babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » http://www.robert-fisk.com is down!

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: http://www.robert-fisk.com is down!
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 16 November 2004 08:19 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
When I tryed to connect to http://www.robert-fisk.com/ I got the following message:

Unable to Fetch Domain
The requested URL cannot be loaded.

Does this mean that Bush has shut down one of the most important sites on the 'net?

From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 16 November 2004 08:41 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That or they haven't renewed their DNS or failed to pay a bill.

[ 16 November 2004: Message edited by: WingNut ]

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 16 November 2004 08:57 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I dount Fisk has run out of money. Likely it is techincal problem.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 16 November 2004 08:58 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Makes me wonder. The ISM homepage, palsolidarity.org, is down too.
From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 16 November 2004 09:01 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well they went after Indymedia. But there is a good likley hood that ISM and Robert-Fisk have the same server.

[ 16 November 2004: Message edited by: Cueball ]

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 16 November 2004 09:09 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Speaking of who is down, has anyone noticed that Macabee is down. Perhaps he is now waiting for new talking points to be issued from Jerusalem, post Arafat.
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 16 November 2004 09:20 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
He is hosted with affinity.com which is up.
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 16 November 2004 09:30 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I used to use robertfisk.com and one day, I had a letter from someone who suggested that I check out the embedded links in one of his columns. Several of them were anti-Semitic hate sites. I took it down immediately and have never used robertfisk.com again. I always try to find his column in a different place -- and I usually can.
From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 16 November 2004 09:55 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, the robert-fisk site is NOT hosted by Mr Fisk himself. One can also find many of his articles at www.informationclearinghouse.info - yet once again, that site is not very careful in its choice of sources.
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 16 November 2004 09:58 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think the internet is a rough place to do business.

Which anti-semitic hate sites are are we talking about, and in which links can they be found at the Robert-Fisk.com site. I would like to look once the site is up again.

Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 16 November 2004 10:11 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm sorry, I can't answer that, cueball. I don't even know if it happened always or often or now-and-then. For me, it happened on one day when someone pointed it out to me in a column I had posted on rabble.ca -- and I checked a couple of the links, took down the column and didn't go back there again. But I didn't keep a record of the offending sites.
From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 16 November 2004 10:18 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh well, I'll keep tabs on the site. For me it is an excelent and easily usable resource, filled with detailed reporting by Mr. Fisk. I find it odd that Fisk doesn't involve himself in the site directly. It may be that complaints about linked material might have an impact. Sometimes, as you have discovered yourself with your expereince, the need to get the material out quickly, leads one into errors, simply by accident.

You Yourself, accidentally, and unwittingly, allowed Babble to host an article that linked to as site that linked to hate sute.

If it is a recurring problem that is another thing, entirely.

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 16 November 2004 10:54 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I find it odd that Fisk doesn't involve himself in the site directly.

The man's too busy getting brutalized by mobs of Afghans and railing against the Israeli/Egyptian/ Jordanian/Palestinian/Algerian/Libyan/Saudi/Iraqi/American government to worry about updating a web site. He's also writing book (which I intend to buy, at the first opportunity) . I don't think he has a lot of time on his hands.

From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 17 November 2004 04:15 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The site is still offline. I'll check again tomorow?
Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 17 November 2004 05:15 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cueball:
I think the internet is a rough place to do business.

Which anti-semitic hate sites are are we talking about, and in which links can they be found at the Robert-Fisk.com site. I would like to look once the site is up again.

Maybe the links are critical of Israel, but probably not anti-Semetic, anti-Etheopian, anti-Arab or anti-Russian.

From: North Of The Authoritarian Regime | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 18 November 2004 12:32 AM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think Sharon can tell the difference between criticism of Israel and anti-Semitism. She's talking about links imbedded in web-pages, not Fisk himself.
From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca