babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » To say nothing of Arar...

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: To say nothing of Arar...
Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 11 September 2004 12:10 AM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Mourad Mazigh, brother of Maher Arar’s wife Monia, is scheduled as a witness in the Arar Inquiry into the arrest, deportation and torture of Maher Arar. When his testimony was postponed, Mr. Mazigh returned home to Tunisia in late July to resume his duties as a university professor. Within a week of his arrival, he was visited by officers from the Tunisian Intelligence Service. They had knowledge of events that could only have come from someone in Canada and Mazigh believes he was interrogated
at the request of Canadian officials.

http://www.maherarar.ca/news%20releases%20more.php?id=126_0_23_0_M

From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 11 September 2004 04:07 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
nice.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 11 September 2004 08:57 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I agree: this is a shocking story. It has been covered once in the Grope and Flail: that report included three comments of interest from others concerned:

Anne McClellan said something evasive but semi-damning in that panicked, defensive way that she has; the lead counsel (?) to the inquiry expressed some concern about the integrity of the inquiry, which he is determined to see remain uncompromised; and a spokesperson for Amnesty International talked about what Amnesty knows of the security services in Tunisia, which are known to engage in torture. He had no doubt that these "interviews" of Arar's in-laws would have been terrifying to them.

Who is it among our public servants, the people who represent us to the world and are supposed to be working for us, that still doesn't get it? The minister of "justice"? The RCMP?

Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 11 September 2004 11:03 AM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
David Harris' ex-colleagues in CSIS, probably. Of course, Juneau-Katsuya (the anti-Harris; sp?) has colleagues there too, but you can bet that the ones with power are Harris' friends.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 11 September 2004 11:26 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, I don't have her words in front of me, but it sounded to me that McClellan knew what was going on and felt defensive about it, which suggests to me that SHE doesn't get it either, and has been countenancing something that could undermine the government's own investigation -- which I think is outrageous.
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 11 September 2004 11:38 AM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
David Harris? Isn't he the idiot fear monger who has been telling us since 9/11 that Canada is an open target for terrorism? I saw him on CBC a couple of nights ago once again "alarminizing" that Canada was in extreme danger of being attacked because of the Australian Embassy attack in Indonesia(?)

Hasn't it sunk in yet that if terrorists wanted to attack Canada they would likely have done it already, and even if they were just taking their time, that all the security in the world (eg: USA Australia, Israel) does not stop a determined terrorist organization.

Harris, as all those "security experts" with less brains (or honour) than God gave lettuce, just uses fear to try and get us to believe that we need to throw heaps of money his way so fuckheads like him can "protect" us from other fuckheads like him.

If it's a choice between the terrorists or Harris and his ilk, I come down in favour of the terrorists. . . at least the terrorists usally have some kind of cause, and not in it just for the dam money

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 11 September 2004 01:50 PM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
David Harris, who is idiotic, is apparently a former director of CSIS who is now a consultant for people who want to listen to idiots. However, the saving grace is that Michel Juneau-Katsuya, who is relatively sane and intelligent, is also an ex-CSIS person who is IIRC also a consultant, but for people who want to listen to smart people.
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 11 September 2004 11:09 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by skdadl:
Anne McClellan said something evasive but semi-damning in that panicked, defensive way that she has...

Which is a slightly nuanced variation on her usual "I know you're all idiots, so let me explain it to you slowly" tone.

From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca