babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Israel thinking of an image make-over

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Israel thinking of an image make-over
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 14 October 2004 12:33 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Israel 'worried over world image'

quote:
A secret Israeli report warns Israel's world image could fall as low as South Africa's during the apartheid era in the next decade, local media report.

Israeli army radio said the report had been prepared by the foreign ministry.

The station said the report's main finding was that Israel could end up being regarded as a pariah state.

No mention about changing the policies that are making Israel a pariah state.

Nope. The concern is with "image."

Sad, really.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bubbles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3787

posted 14 October 2004 02:19 AM      Profile for Bubbles        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The station said the report's main finding was that Israel could end up being regarded as a pariah state.

I guess they are still in a state of denial.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 14 October 2004 09:50 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think there is a reality TV show in there. Israel: Extreme Makeover.

"Well, 'Israeli Defense Forces' really needs rebranding, you know? How about 'Israeli Cleansers'? It tells people what they do and the idea of cleaning has such a positive ring to it, you know?"

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 14 October 2004 10:37 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Al Q, sadly enough, your link was on the same bbc page as this story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3739148.stm Another Palestinian schoolgirl has died of her IDF-inflicted shooting wound. What you said in another thread about one death being a tragedy and thousands a statistic (it was about Iraqis and Mr Bigley) is true, but I can't get the image of that sadistic commander shooting up the dead body of the Palestinian girl out of my head.

Note that the report was also concerned with "rising anti-semitism in Europe". That is two-pronged. On the one hand, it is the old canard of accusing critics of Israel of being anti-semites. On the other, REAL anti-semites (such as Haider, Jean-Marie Le Pen and the neo-fascist NPD in Germany) are all to eager to seize upon such events to nourish their venom.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 15 October 2004 02:32 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Jewish state fears world isolation

quote:
An internal report prepared by Israel's foreign ministry paints a gloomy picture for the future of the country's global standing, giving warning that in the coming decade it could suffer the pariah status of South Africa under apartheid.

The document, written in August and leaked this week, suggests that Israel and Europe will find themselves on a collision course that will cause serious economic and diplomatic damage to Israel.

And to solve the problem, Israel wants to try pablum shoved out in the media.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 15 October 2004 06:13 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well let's see? Image change? How about the name?

They could change the name of the country. That could could have numerous benefits, one would be that they could cleverly circumvent all those UN resolutions targetting Israel, given that their would be no Israel. The provisions of 242 would be meaningless, for lack of a subject. Another thing; people could simply stop asking people if "Israel has a right to exists," as if that means something -- the answer would clearly be it is irrelvant because there is no Israel. I mean it might have some draw backs, such as the cost of changing all the signs and everything but then that could be helpful too, as Arab militants might get lost on the way there.

Countries all over are changing names all the time, the USSR became Russia and Yugolsavia became a whole bunch of things when the people of the Balkans thought they needed a makeover. I think it should seriously be considered.

My suggestion for a new name: Zionistan!

What do people think?

[ 15 October 2004: Message edited by: Cueball ]

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bubbles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3787

posted 15 October 2004 10:15 AM      Profile for Bubbles        Edit/Delete Post
Would not work, the Usians would not know where to send their clusterbombs. They could rent it out as a USA army base (Ziontanamo), that way they would not have to be accountable to anyone. And the cost to the US would be minimal, since they pay for it already anyway.

Isrealtanamo ???

[ 15 October 2004: Message edited by: Bubbles ]

B.L. Zeebub LLD
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6914

posted 15 October 2004 11:55 AM      Profile for B.L. Zeebub LLD     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I really liked this bit from the Toronto Star version of this story:

quote:
A more influential Europe would likely demand greater Israeli compliance with international conventions and could try to limit Israel's freedom of action in its conflict with the Palestinians, analysts write.

EGADS! Israel might be forced to comply with the Geneva Conventions and the Security Council!

I mean, why should they worry. It's clear that Strawberry Fields are part of the Islamic Terror Network and need destroying. They should be able to sell that one, right?

From: A Devil of an Advocate | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dean Notes
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4480

posted 15 October 2004 12:17 PM      Profile for Dean Notes     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You guys need to take a hike. I'm glad the Pat Martin and the NDP are standing with Israel. We should support them in their efforts to ensure security for their citizens.
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 15 October 2004 12:28 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes. Absolutely. And we should also stand up in support of Palestinians who have the right to self-determionation and to protect their citizens from state terrorism. Don't you agree? ... ... ... Hello? HellloooOOOHH! ... Hmmmph! Must be hiking.
Dean Notes
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4480

posted 15 October 2004 12:31 PM      Profile for Dean Notes     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by WingNut:
Yes. Absolutely. And we should also stand up in support of Palestinians who have the right to self-determionation and to protect their citizens from state terrorism. Don't you agree? ... ... ... Hello? HellloooOOOHH! ... Hmmmph! Must be hiking.

Yes, I agree 100%. We should support Palestinians in their efforts to gain a homeland. On that note, who will join me in writing a letter to the Government of Jordan.

Because the Palestinians already have a country...it's called Jordan.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 15 October 2004 12:33 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ah, so the guy who believes so righteously in Israel's right to "defend" itslef is also a believer in ethnic cleansing. What a surprise. And if they don't go, because Israel is their home, do you propose a final solution?
Dean Notes
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4480

posted 15 October 2004 12:45 PM      Profile for Dean Notes     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Of course not. Is after all the Jewish people who suffered what you describe. I would suggest that Arab nations like Jordan open their borders to Palestinians, if they don't go, I suggest they get a leader who is interested in peace. Then we'll talk.
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 15 October 2004 12:54 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Of course we won't. Talking requires an open mind and dialogue. Anyone can mouth talking points and express bigotry as evidenced by your clumsy contribution.
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 15 October 2004 12:58 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Ol' Dean's bit the dust in another thread...
From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
praenomen3
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4758

posted 15 October 2004 03:53 PM      Profile for praenomen3        Edit/Delete Post
I may have posted this before, but it remains true that they had the all time best tongue-in-cheek international tourism campaign slogans ever:

"Israel: Nobody belongs here more than you."

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca