babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Christians in Jerusalem tired of being spat on

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Christians in Jerusalem tired of being spat on
aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 12 October 2004 09:52 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
"When there is an attack against Jews anywhere in the world, the Israeli government is incensed, so why when our religion and pride are hurt, don't they take harsher measures?" he asks.

(...)

There are an increased number at certain times of year, such as during the Purim holiday."I know Christians who lock themselves indoors during the entire Purim holiday," he says.

"I'm sure the phenomenon would end as soon as rabbis and well-known educators denounce it. In practice, rabbis of yeshivas ignore or even encourage it," he says.

Haaretz

Lest we forget that intolerance and religious fundamentalism go hand in hand no matter what the creed, and as an informational rebuttal to those who would try to insist that Muslim clergy, in particular, are the only clergy to turn a blind eye to the attacks of their followers upon others.

From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 12 October 2004 10:23 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, that is disgusting. Those ultra-Orthodox also spit on secular Jews - and especially secular Jewish women who are not "sufficiently covered" and have been known to smear shit on cars driving through on the Sabbath.

But do you really think most babblers associate fundamentalist intolerance - and violence - in the case of secular Jewish women some have been beaten by the Orthodox thugs - with Islam alone? Alas that is a notion one finds in the mainstream press - even in the US where there are fundy churches on every corner - but I find people on the left tend to shy away from attacking fundamentalist religion - ALL fundamentalist religion - because of a well-founded fear of finding themselves on the side of racists who hate Muslims or those they presume to be Muslims.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 12 October 2004 10:32 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Most babblers probably don't. But maybe aRoused is worrying that many/most North Americans do?

That, after all, is why rabble.ca is here, no? "News for the rest of us"?

aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 12 October 2004 11:04 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, not the average babbler per se, but elements in the popular press, other discussion boards, particularly those of a less progressive bent, and yes, occasionally people who have posted here, whether trolling or performing apologetics.
From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 12 October 2004 12:19 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
No question about that, aRoused. That is why, several years ago Alternatives hosted a conference Contre les intégrismeS/Against FundamentalismS - including "the fundamentalism of the market"...

I just fear a certain tendency among leftists to refuse to condemn Islamic fundamentalism because it would be "playing into the hands" of US imperialists, Israeli occupiers or whatever. I think that as leftist we have to stand up for secular principles against ALL fundamentalist religions.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 12 October 2004 12:32 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I second that.
Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 12 October 2004 01:47 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by lagatta:

I just fear a certain tendency among leftists to refuse to condemn Islamic fundamentalism because it would be "playing into the hands" of US imperialists, Israeli occupiers or whatever. I think that as leftist we have to stand up for secular principles against ALL fundamentalist religions.

I agree, lagatta. Point of fact, I do not believe it is all that common - most leftists I know have no use for terrorism of the Bush, Bin Laden, Sharon, or Hamas variety - but there is a small and vocal minority which considers all acts of resistance to be qualitatively the same. This is a serious failure of vision and morality.

From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 12 October 2004 03:03 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I highly doubt you would find anyone here who would "refuse to condemn" Islamic Fundamentalism.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca