babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Al-Barghuthi wants top Palestinian post

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Al-Barghuthi wants top Palestinian post
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 17 November 2004 11:15 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Marwan al-Barghuthi, a Palestinian uprising leader jailed by Israel, plans to run in upcoming presidential elections, a person close to him said...

...Pressure on Israel to release al-Barghuthi would become intense if he wins.

"If the Palestinians are going to make this work against the really hardline elements, the Islamists and some of the people of Hamas, they're going to have to have a coalition of the young guard and the old guard," former US secretary of state James Baker told CNN on Friday.

"It would be really a very positive step in the right direction if Israel would release Marwan Barghuthi so that he could participate in bringing about this transition," he said.

click

Al-Aqsa Brigades endorse al-Barghuthi

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 17 November 2004 11:19 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What a cool way to get out of jail.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 17 November 2004 11:23 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Gaza 'hotheads' take on old guard

quote:
Two very public events have given Palestinians pause for thought in the last few days as they begin the post-Arafat era.

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 18 November 2004 06:23 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yup.
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 18 November 2004 07:28 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That's weird eh. I posted it after yours. Perhaps my genius is be prioritized.

Well yeah, that's thenew blood you were talking about. They think Oslo was a fraud, perpetrated on Arafat. But then you have the old guard Abbas and co, who support Oslo. The other day you suggested that Oslo was a mistake, as well. You see how this is complicated.

If you are anti-Oslo, you are with the most militant factions.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 18 November 2004 07:47 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Look it happened again... that is cool.
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 18 November 2004 07:49 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Wonder where this post'll show up in the order?

Much as I would prefer Mustafa to Marwan myself, I think the Palestinians have earned the right to choose whoever they want as a leader, and I will support that right - though with severe reservations if it turns out to be a Hamas voice. Cueball has demonstrated amply the sheer circumstantiality of all Israel's evidence against Marwan Barghouti as an individual. Perhaps he could bring an efficient, disciplined, cohesive program of liberation to the front.

Being able to keep Al Aksa in line is part of the job, that is why Marawan is the best candidate.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 18 November 2004 07:54 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Al-Aqsa endorses Barghuti, rejects Abbas

quote:
"Words cannot express the deep sorrow that we feel at the passing of our leader, the leader of the nation, president Arafat," Barghuti said Thursday in a statement conveyed by one of his lawyers.

"It's important to hold on to the national principles and values that were laid down by the martyred leader who has spent all his life implementing. We must retain our national unity, our commitment to the intifada and our commitment to real democracy and the establishment of law and order."

Not only does he talk the talk, but Israel will be happy to have him, Barghouti is a much better "no partner for peace than Abbas."

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 19 November 2004 04:06 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
listen man, with everthig else going on in the md-east I se war war war. Sad really. I really hoped that Oslco would bare some furit. Now I just see war, and I know what side I am on.
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 21 November 2004 06:36 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Threat from jail stirs Palestinian power struggle

quote:
The leaflet lists 10 names. Three of these — a financier, an administrator and a security official — were close to Arafat and are now linked to Abbas. “We expect to see tangible results in a month’s time or the brigades will use their guns to put an end to the corruption, establish revolutionary tribunals and set up gallows in the streets,” the leaflet warns.

Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 18 November 2004 07:35 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wonder where this post'll show up in the order?

Much as I would prefer Mustafa to Marwan myself, I think the Palestinians have earned the right to choose whoever they want as a leader, and I will support that right - though with severe reservations if it turns out to be a Hamas voice. Cueball has demonstrated amply the sheer circumstantiality of all Israel's evidence against Marwan Barghouti as an individual. Perhaps he could bring an efficient, disciplined, cohesive program of liberation to the front.

From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 19 November 2004 05:53 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hanan Ashrawi is an Anglican.
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 19 November 2004 05:53 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hanan Ashrawi is an Anglican.
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 18 November 2004 05:55 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Aren't the Al Aqsa brigades responsible for suicide bombings inside Israel?
From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 18 November 2004 07:18 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Yup.

OK, that's a little disturbing. Your sure this guy is secular social Democrat?
(There's something wrong with this thread. Your post should be after mine but it's above it. Rabble probably wants our money again! Damn you Judy Rebick! Damn you to hell! )

From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 18 November 2004 08:03 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The other day you suggested that Oslo was a mistake, as well. You see how this is complicated.

But......it was.......I'm not......you can't...bugger!

I really wish Michelle would fix this upside down post thingy, it's really irritating.

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 18 November 2004 08:50 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Being able to keep Al Aksa in line is part of the job, that is why Marawan is the best candidate.

If they are endorsing him, doesn't that mean he'll have difficulty slapping them down when the time comes?
I.e. Marwan you traitorous ass wipe! How dare you imprison our finest young men! We supported you God damn it! Prepare to reap the whirlwind!...
or am I wrong? Does Al aksa provide health care in the territories like Hamas does?

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 18 November 2004 08:59 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I can't even edit now!

If anyone is reading my last post, please forget the first bit about Al aksa g

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 18 November 2004 09:11 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
My apologies. I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking to type and that's why my last post was a little funky. I must have taken a breath at the wrong moment or something.
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 19 November 2004 05:07 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cueball:
What a cool way to get out of jail.

Who'll be fighting who?

miles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7209

posted 19 November 2004 03:54 PM      Profile for miles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Are there any Palestinian Christians who could become the next President of the Palestinian Authority?

It seems that the Christian Palestinian population is mentioned very infrequently

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca