babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Israeli army destroys Gaza homes

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Israeli army destroys Gaza homes
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 26 September 2004 05:34 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Israeli army destroys Gaza homes

quote:
Israeli army bulldozers have torn down the homes of more than 200 Palestinians in the Gaza refugee camp of Khan Yunis, United Nations aid officials say.

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
kukuchai
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6215

posted 28 September 2004 12:17 PM      Profile for kukuchai        Edit/Delete Post
I don't understand why they would do to others what was done to them so many years ago. One would think that of all the people in the world the Israelis would understand what it means to be hounded to death, disenfranchised, homeless, and landless. Or is "Do unto others what you would have them do unto you" just a Christian thing? Oh, but wait, George Bush is a Christian so my argument doesn't hold water. Sorry.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 28 September 2004 12:24 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The Israeli military says the operation - a day after mortars fired from Khan Yunis killed a Jewish settler - targeted buildings used by militants.

Yup. That little boy in the photo, trying to shift that pile of clothes lying on the bare ground, sure looks like a militant to me.

[ 28 September 2004: Message edited by: skdadl ]

Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 28 September 2004 01:04 PM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Is it ever possible that the story from BBc may be skewed? Is it ever possible that the Israeli authorities are telling the truth? Or do you just willy nilly believe everything you read ?

quote:
But the Israeli army said the UN's figures for the scale of the destruction were exaggerated and all the buildings destroyed were uninhabited structures used by Palestinian militants for shelling the settlement of Neve Dekalim.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 28 September 2004 01:13 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Uh, right, Macabee.

quote:
The BBC's Alan Johnston, in Gaza City, says it is not possible for journalists to visit the scene and see for themselves because the Israelis have shut the checkpoint on the road to Khan Yunis.

Israeli troops have shot dead a mentally ill Palestinian during a raid in Jenin refugee camp in the West Bank.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 28 September 2004 01:22 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I believe I recall reports that the IDF has mistreated BBC reporters in the past as well.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
B.L. Zeebub LLD
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6914

posted 28 September 2004 01:27 PM      Profile for B.L. Zeebub LLD     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Skdadl, the blocking of access is a perfectly understandable measure to protect the journalists from harm.
From: A Devil of an Advocate | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
B.L. Zeebub LLD
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6914

posted 28 September 2004 01:45 PM      Profile for B.L. Zeebub LLD     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macabee:
Is it ever possible that the story from BBc may be skewed? Is it ever possible that the Israeli authorities are telling the truth? Or do you just willy nilly believe everything you read ?

Macabee is quite correct to make this admonition. It is perfectly possible that Palestinians were actually shelling the (illegal) Neve Dekalim settlement from Khan Yunis, and that the IDF really are engaged in protecting the (illegal) settlement of Occupied Territory (in contravention of the Fourth Geneva Convention, and a host of United Nations General Assembly and Security Council resolutions.) Yes, it is indeed quite possible that this is what the IDF is doing.

[ 28 September 2004: Message edited by: B.L. Zeebub LLD ]

Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 28 September 2004 01:48 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
They should stop wanting to protect journalists. Or rather, we should stop. And in fact, I don't really care. I'd certainly put myself in danger if it meant getting at the real truth. Which is in fact what I think restricting journalists movements is doing; hiding the truth.

Some of the biggest problems today can be traced to everyone thinking they can see reality at a safe distance. That change can come with absolutely no personal sacrifice. What a con.

From: Québec/Ontario | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 28 September 2004 01:48 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Skdadl, the blocking of access is a perfectly understandable measure to protect the journalists from harm.

You misspelled the messy truth above. Hope this helps.

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 28 September 2004 01:51 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Food for thought indeed, B.L.Z.

I still feel I must reply to this:

quote:
Or do you just willy nilly believe everything you read ?

Hee. Hee. Hee.

Should I? Or should I just let it go ...

B.L. Zeebub LLD
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6914

posted 28 September 2004 01:53 PM      Profile for B.L. Zeebub LLD     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thanks, Briguy. In fact, I'm with you. The IDF is trying to protect the journalists from the shock of watching entire residential neighbourhoods flattened in an afternoon; from the sight of residents sent scurrying with little more than the clothes on their backs; from the sight of broken families, homes, and lives.

Can you blame them? They do the journalists a great service in shielding them from the harsh realities of the War on Terror (TM). Who knows what it might do to their digestion?

[ 28 September 2004: Message edited by: B.L. Zeebub LLD ]

aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 29 September 2004 06:43 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Should I? Or should I just let it go ...

Please, don't feed it.

From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 29 September 2004 04:31 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sorry B.L. My sarcasmometer has been on the fritz since I changed my name.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca