babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Freed Italian backs Iraqi resistance

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Freed Italian backs Iraqi resistance
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 02 October 2004 05:45 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Freed Italian backs Iraqi resistance

quote:
"I said it before the kidnapping and I repeat it today," she told Corriere della Sera newspaper in an interview published on Friday.

"You have to distinguish between terrorism and resistance. The guerrilla war is justified, but I am against the kidnapping of civilians."

[snip]

She said she did not know whether Italy bought her freedom from the captors: "If a ransom was paid, then I am very sorry. But I know nothing about it. I believe that [the captors] were a very political, religious group and that in the end they were convinced that we were not enemies."

[ 02 October 2004: Message edited by: Cueball ]

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 02 October 2004 11:41 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Stockholm syndrome?
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 02 October 2004 12:17 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Why don't you ask Stockholm?
From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 02 October 2004 12:25 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That doesn't sound to me like Stockholm syndrome at all.

I think she believes what she says -- and she has certainly earned the benefit of the doubt. I'm not sure I could go as far as she has, but I don't feel qualified to criticize her, either.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 02 October 2004 12:31 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Piatkowski:
Why don't you ask Stockholm?

I'm referring to a rather well-documented phenomenon of transference of the kidnappers' viewpoints to the kidnappees.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 02 October 2004 12:47 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrConway:

I'm referring to a rather well-documented phenomenon of transference of the kidnappers' viewpoints to the kidnappees.

Yeah? Still sounds like our Stockholm to me . . . Kidnapped by Israeli apologists is my guess.

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 02 October 2004 12:50 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The two Simonas are members of an antiwar Italian NGO. Bully for Simona for sticking to her guns - remember, she does speak out against taking civilians hostage. But that said, like Robert Fisk, who was badly beaten by Afghan refugees as a Westerner although he is sympathetic to their plight, the two Simonas were damned lucky. A lot of fundamentalists would not have made such a distinction and would not have hesitate to kill the Italian aid workers in punishment for Berlusconi's policies.
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 02 October 2004 12:56 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, she is gutsy, but she is also at least partly lucky -- although maybe she "made" her luck. I would like to think so.

The Simonas did not change their political views: that is the point. Stockholm syndrome applies more to someone like Patty Hearst, who ended up sympathizing with people who had brutalized her and with whom she was not in sympathy before.

I can well imagine that the Simonas will insist on tweaking Berlusconi's nose in spite of this episode -- and good for them.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 02 October 2004 05:43 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Yes but she said that she held the view before her kidnap, so it is unlikely. She does not describe a moment of epiphany.

[ 02 October 2004: Message edited by: Cueball ]

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca