in my view.

Since you acknowledge that your prejudice is caused by a "belief" and not by knowledge, I suppose you can be forgiven, and ignored.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 22 November 2004 12:43 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I don't believe that suicide bombings that the intentional slaughter of innocent people is justifiable.

Oh. So is it just the "intentional slaughter of innocent people" by suicide bomber you have a problem with? The hundred thousand killed by the USA is okay with you?

The_Calling
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5377

posted 22 November 2004 03:38 AM      Profile for The_Calling   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Since you acknowledge that your prejudice is caused by a "belief" and not by knowledge, I suppose you can be forgiven, and ignored.

Actually, the notion that the West is under threat from the ideology of radical Islamism is based on the words of radical Islamists themselves. They don't sugarcoat their beliefs and aims at all. I said "believe" merely to be diplomatic.

All intentional killing of innocents is murder and hence wrong. I make a distinction between that and self-defense operations, such as those undertaken by Israel that target terrorists, not innocents.

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 22 November 2004 09:04 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Fox is not allowed to air in Canada

Last week it was allowed in, as two threads in the media forum discussed. And since Faux News clearly incited for war in Iraq, a war that has cost tens of thousands of innocent lives, and is a mouthpiece for a particular organization, the Republican party, I don't see why the Hezbollah station shouldn't be allowed by the CRTC as well.

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 22 November 2004 05:01 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Whatever.
Hezbollah is an organization that formed in Lebanon which organized guerilla military resistance to the Israeli invasion of Lebanon. Amazingly, fighting an invasion often tended to involve killing people. The only reason anyone calls them terrorists is because the US is, partly deliberately, very bad at classification and they insist everyone follow their lead. So Canada, for instance, has declared Hezbollah terrorist, but not because our diplomats don't know better, just because our politicians are afraid to talk sense when there's an 800-pound gorilla in the room.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 22 November 2004 05:36 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by The_Calling:
Fox is not allowed to air in Canada although Al-Jazzera is.

Fox never bloody ASKED to air in Canada, a fact that they and their apologists like to ignore. A few months ago they finally got around to asking, and guess what? They're allowed to air.

A-J, on the other hand, is allowed to air under conditions so restrictive that no cable or satellite company will ever air it.

So your premise is 100% wrong.

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca