babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » if Arafat dies what next?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: if Arafat dies what next?
addie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7186

posted 27 October 2004 07:42 PM      Profile for addie        Edit/Delete Post
i just heard on the BBC that Arafat is "seriously" ill. They said that Israel will allow him to travel and that Jordanian doctors are seeing him now.

my question is who leads the Palestinians if Arafat died?

what happens next?

From: anchorage alaska as of 11/29/04 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 27 October 2004 10:01 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by addie:
i just heard on the BBC that Arafat is "seriously" ill. They said that Israel will allow him to travel and that Jordanian doctors are seeing him now.

my question is who leads the Palestinians if Arafat died?

what happens next?

One of his geriatric friends will take over and the corruption and mismanagement will continue.
I wish Mustafa Barghouti could have a shot at running the country.

From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
B.L. Zeebub LLD
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6914

posted 27 October 2004 10:07 PM      Profile for B.L. Zeebub LLD     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by CMOT Dibbler:

One of his geriatric friends will take over and the corruption and mismanagement will continue.
I wish Mustafa Barghouti could have a shot at running the country.

Sharon and his pals wouldn't let that happen. Heaven forbid a secular voice reappear on the scene in a big way. Not after they've spent so much time and energy deliberately stirring up the Hamas/Islamic Jihad hornets nest for the cameras.

From: A Devil of an Advocate | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 28 October 2004 03:00 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Precisely, they would pick one of the Hamas guys, call him leader and then stick him in the late Arafat's Ramallah prison. Then they would go on and on about "no partner for peace, no partner for peace, no partner for peace."
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 28 October 2004 12:37 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Who is likely to succeed Arafat? Who is his second in comand?
From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
kablunnanajuk
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7196

posted 29 October 2004 12:27 PM      Profile for kablunnanajuk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Mahmoud Abbas, the former PM, is considered to be the most likely successor, I believe. He resigned that office when Arafat refused to give him any real power.
From: 2000km from home (by road) | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Red Roughnsore
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6040

posted 30 October 2004 04:34 AM      Profile for Red Roughnsore     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What's next? A long, nasty, protracted and drawn out blood bath among those who aspire to Arafat-head's mantle of power. Since Yasser-I-don't-mean-maybe doesn't exactly adhere to a democratic ideology, the chain-of-command is a tenuous one at best. His distrust of all who surround him, a common trait among despots and psychopaths, has led Ol' Side Arm Sam to avoid naming a successor to the PLA. Such incompetance/paranoia can only lead to a long, sloppy Corleone-Sollozo-Barzini type of feud. Of course, the Israelis will sit back and let the herd cull itself...before finishing off the job.

[ 30 October 2004: Message edited by: Red Roughnsore ]

Dondan
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7262

posted 03 November 2004 12:34 PM      Profile for Dondan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Red Roughnsore well pictures the chaos that will be more harshed and bloody than it is today. Hammas leaders will fight the Fatah/aL Aqsa and they will battle the Islamic Jihad...and so on. And all of them will fight Israel. I think that there is no immidiate solution for the problem, even not of third party intevension.
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 12 November 2004 04:51 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
They aren't all crzazed Barabarians you know. The reaction may be more focussed on Israel, not each other. That said I think Fatah will lose control of Gaza entirely.

Marawan Barghouti, calls for continued Intifada.

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca