babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Jewish settler 'gets away' with murder

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Jewish settler 'gets away' with murder
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 29 September 2004 02:23 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Jewish settler 'gets away' with murder

quote:
"The settler parked his car on the right side…and stood in the middle of the road. When Salah Jibara arrived and slowed down thinking that the settler needed help, the settler aimed his M-16 at him, killing him on the spot," said Muhammed Shatiyya.

"Then the settler began praising God for killing him."

When a Palestinian passer-by asked why he shot him, the setttler said ..."It doesn't matter, he is only a Palestinian," according to the Jerusalem-based Palestinian Human Rights Monitoring Group which has investigated the incident.

linked fixed

[ 29 September 2004: Message edited by: Cueball ]

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 29 September 2004 06:52 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Your link is pointing somewhere else.
From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 29 September 2004 08:56 AM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think this is the story you are looking for.

Ha'aretz

This is an outrage. If the facts of the story in Ha'aretz can be verified along with the other violent incidents, Isreali National Police must be called into investigate immediatley.

aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 29 September 2004 09:23 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Is it not more likely to be investigated by the military police, since it happened in the West Bank?
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 29 September 2004 12:31 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And we all know how strenuously those guys pursue investigations.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patrick Mundy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6576

posted 29 September 2004 02:26 PM      Profile for Patrick Mundy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Don't worry, I'm sure will see a suicide counter-attack in response to this.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 29 September 2004 02:40 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Nope. You are wrong, this time. The other side of the bloody coin, the partners in terror, have responded with a rocket attack killing two children:

quote:
A rocket attack from the Gaza Strip killed two Israeli children at a southern town on Wednesday, the first such deadly Palestinian missile strike for three months, medics said.

Reuters

Patrick Mundy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6576

posted 29 September 2004 03:28 PM      Profile for Patrick Mundy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Damn, I thought it went suicide-attack, suicide-attack, THEN missile strike.

Like I said though, a response would be made.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 29 September 2004 04:25 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I thought it went invasion, occupation, settlement, opression, a war, settlment, various negotiations, more settlement, 20 years of more-or-less passive resistance, more settlement, and then armed resistance followed by a truce featuring the highest rate of settlement ever, a break down of the truce, more armed resistance, massive military retaliation killing 4 x as many Palestinians as Israeli's and then this guys shoots this cab driver and is let go.

I guess we can expect more settlement, next.

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 29 September 2004 04:30 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I guess we can expect more settlement, next.

That really is the only constant in this mess. Besides the 4:1 ratio, of course.

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 29 September 2004 04:59 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Actually, and have done some research on my own, and I read a study which showed the ratio was 10-1 during the Oslo truce.
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 29 September 2004 08:11 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, yeah. It goes down to 3:1 or 4:1 when the Palestinians fight back. When they're doing like the Israelis want and being peaceful and mature, it goes up to 10:1 because the Israelis don't generally respond in kind.

Such an incentive to stop the terrorism.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 29 September 2004 11:53 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Israeli democracy marches on...

login:latimes18485

password:latimes18485

Paramilitary border police detained two Palestinians at a checkpoint and beat them, forced one to drink urine and burned both with cigarettes, Israeli prosecutors charged Tuesday.

quote:
Human rights groups charge that abuses are frequently unreported, and relatively few are brought to court.

The Israeli human rights group B'Tselem said last week that hundreds of complaints have been filed annually, but the military over the last four years has conducted only 88 investigations into Palestinian deaths and injuries caused by soldiers and police. Twenty-two cases resulted in indictments, one in a manslaughter conviction, the group said.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 30 September 2004 07:35 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
See, that's why I asked about the MPs (border police) versus other police investigation.

I posted a link to an article several months back where a reporter followed a paratrooper unit on duty in the OT. Since assignment to units is based on aptitude, the paratroops get some of the most intelligent young Israelis. The MPs, by contrast, tend to get the dregs.

So the checkpoints are manned by, as the reporter put it 'the angry, the damaged, and the stupid' (paraphrased, no time to search for it), and the paratroopers get to deal with the consequences of the brutalities inflicted by their colleagues.

I think my reaction at the time was: 'Hell of a way to run a railroad'.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 30 September 2004 04:14 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Well, yeah. It goes down to 3:1 or 4:1 when the Palestinians fight back. When they're doing like the Israelis want and being peaceful and mature, it goes up to 10:1 because the Israelis don't generally respond in kind.

Exactly the case, and also the point. I wish I had the study on hand and the artilce, which I think came from Electronic Intifada.

Agent 204
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4668

posted 02 October 2004 11:29 AM      Profile for Agent 204   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
More misbehaviour by settlers
From: home of the Guess Who | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 08 October 2004 05:28 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca