babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Can Palestinians move from the West Bank to Jordan?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Can Palestinians move from the West Bank to Jordan?
prowsej
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 798

posted 06 November 2004 05:10 PM      Profile for prowsej   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Can a Palestinian who is living in the West Bank go to Jordan (say, by walking or driving across the border)? Does Israel control the border between the West Bank and Jordan? Are there roads that exit the West Bank and go into Jordan (I assume so)?

Never having been to the Middle East, I can't answer these questions myself. Your help would be appreciated as it would sate my interest.

prowsej
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 798

posted 08 November 2004 02:32 PM      Profile for prowsej   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I find this excellent National Geographic web site which answers part of my question: it is possible to drive from the West Bank to Jordan on highway 40. Now I just don't know what sort of security checks there are along the highway and who controls the security.

[ 08 November 2004: Message edited by: prowsej ]

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 08 November 2004 02:50 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Check this map

The blue areas are Israeli settlements.

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
B.L. Zeebub LLD
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6914

posted 08 November 2004 04:02 PM      Profile for B.L. Zeebub LLD     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Israel controls the border. You will encounter various amounts of security depending on their whims.
From: A Devil of an Advocate | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
B.L. Zeebub LLD
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6914

posted 08 November 2004 04:02 PM      Profile for B.L. Zeebub LLD     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Technical error...

[ 08 November 2004: Message edited by: B.L. Zeebub LLD ]

B.L. Zeebub LLD
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6914

Technical error!

[ 08 November 2004: Message edited by: B.L. Zeebub LLD ]

B.L. Zeebub LLD
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6914

posted 08 November 2004 04:06 PM      Profile for B.L. Zeebub LLD     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Israel controls the border. You will encounter various amounts of security depending on their whims.
VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 08 November 2004 05:53 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Also check out this Isareli human rights site on what they call the Apartheid practise of forbidding certain roads to Palestinians.

There's a link on the left side called Forbidden Roads.

"The Forbidden Road Regime in the West Bank - An Apartheid Practice"

"...Israel restricts Palestinian travel on forty-one roads and sections of roads throughout the West Bank, totaling more than 700 kilometers of roadway (the report includes a detailed map of the Forbidden Roads Regime). .."

http://www.btselem.org/

[ 08 November 2004: Message edited by: VanLuke ]

salaam
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4670

posted 12 November 2004 04:50 PM      Profile for salaam     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It depends. The procedure is a little different depending on which town you are coming from, whether you have a Jordanian passport, whether you have a residence permit, and age among other rules. But basically you first need to fill out an application for a permit to leave from the Israeli government, which can take weeks to get. If your application is accepted you wait in line to get it. Once you have a permit, then you can wait in line to leave the town gate, contolled by Israeli security guards, while its open. Usually you rent a bus or take a "service", a shared taxi, with a driver who should have a valid permit to drive a vehicle with Israeli plates in the west bank. If you find one and get past the gate you drive to the designated checkpoint in your region, where you get to meet hundreds of other people stuck in a high security compound waiting for hours to get through. You may have to go through other checkpoints along the way. So long as your papers are all valid and in order with all the right stamps in the right places and you or any of your relatives or someone with a similar name or someone riding in the same vehicle as you is not on a list of people wanted for questioning you should be able to get to through without any trouble. The last part is waiting in line for a few hours more to get past the Israeli border control and, finally, move on to the Jordanian border control, then wait for the last time, till you get your entrance permit then you get all your luggage thoroughly searched with any shiny new stuff getting confiscated. Once you get your luggage packed again you can enter Jordan.
...getting back is an even worse hassle.

Actually without borders you could walk accross the hills faster.

[ 12 November 2004: Message edited by: salaam ]

prowsej
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 798

posted 12 November 2004 04:57 PM      Profile for prowsej   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thanks for that description. This isn't an issue that I see much discussion about.

In the next couple of years I'll have to head over to the West Bank as a tourist and look around myself. I wonder if there's any organizations that operate "Pro-Palestinian Propaganda tours for Anglophone Westerners"?

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 12 November 2004 06:48 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What a coincidence. Just yesterday I saw a road map published by the Israeli Tourist Bureau.

Gaza and the West Bank weren't even indicated on it.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
VanLuke
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7039

posted 12 November 2004 06:50 PM      Profile for VanLuke     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by al-Qa'bong:
What a coincidence. Just yesterday I saw a road map published by the Israeli Tourist Bureau.

Gaza and the West Bank weren't even indicated on it.

Check the roadmap at btselem linked above.
It shows you facts the Israeli government prefers you not know, like the apartheid regime it has instituted.

Here is the link again; click on Forbidden Roads
http://www.btselem.org/

[ 12 November 2004: Message edited by: VanLuke ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca