babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » The Great Middle East Forum Retread Thread Game!

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: The Great Middle East Forum Retread Thread Game!
John_D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5620

posted 23 September 2004 02:55 AM      Profile for John_D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

[ 23 September 2004: Message edited by: John_D ]

From: Workin' 9 to 2 in the 902. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 23 September 2004 03:59 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ok, I'll start!

John_D, you may think Antisemetism is funny but I don't.

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
John_D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5620

posted 23 September 2004 04:09 AM      Profile for John_D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 23 September 2004 04:49 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Are you some kind of Nazi?
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
John_D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5620

posted 23 September 2004 05:02 AM      Profile for John_D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 23 September 2004 01:38 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The eigenvectors in the phase plane are orthogonal today.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 23 September 2004 01:43 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
HUH?
From: In my Apartment!!!! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 23 September 2004 01:49 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
huzzah? Is this a warp zone thread?
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 23 September 2004 08:08 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The Komodo sleeps tonight.
From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
John_D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5620

posted 23 September 2004 08:42 PM      Profile for John_D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, I thought it was a funny idea, but I can accept the judgement of more seasoned babblers. Consider it dropped.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 23 September 2004 08:43 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I actually laughed out loud when I read this thread this afternoon - but since I couldn't say that without posting an original post in this thread, which is against the rules of the game, I didn't do it.

I think it's pretty funny, John.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen Gordon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4600

posted 23 September 2004 08:49 PM      Profile for Stephen Gordon        Edit/Delete Post
Me too. I tried to post, but it came out too lame: too much like a 42-year-old suburban family man trying to talk like a gangsta.

Maybe you can try your scoring system on some of the serious [sic] threads.

Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 23 September 2004 08:52 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
Oh, you shouldn't have deleted your posts. I thought it was funny, but I was just too lazy to play by the rules (...all that cutting and pasting and linking).
From: Québec/Ontario | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 23 September 2004 10:39 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I tried to make an original, off-the-wall post which would lose and gain me the right amount of points so as to leave me at zero.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fata Morgana
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6919

posted 23 September 2004 11:53 PM      Profile for Fata Morgana     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by John_D:
Well, I thought it was a funny idea, but I can accept the judgement of more seasoned babblers. Consider it dropped.

I'm very sorry that you deleted your postings, and I wish that I had saved them somewhere, because they made me laugh out loud. For Pete's sake, were people really that offended?

I would have liked to have played the game, but I've never posted on Middle East threads before, so I had nothing to cut and paste!

From: in our collective imagination | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 23 September 2004 11:59 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
For Pete's sake, were people really that offended?

I dunno. Who was offended?

John_D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5620

posted 24 September 2004 12:42 AM      Profile for John_D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Just to clarify, I deleted my posts about 2% out of an immature fit of pique, "they don't love my beautiful creation, I must destroy it!" and 98% out of a fear of being labelled a troll, especially since I have relatively few posts to my name. Well, maybe the ratio was 5%/95%, but I will admit to no more than that. I also have come to see, given your comments, that the game was too demanding of its players. However, I am convinced the scoring system can work. To make good the loss of my original posts, I'm planning to use it to analyze the recently de-railed Isreali General Strike thread. Once I am done, hopefully sometime tomorrow, I'll present you with a post-by-post recap and crown a winner here in this thread. So, within the next 24 hours or so, expect a re-posting of the scoring system (which may be slightly amended), and perhaps a recap of the play in the strike thread. If you don't see those posts by then, I have probably succumbed to reason and spent the time working on my thesis, instead. Or there was something good on TV.

Oh, and I trust no one was offended, at least, none that didn't deserve to be. I wasn't offended by any posts... well, except for that 5%. But no more!

PS - Oliver, I just realized I should mention that the (non-thesis related) book I am reading right now is C.V. Wedgwood's "The King's War: 1641-1647". You come across pretty well in it!

[ 24 September 2004: Message edited by: John_D ]

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 24 September 2004 04:17 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I screamed wiht laughter for fifteen minutes, I went to the bathroom still laughing. It was the funiiest poting on babble I have seen in a long time.It was great. I am sorry it is gone. Too bad. Just great! Really funny.

Thanks, I am sorry that you deleted your posts. Christall mighty, I even psoted it to some friends whom I thought would appreciate it!

Excelent! Well done! thanks!

aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 24 September 2004 05:28 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
But should we be hoping to win, or to lose badly, when John_D publishes the scores?
From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 24 September 2004 05:30 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ahh , now there is the rub. I was ahead with minus three, when the game was cancelled.
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 24 September 2004 08:41 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I was afraid to play! I thought that playing this game would get me labelled as Unserious. That is just too close to the truth, I'm afraid.

(of course, I did play, anyway. But that's not the point)

[ 24 September 2004: Message edited by: Briguy ]

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 24 September 2004 08:43 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by al-Qa'bong:
I dunno. Who was offended?

Not me. I thought it was freakin' hilarious. I didn't receive any complaints about it, either.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 24 September 2004 08:46 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cueball:
Thanks, I am sorry that you deleted your posts. Christall mighty, I even psoted it to some friends whom I thought would appreciate it!

Excelent! Well done! thanks!

Hey, if you posted it to some friends, did you happen to save a copy of it? Maybe you could PM it to me, so that I can restore the original post in this thread...I get the impression from John_D that he deleted it without saving a copy, which would mean he'd have to recreate it from scratch.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 24 September 2004 09:23 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I missed the whole thing! And it's only about 50 per cent clear to me what was going on. Please, someone, explain, or I will hold my breath until I turn blue.
aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 24 September 2004 09:57 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
John_D proposed a game wherein posters would try and 'tick the boxes' of a ME forum post-war-flame-up. Points were to be allocated for unoriginality and repetition and saying 'Nazi' and the like, IIRC.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 24 September 2004 10:05 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Was this to be played off an actual, pre-existing thread? Was one to lift comments already written?

Or would two people just keep calling each other disingenuous for a time?

Trying to figure out the scoring ...

aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 24 September 2004 10:52 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ooh, ya got me there. I didn't have time to fully read the instructions myself, and only Cueball got a chance to 'play'..
beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 24 September 2004 01:09 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I still don't get it. I'll just stick to crib.
John_D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5620

posted 24 September 2004 01:22 PM      Profile for John_D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Skdadl - originally the game was intended to be played in this thread, with posters pasting in responses they had made in other ME threads. This was my attempt to highlight a few people who make the same arguments over and over, but it made the game too much work to actually play. There were to be penalties for originality, civility, willingness to stay on topic, fairness to opponents, etc. I have decided it will work better with an already closed thread, so the only work required is for me to score it and report back.

I have divided the 98 post thread "Israeli General Strike!" into 4 24 post "quarters" (well, 3 24 and the last one 26), and am working on it now. The scoring has had to be slightly ameneded, as I had designed a system for active players who could try to cheat (so there were penalties against double posting and editing your post.) I would like, however, to reward double posters who do so out of a zeal to overwhelm with several crappy points rather than reveal with one reasoned post. I've also refined the system slightly once I noticed that serious posters could still end up with high scores.

Anyway, I didn't save a copy of my posts, so I am making this new system up from scratch. If the old one could be saved, that would be great, but only for archival reasons - the game has evolved beyond that.

Scoring for the "Israeli General Strike!" thread will be under the following system

- 1 point for any post which is combative, argumentative, and not entirely on the topic of labour issues, the specific strike action, etc.
- 1/2 point for any post which is on-topic, which asks non-rhetorical questions, which is respectful in tone, or in which a poster expresses agreement for a previous poster.
- Loss of 1 point for any post which expresses desire to return to the topic of the thread. Additional 1 point penalty for each useful, interesting, and topical link in said post.
- 1 to 5 style point bonus, awarded at the discretion of the referee, for sarcasm, answering questions not asked, rhetorical flourishes, evasiveness, logical fallacies, spelling flames, ad-hominems, mock wounded pride/ego/sensibilities, etc.
- 2 point bonus for the dreaded double post. 3 point bonus for a triple post. I assume you see the pattern.
- 3 point bonus for getting the last word, that is, the last post in the thread which a poster is continuing "major operations" in a flame war.
- Name dropping bonuses! 1 point for using the name of the poster directly above, and 1/2 point for using the name of the poster two slots above. These bonuses only apply if the name is in the body of the post, and if the usage is deemed not to be friendly or agreeable. Friendly use of names turns these bonuses into penalties. Using a derivative form of a name doubles the score.
- Buzzword bonuses! Specifically, 5 points for the first appearance of "Nazi", 4 points for the 7th appearance of "anti-semitism" or any similar form, and 4 points for the 4th appearance of "terrorist" or any similar form.
- Special 1/2 point bonus for any mention of US policy in Iraq, either pre-or-post Gulf War.

I will write up a first quarter re-cap post soon!

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 24 September 2004 01:27 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I attend with bated breath.
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 24 September 2004 01:39 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
I hope the game is as fun as reading the rules are.
Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 24 September 2004 01:52 PM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It seems a forgone conclusion as to who would win, no?

John_D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5620

posted 24 September 2004 03:34 PM      Profile for John_D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Let the games begin!

1st Quarter recap – the “Isreali General Strike!” thread.

For starting us off with a good topic and an informative link, DrConway racks up a disappointing -2. Hephaestion is little better, agreeing with the good Doctor, which earns him only ½ point. But our third poster, Macabee, gets the show started with a pithy one liner, pretending to be on the topic but introducing an element of comparing Israel’s civil freedoms favourably to other middle eastern countries. Nice touch, worth 2 bonus points. Skdadl fails to follow this obvious lead in to a flame war, and (sort of) agrees, so only ½ point for her!

Thankfully, Hinterland steps into the breech with our fifth post to start the fireworks. He calls Macabee out on making the same argument twice in one day, and accuses him of a “propaganda crusade”. However, I don’t sense the venom, so only 1 point is awarded. Pogge unfortunately goes back to a discussion of labour issues, but since the word “Iraq” is included he still gets a full point. Jingles enters the fray, and announces things are really on, accusing Macabee of “Arab/Muslim bash(ing)”. That is worth a bonus point, mostly for the insolent tone of calling Macabee “Mac”, but he loses ½ point for a friendly use of Hinterland’s name, for a total of 1½. Hephaestion comes in with a single word to pile-on, worth 1 point plus a 1 point bonus, but then in our 9th post, Hinterland unfortunately backs off from early aggressiveness. By expressing a desire not to see the thread go “tits-up”, he loses 1 point.

Hephaestion replies and has, unfortunately, caught the spirit of productive discussion. For being on topic, he gets only ½ point, but the two useful links drive him down to a loss of 1½. Cueball gets his first shot in with two informative links. Fortunately, they are used to rebut an argument, but unfortunately they are on-topic with strike issues. So, only ½ a point there. However, Cueball stays in the game with the first double post, worth 2 points, 1½ of which he wastes on a respectful, topical post and link. Another ½ point added. Macabee then swings back into action, not wanting to be outdone, and reels off an incredible triple post! The first is worth 2 points, with a style bonus for asserting skdadl made an argument that she did not exactly make. The second, with the 2 point double-post bonus, is worth 3 points, for an argumentative but uninspired effort. The third, even with a 3 point triple-post bonus, is worth only 2, as it loses a point for being respectful and responding to an on-topic post. Still, Macabee has shown that he came to play!

With our front-runner opening up such a big lead, other babblers realize they’ll have to work hard to get back into this thing. WingNut, in our 16th post, earns 1 plus a bonus half point for snidely bringing up American incompetence in backing Saddam in the 80’s. Hinterland earns 1 point for a post that, although it seems to offer advice on how to help the thread, is actually a polite challenge to Macabee. For using Macabee’s name he snags another ½ point. CMOT Dibbler makes his opening play, but it is a weak effort, on topic and particular poor for including an admission that the poster might be wrong about something, so it only earns ½ point. Skdadl returns with an equally weak shot, passing up a chance to get into a pissing match and instead respectfully clarifying (rather than obfuscating) her real position. ½ point. aRoused gets into the mix with a 1 pointer (nice work on the “Feh”).

At this point, with the 1st quarter nearing its end, Macabee comes back with a vengeance, earning 2 points in total, with a style bonus point for asking really asinine rhetorical questions. Skdadl replies with her own rhetorical question, a nice touch also worth two points. aRoused earns another point with his second post, although I don’t get the Pol Pot reference. And in a buzzer-beater which ought not have been offered, skdadl tries to steer back on topic, losing her a point.

So, at the first intermission, the score is:
Macabee way out in front, with 12 points
skdadl and aRoused tied for second, with 2 points
Hinterland, Jingles, and WingNut in fourth, with 1½ points
Hephaestion, Cueball, and Pogge in seventh, with 1 point
CMOT Dibbler in tenth, with ½ a point.
DrConway in eleventh and dead last, with -2 points.

Can anyone catch up with Macabee after his strong start? Will anyone break out of the pack between 1 and 2 points to establish themselves as a contender? Can the Doctor find the right prescription for his negative score? You’ll have to stay tuned to find out!

As for the highlight of the first quarter, it has to be Macabee turning what would have been a 1 point post into an amazing triple play worth 7! It’s going to take a lot to slow down this juggernaut, but I suspect the other players are already starting to sharpen their games!

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 24 September 2004 03:43 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

(And I say that even though, in my own private opinion, I am a nice guy.)

beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 24 September 2004 03:44 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

Ok that's going to have me giggling all day.

I never post in the ME forum. Now I kinda wish I had.

Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 24 September 2004 05:41 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is utterly hilarious.
From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 24 September 2004 06:00 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
Oh, this is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.
Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 24 September 2004 07:11 PM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is the kind of game babblers like to play, I suspect. One where the referee does all the work. That thread is small potatoes, though. Should he go back to some real doozies in the archive and score them?
From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 24 September 2004 07:37 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Does he have that kind of time on his hands?
From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 24 September 2004 07:42 PM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, he did make up this game .
From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 24 September 2004 07:46 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
He's not finished with this one. It's just the first quarter.

In the meantime, I think I'll prepare my right breast for the half-time show.

John_D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5620

posted 24 September 2004 10:34 PM      Profile for John_D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
2nd Quarter recap – the “Israeli General Strike!” thread.

As you may recall, Macabee (who Vegas odds have as a prohibitive favourite) comes into this quarter with a large lead. And he immediately shows why he is our leader, with a one-liner designed to start the off-topic shitstorm to end all off-topic shitstorms. For baldly asserting that Israel is a democracy, and asking “Do you quibble with that?”, as if he doesn’t know whether to expect any quibbles, Macabee racks up a 3 point style bonus on top of one point for the post. Another double post follows, with 1 point, plus 2 for the double post, plus 1 for the artistry in referring to himself as a “fall guy”. That’s 8 points in two posts!

Briguy enters next, with this game in danger of being won almost before it starts. Although his first post does criticize Likud policies, it is fair comment given the topic, and he gets only ½ points. Our 28th post, however, shows that someone is willing to try and stop Macabee’s runaway bullshit train. For picking up the argument Macabee started, and for the snarky “Would the Syrians?” comment, WingNut picks up 2 points in total. Perhaps sensing a threat from the pack, Macabee fires right back, albeit with a conciliatory-sounding post worth only ½ a point. Lamentably, the action dies down at this point, as both DrConway and lagatta weigh in with wide-ranging, thoughtful posts. I am forced to give them each ½ a point, but wish I could penalize them for the positive quality of their submissions. Actually, DrConway does slightly redeem his post by calling the security wall a “farce”.

Not to fear, though, as soon we’re back to the big guns ripping into each other! Post #32, from WingNut, is a solid one point effort in a continuing series of pointed rhetorical questions. Macabee takes the bait and is forced into a civil answer, worth only ½ a point. WingNut brings up another rhetorical question which doesn’t specifically mention Israel, and thus earns another point. Suddenly, the strategy is clear – trading 1 point for Macabee’s ½ will eventually wipe out the lead! However, other babblers want to get back in the game too, and aRoused needs points quicker, so smashes off a solid post with 2 bonus points for the sarcastic phrase “noble and perfect Israel” and 1 more bonus point for referring to “the tempo of your droning chant”, for a total of 4. At that, Macabee kicks his game into high gear, unleashing a double post. The first is another civil effort into which WingNut has lulled him, worth only ½, but the second is a snarky reply to aRoused worth 2 plus 2 bonus points for the double post.

WingNut, sensing the carefully laid plan being upset by aRoused’s more enthusiastic attack, ups the number of questions in post #38 but sticks to the same form. Still, it is only worth one point. B.L. Zeebub LLD, a new entrant, shows his inexperience with a wasted double post opportunity. The first post is a helpful agreement, worth only ½, but even that fraction of a point is wiped out by the friendly use of Macabee’s name. The second post has unfortunately been edited out of existence, and cannot be judged, so therefore it gets no points and forfeits the 2 point double post bonus. All that work for a big fat zero. Almost makes you feel sympathy for the Devil .

WingNut returns, and shows the difference between a rookie and a veteran in pressure situations, sticking with a successful strategy and nailing yet another 1 pointer question post. Macabee responds, and once again the heavyweights are duking it out. “Established only by you.” strikes me funny, so it’s worth a bonus point. WingNut responds, continuing to play a conservative game, but scoring a bonus point by characterizing the opposition as “all red in the face”. B.L. Zeebub returns and, although he does correct Macabee, he does so politely and only earns ½ point. Even that is lost by yet another polite use of Macabee’s name.

WingNut stays on task as the second quarter winds down, switching from questions to statements and playing the, er, devil’s advocate to a certain extent, picking up 1 more point. Cueball appears next, making his first appearance in this quarter. He needn’t have bothered, as it is just to ask an interesting question and post a relevant link, costing him ½ a point in total. Lagatta squeezes in her second post just a bit short of halftime, and reveals herself not to be a serious contender in this game – not only does she express happiness that the thread is getting back on track, she thanks another poster AND she doesn’t insult anyone. The post is worth a 1 point penalty, plus another 1 point off for using Cueball’s name in a positive context. The half does end on a high note, though, as Macabee gets in a 1 point response to WingNut. It remains civil, showing the effectiveness of WingNut’s strategy, but it does redeem itself by the condescending tone of “Believe me when I say that you could never make me red in the face”.

As the fans start to wonder who will expose a nipple during our half-time show, let’s recap the scores:
Macabee holds onto first place with 28½ points
WingNut moves up into second, with 10½ points
aRoused is in a distant third, with 6 points
skdadl holds onto fourth, with 2 points
Hinterland and Jingles are tied for fifth, with 1½ points
Hephaestion and Pogge are tied for seventh, with 1 point
Cueball, CMOT Dibbler, and Briguy all hold a share of ninth, with ½ a point
B.L. Zeebub LLD is in twelfth, with 0 points
DrConway and lagatta are tied for thirteenth (and last), with -1½ points

So WingNut has broken away from the pack to chase the frontrunner. The question is, did this move come too late? After all, sometimes you feel like a WingNut, but sometimes you don’t. And aRoused is still hanging around in the top three – can he make an early move in the second half? For that matter, can anyone still back in the pack position themselves for a run? Time is running out… and what’s up with DrConway and lagatta? Do they think they’re too good for this game? We’ll need to see a lot less reason and reasonableness out of them in the second half if they want to end up on the happy side of zero.

The highlight of the second quarter, and indeed of the first half, has to be the developing struggle between Macabee and WingNut. As they feel each other out in these early rounds, looking for weaknesses, one is reminded of watching two heavyweight prize-fighters, in the prime of their career, battling for a championship. Expect the knockout blows to come raining down in the second half!

(note: second half to appear over the weekend. And no, I don't have that much time on my hands, although this is a lot of fun to do. I could take on a couple of classic threads, but I couldn't commit to meeting any deadlines or anything...)

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 24 September 2004 10:56 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You might want to look at this thread from another forum, now that it is closed. It was rather lively, and I think my poor showing in the Israeli general strike thread, is partly due to my focus there.

Article in THIS magazine whitewashes extremist Izetbegovic Muslim gov't in Bosnia

Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 25 September 2004 12:28 AM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
Hilarious, John_D. Look forward to the rest.

And, now, what you've all been waiting for...

(_)(.)

...Sent your complaints here: info@crtc.gc.ca

Insurrection
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6622

posted 25 September 2004 01:07 AM      Profile for Insurrection     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, um it may not be quite as “pretty” as Janet Jackson’s but if you’ll allow me to say your nipple has an inner beauty that cannot be denied…

(this thread is hilarious btw)

From: exit in the world | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 25 September 2004 02:02 AM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is far and away the most fun I have ever had reading anything in this forum.
Raos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5702

posted 25 September 2004 02:04 AM      Profile for Raos     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hinterland, I am shocked and appauled that you would pull such a stunt. I think you owe anybody who is reading this serious and informative thread a heartfelt apology. You said you were going to prepare your right breast, and here I'm looking at left nipple! How could you do such a thing?
From: Sweet home Alaberta | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 25 September 2004 02:29 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ya, Hinterland. You owe us...well whatever would be $500,000 divided amongst however many of us saw that apalling display of boarskin.
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 25 September 2004 04:04 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
...and here I'm looking at left nipple! How could you do such a thing?

Whoops! Well, they didn't call me Alexia Dyslexia back in my pole-dancing days for nothing, did they?

robbie_dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 195

posted 25 September 2004 04:18 PM      Profile for robbie_dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I thought you were supposed to be wearing glitter "pasties?!"

(*)(*)

Wardrobe Malfunction! Wardrobe Malfunction!

Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 25 September 2004 04:20 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
Uh, I'm a little older now. The pasties wouldn't be that high.
John_D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5620

posted 26 September 2004 06:14 PM      Profile for John_D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
3rd Quarter recap – the “Israeli General Strike!” thread.

As the second half begins, WingNut needs to make up a lot of points to catch front-running Macabee. That’s why it’s so surprising that our challenger instead stays in a conservative style, reeling off a longer post that still contains rhetorical questions, but is lamentably non-combative in tone and contains the dreaded words “I agree”, albeit with a qualifier. Only 1 more point is earned, which may not be enough at this point. Macabee responds right away, and at first the tone is as before, mostly respectful. I must even, sadly, admit that he makes legitimate points in the first part of the post. But it seems Macabee has been playing the rope-a-dope, as he comes completely out of left field with a reference to beheadings in Iraq. (What does that have to do with a general strike in Israel? What a competitor!) For the completely off-topic non-sequitor, Macabee racks up the full 5 bonus points, for a total of 6. We also see our first use of the word terrorist.

By now, the game seems to be for second, so Michelle makes her first foray a strong one in post #51, with a one-liner turning Macabee’s intent on its head and criticizing the settlers. Easily worth 2 bonus points, for a total of 3. Hinterland tries to gain on the leaders as well, but is less inspired and wins only 1 point for references to “typical racism”. Macabee responds to Michelle’s challenge, and by admitting the settlers are “something else” he is agreeing with another poster, even if he does try to redeem it by keeping up the beheading angle. Only worth ½ a point. Hinterland returns and finds a more winning formula for the “beheaders vs settlers – moral equivalence” argument, saying that “at least the beheaders get it over with quick”. Although there may be an arguable point there, arguing it that baldly, and worth a snooty italicized use of French in the post to boot, is worth 3 bonus points if ever they were merited.

Macabee has founded a new sparring partner in Hinterland, and responds with the sarcastic suggestion that Canada return northern Ontario and Quebec to the natives. Wait a minute…. that’s actually a progressive idea! No style points for you, Macabee, even if it was offered in jest. 1 for the post only. Hinterland replies yet again, and earns one point for the fairly standard reply, plus another one for the use of Macabee’s name. And since the two of them have so successfully turned this quarter into a private tango, I’m awarding each 1 extra point for 5 consecutive posts in which they were talking only to themselves.

pogge breaks up this cha-cha of blah-blah with our post #57, asking for (without expecting to receive) evidence of Iraqi groups operating in Israel, for 2 total points. WingNut, threatened by the strength of Hinterland’s charge, posts again to second pogge’s point and earn 1 point, plus ½ for referring to the US quagmire in Iraq (linking it to Israel is a nice touch). Macabee, in a move slightly beneath a player of his caliber, plays dense in suggesting he doesn’t see the link pogge drew, so it is worth only 1 point. However, one successful double post later he is back on track, with 1 point, plus 2 for the double, plus 1 for the smarmy “It’s all Israel and America’s fault”, and 1 more for the use of “barbarians”.

CMOT Dibbler returns after a long absence, and as in the first post, shows a certain amount of critical faculties. He also takes a nuanced position on the Iraq war, and for failing to sound like somebody’s talking points earns only ½ a point. WingNut is next, and shows us how this sort of post should be handled, rattling off one point for the argumentative tone, plus ½ for the mention of Macabee’s name and another ½ for talking about US failure in Iraq. Macabee’s short response, “Only in your mind…”, is not great and worth only 1 point. Hinterland’s follow-up, which is far too direct and unsneaky an accusation of racism to be really effective, is also worth only 1. WingNut, however, picks the pace back up with a scolding “Tsk, tsk.”, and also fits in the second use of terrorists. This is worth 1 plus a bonus, for 2.

pogge comes back to asking for evidence of something he knows to be bullshit in post #66, but this well is dry now and only good for 1 point. CMOT Dibbler continues to underwhelm in the next post, admitting he has no evidence of his claims AND calling another poster an “intellectually honest and an honorable, decent human being”. Weak. If you don’t want to bring your “A” game, go post in one of the useful forums. Anyway, that’s another ½ point. caoimhin makes a late entry to the game, asking for a “vomiting smilie” on babble to respond to a distasteful phrase. Well, I’m not actually sure why the phrase “in the spirit of constructive discussion and progressiveness” is distasteful, but caoimhin thinks so, so it’s good enough for 1 point. al-Qa’bong earns 1 point for referring to Macabee as “our friendly flack”, but loses it right back by linking to a thought-provoking article.

And that brings us to the last 3 posts of the quarter. pogge caps off a strong quarter by mocking Richard Perle’s view on… well, does it matter? Mocking his view on anything is worth the effort. That’s worth one point, but more importantly pogge also says “terrorism”, “terror”, and “terrorists”, the 3rd, 4th, and 5th terror appearances respectively. The 4th one is key, as it brings with it a 4 point buzzword bonus, giving the surging pogge a total of 5 for the post! WingNut, for an extended discourse on US failures and deceits in Iraq, would have earned 1½ points, but one is thrown right back on the word “Agreement”. In this game, even an agreeing to statement as self-evident as “All rapes are repugnant” is costly. Come on folks, Macabee would have found a way to argue Palestinian rapists are morally worse than Israeli ones! That’s the kind of sophistry and soullessness that winning this game requires!

Hinterland finishes out the quarter with a 3 point effort, one for the post, one for using a poster’s real name “Kev” (and a derivative form at that), and one for “Nice to see you crawl out from under your bridge just to be a bitch.”

As the third quarter ends, and the concession stands run out of mustard for that $7.50 pretzel you just bought, here is our leaderboard:

Macabee extends his lead, sitting in first place with 44 points
WingNut stays in second, with 17½ points
Hinterland moves into third, with 12½ points
pogge, in a late charge, takes fourth with 9 points
aRoused is in fifth, with 6 points
Michelle snags sixth, with 3 points
skdadl is in seventh, with 2 points
CMOT Dibbler and Jingles are tied for eighth, with 1½ points
Hephaestion and caoimhin are tied for tenth, with 1 point
Cueball and Briguy are tied for twelfth, with ½ points
B.L. Zeebub LLD and al-Qa’bong are knotted up in fourteenth, with 0 points
Finally, DrConway and lagatta continue to bring up the rear, tied for sixteenth with -1½ points

Barring a last-minute miracle, Macabee has this thing sewn up. But there are two other podium positions up for grabs. Can WingNut and Hinterland hang onto the silver and bronze, respectively? (But not respectfully, of course.) Can pogge capitalize on that buzzword bonus and move up a spot of two? Is there still time for a late charge from the pack? You won’t know until I get bored of the late afternoon football games… uh, I mean, until I have time to finish writing up the 4th quarter. Which I am working on diligently. Right now. Yes, that’s the ticket.

As for a third quarter highlight, Macabee bringing in the Iraqi beheading angle early was a brilliant move. He needed to pad his lead, and he did by turning this thread into the kind of off-topic, wide-ranging “clash of civilizations” type battle where his tactics shine. In my many years of, uh, whatever it is that I do, I have seldom seen such a brilliant move to completely shift the ground of the discussion out from under the serious, on-topic posters. Bravo!

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 26 September 2004 06:26 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thanks for the tip. I now know that mocking is my best thing. I'll have to keep that in mind.

[ 26 September 2004: Message edited by: pogge ]

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 26 September 2004 06:35 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
I'm in third! Eat dirt, losers!
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 26 September 2004 06:45 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I've fallen back! Yay!

I fear, though, that something bad is about to happen in the fourth quarter: ie, I got up and started posting again.*

I've been laughing myself silly over this. John_D, I don't know what you're studying right now, but I think it's time we awarded you a babble PhD right now.

*Note: John_D, have you noticed that the logic of these threads is intimately connected with the sleeping habits of the participants? I don't know how you correct for that, but it seems to me a significant variable. Especially in the cold light of dawn, it seems to me a significant variable.

Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 26 September 2004 07:04 PM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Must admit, JohnD is a pretty fuuny guy. Im still laughing!!
John_D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5620

posted 26 September 2004 07:19 PM      Profile for John_D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thanks for all the plaudits. Especially you, Macabee. I am trying to remain even-handed, and I am thrilled to know that, despite being the "leader" of the game, you find it funny. (A lot of your lead is actually due to double and triple posting, actually.)

The main reason I have avoided posting in the ME forum is due to how polarized the debate gets. I am married to a Jew, so I have a certain sensitivity to the Israeli plight, and find a lot of redeeming value in the large and (until recently) dominant left wing there. I am also concerned about the injustices done to Palestinians, and think that there is more than enough blame for the current morass to spread to hard-liners and bigots on both sides, while praising the great mass of decent, ordinary people who live there. I am sort of hoping, in addition to being funny, that this game will encourage posters to moderate their posts somewhat and be a bit more civil.

With that said, I understand the passion on both sides. I cannot fault any Jew for wanting to defend his or her people and the nation of Israel. Nor can I fault any progressive for taken offence at the way residents of the West Bank and Gaza are treated. In fact, this issue reminds me in many ways of the abortion debate, where the great mass of people on both sides have nothing but the best of intentions, in fact, intentions so good that they are sometimes blinded to the possibility of compromise because they cannot understand how a person who doesn't share their viewpoint, rooted in goodness, can be a good person.

With my kumbaya-let's all be friends moment done, I apologize for delving into serious discussion here. This is supposed to be a fun, playful thread, so let's not get serious and thoughtful here! Game on!

PS skdadl, I would humbly accept a PhD, if one was offered. I also humbly suggest PhD Comics to any current, former, or future grad students. Finally, for the record, I am a Master's candidate at the School of Urban Planning, McGill University, and my thesis is on the effectiveness of station and neighbourhood design in increasing ridership on commuter train networks in the greater Montreal region. In case anyone is interested. By the way, most of the best stations are in the suburbs... notably Beaconsfield on the Dorion-Rigaud line, and Sainte Therese and Rosemere on the Blainville line.

Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 26 September 2004 08:33 PM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
There is an interesting touch of mimichekela in John_D

[ 26 September 2004: Message edited by: Macabee ]

John_D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5620

posted 28 September 2004 04:14 AM      Profile for John_D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
4th Quarter Recap – “Israeli General Strike!” Thread

I just had half an hour of work wiped out by some stupid problem in Word. I am consequently in a pissy mood, and will be especially hard in my scoring for the 4th quarter. Be warned! Well, don’t bother being warned, because you all already posted and can’t do anything about it. But be aware!

Macabee, not resting on his laurels even late in the game, starts us off with a 3 point effort, 1 for the post itself, 1 for the derivative form “Wingy”, and 1 for “Last I recall, Israel was in the Middle East.”, which is just self-evident enough to be biting. Cueball does little to climb into the race, wasting a key double post (and the 2 point bonus that goes with it) by posting an informative link in the first post, and objecting to the fact that the thread had been “deflected” off-topic in the second. No points for you! pogge, who has been climbing the leaderboard, shows the difference between on-topic and on-form by earning 1½ points for bringing up US treatment of Iraqi detainees. Unfortunately, the post could have been worth more, had pogge not said he can yell at Macabee without calling him a racist. Come on, call him a racist! You know you want to! This is the fourth quarter, no time to hold back!

Post #77, from CMOT Dibbler, is worth 1 point for being thoroughly off-topic, although it starts a dead-end conversation about Robert Fisk’s opinions of Saddam which contains far to little rhetoric and anger. Cueball earns a point in responding to this topic, but again everyone seems far too civil here. Get back to the beheadings, already! That’s where the big bonuses are! WingNut returns to a strategy that has been successful in earning second place, “examining” the question of whether Israel is a democracy and asking yet another question we all already know the answer to. That’s worth 1 point, and a double post following it gains another one, 2 for the double less 1 for the link which provides information rather than misinformation. beluga2’s first effort is a beaching, scolding others for getting off topic. If it were in my power to award negative style points, I would, but a -1 for the post will have to do. For shame, b2. For shame.

And so, after 81 posts, the top of our leaderboard looks like this:
Macabee – 47
WingNut – 19½
Hinterland – 12½
pogge – 10½
aRoused – 6

Briguy posts next, quoting beluga2 and saying simply “Macabee has succeeded.” This, if you ask me, is just envy not worthy of a top-notch competitor, and earns Briguy a -1. Thankfully, Macabee himself re-appears, ignores this burst of on-topicness (on-topicedness? on-topicity?) and fires off a 1 point reply to pogge. aRoused, running in fifth and low on time to catch up, fires off a brilliantly sarcastic response about Macabee’s assertion of who brought up faith first, which is worth 3 bonus points plus 1 for the post. Might have been worth 4 bonus, except I am not a fan of the rolling eyes smilie… condescension should be able to stand on its own. skdadl is our 85th poster, and she makes up some much needed points after a lull in the middle of the game, scoring 1 point for “Mac” instead of the full Macabee, and 2 for asking him whether he cares if people think he is stupid or not. Macabee more than rises to this challenge, citing an alleged violation of babble policy by skdadl and acting so wounded that our on-site medics have to check his pride for vital signs. Serious, “Loshen Hora” is a nice touch, and the whole tone and content of the reply is worth 4 bonus points, for a total of 5.

aRoused, in post #87, sarcastically refers to this game and the thread I started! To be honest, I am not certain how to score such a compliment fairly, but I will try. For mocking others for getting off topic, without trying to get back ON topic or expressing a desire to do so, I award 2 points. skdadl picks up where Macabee left off, pretending she doesn’t know what he’s referring to as name calling and earning 2 points in the process, 1 for the post and yet another for “Mac”. It might have been many more points, were it not for the phrase “The semantics are obviously not the point…” Have you not been paying attention?!!? Of course the semantics are the point! I call anti-semantism on this one.

So at the end of 88 posts, the top of our leaderboard is:
Macabee – 53
WingNut – 19½
Hinterland – 12½
aRoused – 12
pogge – 10½

Hinterland, facing a strong challenge to hold onto third place and a podium finish, responds to the charge that loshen hora is sinful by expressing gratitude he now has a sin to confess. I’d like to express gratitude in being able to give Hinterland 1 point for this, and in being able to say “Forgive me Father, for I have flamed. It has been 2 weeks since my last e-confession. I coveted another poster’s rhetorical flourish.” Ahem, excuse me, I have to go say about a jillion Hail Mary’s. Be back to the game in a second.

And we’re back! Macabee racks up yet more points by asking skdadl to stop the “deflection and sophistry”, and for repeating the phrase “loshen hora” the post is worth 2 points in all. skdadl replies to the deflection and sophistry charge with her own charges of conflation, non sequitur, and disingenuity. For introducing her own ethnic expression, and for making it a Scottish one (my maternal grandmother, nee Bruce, thanks you), skdadl answers back with 2 points of her own. Briguy joins in on skdadl’s side, earning 1 point for the “Mac” use (just for the name. For the record, I am not anti-PC) and 1 plus a bonus point for saying skdadl was only “commenting on the possible inferences of others” and not calling Mac stupid. skdadl doesn’t think you’re being an ass, just that others might conclude that. Right. And I don’t have an island I want to sell you, I just want you to consider that some people might accept money in exchange for land separated from other land on all sides by a body of water.

92 posts down, and 5 to go! aRoused is next, linking to the fantastic Flame Warriors catalogue and asking which one seems to be participating in this thread. I’ll have to treat this like that other link aRoused made to a work of comedic genius (*cough*) and award 2 points. Macabee responds simply by saying “Great link”, which it is. Unfortunately, being this agreeable earns you only ½ a point. Not that he needs to pad the lead this late in the game. No Yards makes a first appearance in the pen-penultimate post, and fires off the first use of “anti-semitic”, which comes far too late to help anyone else build towards a buzzword bonus. He does however earn 2 points for the post, an extended discussion of “Macabee’s world”, which might have been worth more points if it did not include admiration at Macabee’s ability to derail a topic. (That’s too close to a complement for my tastes!) Macabee shows up to make one last post in the thread, and he does not hold back, calling No Yards a liar, and closing by saying “All I can do is keep on exposing the lies and challenge the moral vacuity.” No, that is not all you can do… you also play a mean round of the Great Middle East Forum Retread Thread Game! 2 points for the post, plus 1 for using No Yards name. And as Macabee leaves the field of play, the crowd halts the game for several minutes, cheering wildly until their hero returns from the locker rooms to tip his cap and receive a standing ovation. Seldom have the fans seen such a proficient display, and they want to show their appreciation.

Our last post belongs to the heretofore last place DrConway. Clearly, someone has lit a fire under the Doctor’s behind, as he brings us home with a very strong effort, earning 1 for the post, 1 for using Macabee’s name, 1 for the phrase “Go back to increasing the entropy of the universe and stop wasting my time”, and 3 big bonus points for getting the last word. Also, for explicitly stating he wanted to get in a parting shot, despite the existence of a new, on-topic thread, I award another bonus point for finally getting into the spirit of the game. 7 points in total, and a great finish to what had been an embarrassing game for DrConway to that point.

Michelle, in her capacity as moderator, posts one last time to close the thread and officially declare the game ended. And with that, we move onto to the final scores:

THE TOP FIVE
Macabee is our runaway winner, with 58½ points
WingNut holds onto second place, with 19½ points
aRoused pips Hinterland at the post for third, with 14 points
Hinterland has to settle for fourth, with 13½ points
pogge finishes a strong fifth, with 10½ points

THE MIDDLE OF THE PACK
skdadl finishes well to take sixth, with 9 points
DrConway moves all the way up to seventh, with 5½ points
Michelle takes eighth place, with 3 points
CMOT Dibbler and Briguy tie for ninth place, with 2½ points
No Yards, starting late, still manages eleventh place, with 2 points

THE ALSO-RANS
Cueball and Jingles share twelfth place, with 1½ points
Hephaestion and caoimhin tie for fourteenth place, with 1 point
B.L Zeebub LLD and al Qa’bong tie for sixteenth place, narrowly avoiding the shame of a negative score, with 0 points

THE RELEGATION GROUP (aka THE “SO POSITIVE THEY ENDED UP IN THE NEGATIVES” GROUP)
beluga 2 finishes in eighteenth place with -1 points.
lagatta finishes in nineteenth and dead last with -1½ points

So, there you have it! A game full of twists and turns, a dominant performance by Macabee, and a fierce fight for second and third place! There were a lot of great individual performances and highlights. Macabee’s running battles at different points of the game with WingNut, Hinterland, and skdadl for example, DrConway’s fabulous 7 point shot to close the game, Macabee’s introduction of the beheading angle… which one was the best? What was the highlight of the night? Well, this is where YOU get to decide. That’s right, we’re taking YOUR votes on the highlight of the game. Simply post your vote in this thread, and we’ll see what you, the fan, thinks. Because, after all, without you none of this would be possible.

As Macabee points out violations of babble policy on his victory lap, WingNut signs autographs for the fans, and bronze medalist aRoused receives a special sportsmanship award for mentioning my thread, we bid you adieu from the first ever playing of the Great Middle East Forum Retread Thread Game! We hope you’ve enjoyed the show, and invite you to tune in again when old enemies return to battle in other threads. Good night, and God bless!

* “The Great Middle East Forum Retread Thread Game! is a production of John_D Entertainment, Inc. Any rebroadcast of these posts without the explicit written consent of John_D Entertainment, the moderators of the Middle East forum, and the GMEFRTG Players’ Association is strictly prohibited by state and federal law. All rights reserved.*

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 28 September 2004 07:50 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And John_D scores another !

Highlights -- gee, that's hard, but I guess I have to plump for that strong close of the Doc's -- well, for the way you scored it, anyway.

And on another front:

quote:
Originally posted by Macabee:
There is an interesting touch of mimichekela in John_D

Funny: I can't see a shred of hysterical self-righteousness in John_D m'self.

Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 28 September 2004 08:01 AM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well when things get less one dimensional for you look again.
aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 28 September 2004 08:41 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Boy, sore winner or what? And at the beginning you were all 's and banter. Now you're all grumpy and stuff--why?

Or did the scoring system force you to look inside yourself?

Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 28 September 2004 09:03 AM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Huh? I responded to a snide remark made to my post and you extrapolate all this? Well one thing for sure is that you have a vivid imagination .
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 28 September 2004 09:11 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ok ok ok, skdadl started it, skdadl's fault, sorry, sorry, let's be happy for John_D's sake, end post.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 28 September 2004 09:29 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The forum has evolved! It's become self-moderating! Oh joy, oh bliss!
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 28 September 2004 09:35 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Correction: skdadl has become self-moderating.

(I wanna see how John_D scores me there. I mean, I did a bad thing, but then I did a good thing, but oops! here I am doing a bad thing again, brown-nosing for points ... Gee, this is making me self-conscious.)

Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 28 September 2004 04:09 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The forum has evolved! It's become self-moderating! Oh joy, oh bliss!

Oh, sarcasm. Well that's very telling, isn't it Michelle

Typically Canadian performance by me. Chokes at the last minute and can't even get the bronze. I hate this game...HATE IT!

Seriously, this was excellent. I think it should go in the Best of Babble forum....as a cautionary tale, if nothing else.

[ 28 September 2004: Message edited by: Hinterland ]

John_D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5620

posted 28 September 2004 07:57 PM      Profile for John_D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I thought Macabee's comment was pretty benign. Well, at first, I didn't understand it, as I didn't really follow the board that much until about a year ago, and the reference was before my time. But I certainly didn't take any offense to it, and I don't think any was intended.

On the topic of the game itself, I am not sure how (or if) to go forward with it. Would there be interest in:

a) pulling out other closed threads from the "archives", perhaps by request?
b) scoring new threads in real-time?
c) scoring new threads, but only as they are winding down?

For the record, I waver between choices a and b.

I am also very concerned about shark-jumping. How many times can this be funny? Your input on these questions would be gratefully accepted. Further, if you didn't like the scoring system, or thought I was an unfair referee in any way, I would welcome comments as well. I would suggest that the discussion of the future of the game be public, to allow brainstorming, and discussion of concerns about the rules and/or judging inconsitencies be private, but this is just a suggestion.

Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 28 September 2004 08:17 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
On the topic of the game itself, I am not sure how (or if) to go forward with it. Would there be interest in:

a) pulling out other closed threads from the "archives", perhaps by request?
b) scoring new threads in real-time?
c) scoring new threads, but only as they are winding down?

No. John_D, this was hilarious, but I kind of think your work is done. I dont't think you're going to improve the timber of the ME threads here. If you could in fact edit posts to add colour commentary, that would be fun, but I doubt anyone's going to let you do that.

This is not an issue that can be resolved with laughter, unfortunately.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 28 September 2004 10:19 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'll still roar in laughter at other commentary on other threads, though.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca