babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Arafat has AIDS?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Arafat has AIDS?
libertarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6136

posted 29 October 2004 03:19 PM      Profile for libertarian        Edit/Delete Post
I cannot recall where I picked up onthis idea, that Arafat has AIDS, but the symptoms a re consistant with that view. Apparently his sexual history would also be consistant.
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 29 October 2004 03:24 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think that you misread the news reports. Arafat has aides.
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 29 October 2004 03:26 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
No link, no knowledge evident of AIDS symptomology as it relates to Arafat's condition and rank speculation of Arafat's "sexual history" and you posted this in the "News" forum?

Well done.

From: Québec/Ontario | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 29 October 2004 03:27 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Nice. Speculate based on rumour.

In actuality, he may have leukemia:

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/494357.html

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 29 October 2004 03:28 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The speculation has long been that Arafat has Parkinson's disease. I've also heard stomach cancer, and the latest symptoms could be any kind of cancer, it sounds.

But this is all speculative, and unless you have a source, I'd try using Occam's Razor on this subject. Low red-blood-cell counts happen with many illnesses.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 29 October 2004 03:36 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
How would you know whether his sexual history is "consistent" with AIDS? What is a consistent sexual history for AIDS, other than having sex with someone who has AIDS? Do you know that one of his sexual partners had AIDS?
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
libertarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6136

posted 29 October 2004 03:50 PM      Profile for libertarian        Edit/Delete Post
Well, yes,yes,yes etc. As for rumours, isn't most of what we read based more on rumour than fact?
The rumours are of relations with men.

BTW why would the French "support him"? Isn't he a terrorist?

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 29 October 2004 04:21 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So you're assuming that he's got AIDS because he might be gay?
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 29 October 2004 04:23 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
P.S. This one also belongs in the Middle East forum, so I'm moving it there, because I'm a masochist.
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 29 October 2004 04:29 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by libertarian:
Well, yes,yes,yes etc. As for rumours, isn't most of what we read based more on rumour than fact? The rumours are of relations with men.

Maybe what you read is mostly rumour. However, it's hardly justification for rumour mongering here.

From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 29 October 2004 04:32 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Relations with men...how Victorian. This is the first time I've heard of these rumours, and believe you me, I've got my ear to the ground for this sort of thing.

...or does this have something to do with the racist stereotype regarding Arab men?

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 29 October 2004 04:34 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

About half the adult population of the world have those. I will venture to confess that I, even I, treasurer of BWAGA, have in an unguarded moment or so had those.

[ 29 October 2004: Message edited by: skdadl ]

praenomen3
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4758

posted 29 October 2004 04:35 PM      Profile for praenomen3        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by libertarian:
BTW why would the French "support him"? Isn't he a terrorist?

Kindred spirits, historically. And pragmatically, with the size and growing militancy of their Muslim population, they need to make amends after the hajib debacle. And finally, probably just wanted to piss off Bush some more. There's no downside for the French on this one.

Joel_Goldenberg
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5647

posted 29 October 2004 04:53 PM      Profile for Joel_Goldenberg        Edit/Delete Post
A former member of the Romanian secret service wrote a book in which he claimed to have witnessed Arafat having vigorous sex with his bodyguards.
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 29 October 2004 04:54 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
Aren't you a reporter for some bourgeois, anglo-centric West Island rag?

...oops, sorry...that's irrelevant. Do you have sources on this, Mr. Journalist?

Joel_Goldenberg
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5647

posted 29 October 2004 04:57 PM      Profile for Joel_Goldenberg        Edit/Delete Post
Ion Pacepa, Red Horizons. Inside the Romanian Secret Service—The Memoirs of Ceausescu's Spy Chief (London: Coronet Books, 1989)
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 29 October 2004 04:59 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
Thanks. Funny, it didn't occur to you to post that with your first comment. Journalistic integrity, these days...I tell you!

[ 29 October 2004: Message edited by: Hinterland ]

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 29 October 2004 05:00 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joel_Goldenberg:
A former member of the Romanian secret service wrote a book in which he claimed to have witnessed Arafat having vigorous sex with his bodyguards.

So? That doesn't mean he is dying of AIDS. He could have put on a condom before he had sex with the guy.

[ 29 October 2004: Message edited by: CMOT Dibbler ]

From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 29 October 2004 05:00 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
A former member of the Romanian secret service

Oh, those were charming people. They tried to kill one of the people I love most in the world.

Credibility: not high.

Joel_Goldenberg
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5647

posted 29 October 2004 05:01 PM      Profile for Joel_Goldenberg        Edit/Delete Post
Actually, a source the author spoke to witnessed the alleged assignation.

From the book:

(The witness was) Constantin Munteaunu, a general assigned to teach Arafat and the Palestinian Liberation Organization operations in deception and influence designed to fool the West into granting the organization recognition.

"I just called the microphone monitoring center to ask about the 'Fedayee,'" Arafat's code name, explained Munteaunu. "After the meeting with the Comrade, he went directly to the guest house and had dinner. At this very moment, the 'Fedayee' is in his bedroom making love to his bodyguard. The one I knew was his latest lover. He's playing tiger again. The officer monitoring his microphones connected me live with the bedroom, and the squawling almost broke my eardrums. Arafat was roaring like a tiger, and his lover yelping like a hyena."

Joel_Goldenberg
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5647

posted 29 October 2004 05:02 PM      Profile for Joel_Goldenberg        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by CMOT Dibbler:

So? That doesn't mean he is dying of AIDS. He could have put on a condom before he had sex with the guy.

I never claimed he has AIDS, only that he may have engaged in a homosexual relationship.

Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 29 October 2004 05:05 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
Actually, what you claimed was that he was having vigorous sex with his body-guards. Now we have to play 20 questions to tease out of you exactly what you were trying to communicate, Mr. Fourth Estate.

[ 29 October 2004: Message edited by: Hinterland ]

Joel_Goldenberg
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5647

posted 29 October 2004 05:05 PM      Profile for Joel_Goldenberg        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hinterland:
Aren't you a reporter for some bourgeois, anglo-centric West Island rag?

...oops, sorry...that's irrelevant. Do you have sources on this, Mr. Journalist?

Aren't you a regular poster on a left-leaning chat forum?

Ooops, that's irrelevant...

miles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7209

posted 29 October 2004 05:05 PM      Profile for miles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
i think that this thread is hilarious today.

it seems that in 24 hours we have gone from talking about who might succeed to why someone is sick.

arafat could have cancer, liver disease, heart problems, blood disorder, mono, lung infection, a ruptured appendix, hemerroids, shingles,

according to a nanny from asia who works for a split muslem/jewish family who have 2.5 children a dog and a gold fish....

wait for it....

he ate some really bad veggie chilly

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 29 October 2004 05:06 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I just called the microphone monitoring center to ask about the 'Fedayee,'" Arafat's code name, explained Munteaunu. "After the meeting with the Comrade, he went directly to the guest house and had dinner. At this very moment, the 'Fedayee' is in his bedroom making love to his bodyguard. The one I knew was his latest lover. He's playing tiger again. The officer monitoring his microphones connected me live with the bedroom, and the squawling almost broke my eardrums. Arafat was roaring like a tiger, and his lover yelping like a hyena."

I just got this image....

From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Joel_Goldenberg
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5647

posted 29 October 2004 05:07 PM      Profile for Joel_Goldenberg        Edit/Delete Post
Wel, actually, I was responding to your post here

quote:

Relations with men...how Victorian. This is the first time I've heard of these rumours, and believe you me, I've got my ear to the ground for this sort of thing.

...or does this have something to do with the racist stereotype regarding Arab men?

Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 29 October 2004 05:07 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Aren't you a regular poster on a left-leaning chat forum?

Ooops, that's irrelevant...

What a twit. Go back to writing ad copy for Fairview-Pointe Claire, ya hack.

Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 29 October 2004 05:07 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
quote:

For what it's worth, I read it over 20 years ago, in an interview with Oriana Fallaci in the November, 1981 Playboy. However, since Fallaci was famous for her hatred of both Arafat and homosexuals, I have no way of assessing the accuracy of her claims.

(And just in case anyone's wondering, the place where I used to get my hair cut had Playboy magazine, and I really DID read it for the articles -- anything to avoid looking at those pictures!)

There are references to it here:

http://tinyurl.com/6sz4z and the issue itself can be purchased through a number of sources if anyone cares.

Of course whether or not he is gay or has had male-male sex doesn't tell us anything about his health anyway.

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Joel_Goldenberg
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5647

posted 29 October 2004 05:08 PM      Profile for Joel_Goldenberg        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by miles:
i think that this thread is hilarious today.

it seems that in 24 hours we have gone from talking about who might succeed to why someone is sick.

arafat could have cancer, liver disease, heart problems, blood disorder, mono, lung infection, a ruptured appendix, hemerroids, shingles,

according to a nanny from asia who works for a split muslem/jewish family who have 2.5 children a dog and a gold fish....

wait for it....

he ate some really bad veggie chilly

LOL

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 29 October 2004 05:08 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Joel, you are expecting us to accept as an authority someone who made a career out of being "a master of deception"?

Yee hee hee.

How much do you know about the Ceaucescu villains, Joel?

Joel_Goldenberg
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5647

posted 29 October 2004 05:09 PM      Profile for Joel_Goldenberg        Edit/Delete Post
quote:

What a twit. Go back to writing ad copy for Fairview-Pointe Claire, ya hack.

Sorry, I write for the West End, not West Island, Suburban, We also have an East End edition now.

Joel_Goldenberg
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5647

posted 29 October 2004 05:11 PM      Profile for Joel_Goldenberg        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by skdadl:
Joel, you are expecting us to accept as an authority someone who made a career out of being "a master of deception"?

Yee hee hee.

How much do you know about the Ceaucescu villains, Joel?

I do know something about conditions under the Ceausescu regime, one of my colleagues comes from Romania. Not pleasant at all.

Joel_Goldenberg
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5647

posted 29 October 2004 05:12 PM      Profile for Joel_Goldenberg        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealityBites:
Of course whether or not he is gay or has had male-male sex doesn't tell us anything about his health anyway.

I agree

miles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7209

posted 29 October 2004 05:14 PM      Profile for miles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
sorry folks just spoke to the nanny again...

the family moslem / jewish the kids are bhuddist, jehova witness and a satan worshipper.

and arafat bathed in the chilly did not eat it.

sorry for the incorrect information i had some problems figuring out the sign language.

Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 29 October 2004 05:21 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Sorry, I write for the West End, not West Island, Suburban, We also have an East End edition now.

That's great.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 29 October 2004 05:38 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, I guess all this Arafat is gay stuff really makes the whole PA is homophobic somwhat suspect. Which is it Arafat is homophobic or homophilic?

The guy can just do no right, apparently!

Neither matters as there is no direct connection between supporting homophobic activities and the personal sexual tastes of politicians, just as there is no direct connections between AIDS and homosexuality.

What is most amazing, is that someone would engage in an overtly sisyphian project like coming to an explicitly queer positive web site and try and smear somone by calling him a 'fag.'

Hmmmm. Delicious.

[ 29 October 2004: Message edited by: Cueball ]

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 29 October 2004 07:25 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
Since goodness knows closeted politicians in deeply homophobic cultures are ALWAYS such good friends to their gay brethren.

God, what a fucking idiot you are.

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Publically Displayed Name
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5642

posted 29 October 2004 07:29 PM      Profile for Publically Displayed Name        Edit/Delete Post
The news in the Romanian revelation seems to be that Mr. Arafat might be a furry.
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 29 October 2004 07:33 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Since goodness knows closeted politicians in deeply homophobic cultures are ALWAYS such good friends to their gay brethren.

Wrong. Or more exactly right when the meaning is inverted because of your statements sarcastic nature. My statement:

quote:
Neither matters as there is no direct connection between supporting homophobic activities and the personal sexual tastes of politicians, just as there is no direct connections between AIDS and homosexuality.

I think I was pretty clear. How about an apology?

Or in liu of that try reading my posts, all the way through for content. Better even: don't read them -- the fact that I exist seems to disturb you, no matter what I say, so why not pretend I don't?

[ 29 October 2004: Message edited by: Cueball ]

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 29 October 2004 09:07 PM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
WAs he responding to you? I didn't interpret it that way at first.
From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 29 October 2004 09:21 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes. What did you think?
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 29 October 2004 10:30 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
RB, did you call Cueball a fucking idiot? I'm not clear either.
aka Mycroft
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6640

posted 29 October 2004 10:40 PM      Profile for aka Mycroft     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Yes, Ion Mihai Pacepa is his name I believe. As I recall his memoirs (which I read a few years ago) aren't very credible. What was especially amusing was how even though he was head of a fairly nasty secret service he never did anything wrong - any crimes committed were done by others. There were accusations that he deliberately sexed up his memoirs in order both to sell books and please his new CIA masters. Knowing a bit about Romania (my family is from there) a lot of what he wrote seemed to be somewhat over the top. I wouldn't trust anything Pacepa said unless it was backed up by other sources (ie other than his book, his so called "witness" doesn't count).

[ 29 October 2004: Message edited by: aka Mycroft ]

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 30 October 2004 02:13 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
They're saying he doesn't have leukemia. That having been said it could just be PR stuff.

There's always been rumors circulated about Arafat being homosexual. I don't really care if they're true or not, since they neither add to nor take away from a basic analysis of the Israeli/Palestinian situation.

[ 30 October 2004: Message edited by: DrConway ]

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 30 October 2004 03:38 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealityBites:
God, what a fucking idiot you are.

Unnecessary. Tone it down.

Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 30 October 2004 04:48 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Okay... I heard this rumour... I don't remember where, and I have no sources or links, but still, it's a good rumour...

See, I understand that Pope John Paul II doesn't really have Parkinson's. I understand that he really has AIDS, because he's been buggering half the College of Cardinals and every little alterboy he can lay his filthy old paws on for the past 20 years.

Oh, and I understand that a Mossad secret agent witnessed him via a hidden wiretap and camera while he was engaged in his catemite activities with one of his "boy toys", and the squealing and girlish giggling, which the Mossad agent originally thought was the young boy, was actually coming from the pontiff, who was dressed up as a nun and begging the lad to bugger him with a candlestick from the alter at St. Peter's Basilica.

Like I said, I can't remember where I heard this, and I have no proof that would stand up even in one of John Ashcroft's Star Chamber secret tribunals, but it's a hell of a good rumour, and besides, it's always fun to speculate about the deviant sexual proclivities of people we don't like.

Isn't it?

[ 30 October 2004: Message edited by: Hephaestion ]

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zaklamont
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5106

posted 01 November 2004 02:32 PM      Profile for Zaklamont        Edit/Delete Post
Arafat is still healthy enough to prononounce the same old bromides , now taking on an obscene quality, about how much he regrets, for example, people being blown up in a marketplace in Tel Aviv.

The fact is the PLO has refused, is refusing, and, it appears, will continue to refuse to take action against extremists. They say they fear a civil war. However, they have no problem with the possibility of a civil war in Israel over removal of settlements on the West Bank.

Arafat's pronouncements of regret on terrorism against a civilian population are both tiresome and cynical to the nth degree seeing his record on fighting Palestinian extremists (and documented suggestions the he himself is indirectly involved in some attacks).

From: Ottawa Ontario | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 01 November 2004 05:30 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Zaklamont, you're not playing fair. You're talking politics— take it elsewhere. This thread is reserved for titillation, innuendo and snide inferences, particularly as they pertain to lurid descriptions of sexual practices of the PLO leadership.

If you can't follow those simple rules, you'll have to leave this thread.

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
aka Mycroft
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6640

posted 01 November 2004 08:32 PM      Profile for aka Mycroft     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I hear Sharon is into three-ways.
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 03 November 2004 05:44 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The fact is the PLO has refused, is refusing, and, it appears, will continue to refuse to take action against extremists. They say they fear a civil war. However, they have no problem with the possibility of a civil war in Israel over removal of settlements on the West Bank.

An echo of Sharon's wild eyed accusasstions after the most recent attack. The way you guys take all of your talking points almost verbatinm from the butcher of Beiruit is truly astounding. Can't you think for yourselves. Do you rehearse this shite as a mantra?

Arafat is away for two days and Shraon pulls out the invective to show how intransigent all Palestinians are. Like, get real, there is supposed to be real change in less than two days. Firchissakes, it takes Israel a month to complete transission in the Knesset, but no Palestinians are all responsible for any act by a member of there people.

Insisting on stopping suicide bombing before negotiation is like the federal government insisting on the provinces erradicating murder, as a precondition to making health car transfer payments.

[ 03 November 2004: Message edited by: Cueball ]

prowsej
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 798

posted 06 November 2004 05:13 PM      Profile for prowsej   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
http://www.gaywired.com/article.cfm?section=9&id=4583
monkeyweather
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7307

posted 06 November 2004 08:52 PM      Profile for monkeyweather     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is one URL for one of the many articles about AIDS and Arafat floating around right now:
http://web.israelinsider.com/Articles/Diplomacy/4348.htm
Apparently, Mossad has copies of all of it, and if you ask one of them about the contents of the information from Pacepa they will fall over laughing at what's inside.

monkeyweather
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7307

posted 06 November 2004 09:00 PM      Profile for monkeyweather     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Also - apparently the French are ready for Arafat to depart their shores - in a box or out:

Paris Tells Palestinians to Remove Arafat
DEBKAfile Exclusive Report

November 7, 2004, 12:42 AM (GMT+02:00)

French president Jacques Chirac’s patience with the Palestinians’ desperate maneuvers to cover up Yasser Arafat’s demise has run out. DEBKAfile’s Paris and Washington sources reveal exclusively that Friday, November 5, exactly a week after Arafat was admitted to the Percy military hospital near Paris, the French president put in a call to the White House and informed President George W. Bush that it was all over.

>snip<
http://www.debka.com/article.php?aid=932

[ 06 November 2004: Message edited by: monkeyweather ]

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 06 November 2004 11:55 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
debka.com eh?

Today TV5 had a long piece on the vigil outside the hospital (lots of French flags), and the efforts being made to determine a successor to Arafat. There was no mention of Chirac trying to get rid of Arafat.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
monkeyweather
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7307

posted 07 November 2004 02:41 PM      Profile for monkeyweather     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hi Al -
I doubt we will EVER hear definitively what is wrong with Arafat, or what is happening behind closed doors in that hospital and around it.
It would be very inconvenient for a lot of people if it were announced that Arafat has AIDS or any of that info from Pacepa hit the mainstream. Muslim fundamentalists throughout the entire middle east would NOT approve of either story.

For now, it is - so far as I am concerned - speculation based on some very strange facts. Since it is very possible that our mainstream media will NOT talk about what in the heck is going on, we are left to piece together the story as best we can. Ala Rathergate.
I do not know the accuracy of the DEBKA report, but posted it in the absence of ANY solid news. Really, when you get right down to it - even if reports come in from a network news station, we are hardly in a position to go verify their stories, are we?
Having said that, I have read doctor's summation of Arafats symptoms, and I have less doubts about what ails the man than I do about his status in Paris right now.

Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 07 November 2004 02:47 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
According to Debka.com:

quote:
According to a top secret Canadian government report, the 9/11 terrorist attacks on New York, had a sequel two months later. On November 13, 2001, American Airlines flight 587 crashed over Queens, New York, shortly after takeoff from JFK killing all 265 people aboard. A captured al-Qaeda operative, Mohammed Mansour Jabarah, told Canadian intelligence investigators that a Montreal man who trained in Afghanistan alongside the 9/11 hijackers was responsible, using a small shoe bomb similar to the one used by convicted shoe bomber Richard Reid for his “suicide mission.” He named Abderraouf Jdey, a Canadian citizen known also as “Farouk the Tunisian.”

The most important news source...ever.

[ 07 November 2004: Message edited by: Hinterland ]

Guêpe
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4757

posted 07 November 2004 03:52 PM      Profile for Guêpe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well here's an article on the subject.

Does Arafat have AIDS?

It would be an interesting shake up to middle east politics if the PLO leader turned out to be gay or bi. ALthough I couldn't begin to speculate on what the reaction would be.

Here's a question though, lets say Arafat does have HIV/AIDS. (No matter how he contracted it), would "they" ever release that information?

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 07 November 2004 04:55 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oh, god. WorldNetDaily with fucking Sean Hannity's book advertised. You might as well have a weblink to the Soviet-era Pravda for all the objectivity there is on that site.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 07 November 2004 05:23 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I do not know the accuracy of the DEBKA report, but posted it in the absence of ANY solid news. Really, when you get right down to it - even if reports come in from a network news station, we are hardly in a position to go verify their stories, are we

Any solid news about what? That Chirac wants Arafat out of France? That's some source your site mentioned. As journalism this isn't even good gossip. Compare this:

quote:
French president Jacques Chirac’s patience with the Palestinians’ desperate maneuvers to cover up Yasser Arafat’s demise has run out. DEBKAfile’s Paris and Washington sources reveal exclusively that Friday...

to this:

quote:
President Jacques Chirac of France called Friday for a strong Europe to balance U.S. might even as he and other leaders appeared to back away, at a European Union summit meeting here, from proposed reforms to resuscitate Europe's economy.

"It is evident that Europe, now more than ever, must strengthen its unity and dynamism when faced with this great world power," Chirac said. "More than ever, we must reinforce Europe politically and economically."

source

The former cited a claim made by the nefarious "unnamed sources" while the latter actually provided a quote from the person.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Guêpe
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4757

posted 07 November 2004 06:39 PM      Profile for Guêpe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrConway:
Oh, god. WorldNetDaily with fucking Sean Hannity's book advertised. You might as well have a weblink to the Soviet-era Pravda for all the objectivity there is on that site.

Hey now...i didn't say anything to the objectivity...it was merely being provided as an example of what was being said out there...(personally it was the David Frum reference in the article that caught me)

now im about to do google search to find out who Sean Hannity is....cause i havnt a clue...*googles name* - oh Fox News. that's why I don't know him.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca