babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » On the Road to Civil War

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: On the Road to Civil War
Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 26 October 2004 09:11 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Uri Avnery:
Counterpunch:
quote:
The conquest of the army from the inside began long ago. The "arrangement" with the yeshivot (religious schools), that serve in the army as separate units, has allowed the entry of a huge Trojan horse. In any confrontation between their rabbis and their army commanders, the soldiers of the "arrangement yeshivot" will obey the rabbis. Worse: for years now, the settlers have systematically penetrated the ranks of the officers' corps, where they now constitute an even more dangerous Trojan horse.

The right-wing refusal to obey orders is unlike the left-wing conscientious objection. The leftist refusal is a personal stand, the rightist refusal a collective mutiny. On the left, a few hundred refused to serve the occupation, on the right, many thousands, even tens of thousands, will obey their rabbis' orders to refuse. As the Chief-of-Staff has warned, the army may disintegrate.

Scary stuff.

From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 26 October 2004 09:25 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What does all this mean exactly?
From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 26 October 2004 09:32 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Never mind, I think I see what he's getting at.

[ 27 October 2004: Message edited by: CMOT Dibbler ]

From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 27 October 2004 12:45 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That would be ok.

Now we know why they let Mr. Wiesglass out of his cage in order to talk about how the Gaza withdrawal was a plan to "freeze the peace process."

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 27 October 2004 12:48 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cueball:
That would be ok.

Now we know why they let Mr. Wiesglass out of his cage in order to talk about how the Gaza withdrawal was a plan to "freeze the peace process."

How is it okay? We are talking about an isreali Civil War. We are talking about the deaths of millions of Israelis (Arab and Jewish) we are talking about the possibility of the settler movement establishing Jewish religious law in Israel proper. Israel has many flaws, but I certainly wouldn't want to see the Myer Kahane fan club in charge of the Israeli government. Have some empathy, please.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 27 October 2004 01:40 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I doubt a civil war would be that lethal. I think this is part hype really, but division within the right is always a good thing.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 27 October 2004 02:32 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
doubt a civil war would be that lethal. I think this is part hype really, but division within the right is always a good thing.

Your right of course, division in the Likud party is in the best interests of the anti occupation movement.
Now that I think about it, It's probably some wishful thinking on Uri Avnery's part. After years of saying that the settler movement is filled with extremist asshats, he wants to be proven right. I hope international community does intervene if there is a civil war. Do you think they will?

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 27 October 2004 03:43 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I would like to see what Macabee has to say on the subject. Where is he anyway?
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 28 October 2004 01:47 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And what is the likelihood of the Arab countries being drawn into an Israeli civil war?
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 28 October 2004 01:54 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
None, if they had any sense.
From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 28 October 2004 02:19 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You expect sense from countries whose royal families insist on appropriating all the oil wealth of a country and which still manage to run budget deficits every year?
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 28 October 2004 02:57 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You mean suck up all that wealth and still get the citizens to pay more. Hmmm, they sound like prudent business people, not committed idealogues.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca